This was brought up in another thread a little bit back, but I want to address it directly. How is a diesel as a daily driver?

Allow me some background; I tend to change vehicles somewhat frequently (every other year or so, occasionally more depeding on daily/project etc) but this is starting to slow down. I have been through different interests, imports when I was younger, rotary, trucks, domestic. The only type of vehicle I have yet to own is a diesel, mainly out of ignorance. Since I was a kid i liked big trucks, and the diesel rumble always grabbed my attention.
The thing is, I don't really NEED a diesel for daily life. I occasionally tow my '66 or my sleds, but not super often. I work in an office so its not a job truck. The final kicker, I only drive around 20mi or so daily.

I was looking at older 12v cummins, and a price range of 12k or less (max). I'd love the extra torque of the diesel, and I admit i do like the "style" that presents itself with the big diesel trucks. Am I crazy for considering this, or is there practical value in a diesel as a daily?