OC on state owned land

hey, next time i come back to WI i was planning on a little " camping " trip. where i have the idea of staying is north of antigo, neer the Ice Age Trail by jack lake. i was wondering if any of you knew of any regulations of open carry for state owned land. also ive been reading up on OC, but i was wondering if there were any restrictions on what you can and cannot carry. all i currently have is a 20" mossy 590A1 and an Ar-15 Carbine. i do plan on getting an XD hopefully before hand, but i was wondering if ide catch too much shit if i carried the AR while i hiked and what not, incase i did run into some unhappy animals. thank you for all your help, i appreciate it.
    2011 Legacy
    Grocery Getter

That hasn't gone well. British_Ben's Avatar
    As I understand it, you cannot open carry a rifle because it is never technically "holstered".

People that know more, please correct me if I'm wrong.

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar
    It all depends on the area or zone. I'm sure the hunting season that you would be camping during would make a difference too.

Ol' School Ron North's Jewels Champion
    For more open carry information check out http://www.opencarry.org/ those guys will be able to help you out. I believe you can open carry a handgun in state parks now even in wisconsin because the federal goverment says its ok to do so. They will be able to provide you with more info and state statues to print out and take with you just in case.

thanks guys, yea the place im thinking about, is located down a long dirt road through the woods, on a small lake, theres usuallt no one out there. i dont know what type of land its concidered, but i used to fish back there all the time without a problem.
    2011 Legacy
    Grocery Getter

Quote Originally Posted by British_Ben View Post
    As I understand it, you cannot open carry a rifle because it is never technically "holstered".

People that know more, please correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last I knew, hunting while carrying a rifle was legal, I don't think a holster has anything to to with open carry. That is a good question however.

Second Amendment = Reset button for the Constitution.
    17 Yr. GM Master Technician, (Ret.)
    Type 01-Federal Firearms License Holder
    Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Contact me with your firearm needs
    '02 FLHTCUI- 95"- 106HP

That hasn't gone well. British_Ben's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coops Brother View Post
    Last I knew, hunting while carrying a rifle was legal, I don't think a holster has anything to to with open carry. That is a good question however.
    I think there's a provision for hunting. But you can't open carry and AR15 into a mall or a camping ground because it's never technically holstered; always drawn.

Again, I could be wrong, but this is what I heard.

I have seen guys walking out of gun shows, into the parking lots with their rifles slung on their shoulders, right past law enforcement, seems strange that if it were illegal they wouldn't be ticketing them, or worse

Class 3 NFA Dealer
    '02 FLHTCUI- 95"- 106HP

¶6. Applying these principles to open carry matters, we recognize that under certain circumstances, openly carrying a firearm may contribute to a disorderly conduct charge. But this determination must take into account the constitutional protection afforded by Article I, § 25 of the Wisconsin Constitution. The Department believes that mere open carry of a firearm, absent additional facts and circumstances, should not result in a disorderly conduct charge. For example, a hunter openly carrying a rifle or shotgun on his property during hunting season while quietly tracking game should not face a disorderly conduct charge. But if the same hunter carries the same rifle or shotgun through a crowded street while barking at a passerby, the conduct may lose its constitutional protection.

This taken from J.B. Van Hollens memo, read it all here: http://www.doj.state.wi.us/news/file...nCarryMemo.pdf

I read this as it is not illegal to walk down the street with a rifle, but is if you are screaming at someone. This has turned into my sunday quest for an answer...

Class 3 NFA Dealer
    '02 FLHTCUI- 95"- 106HP

LOL back to the original question....

Buy a small game license, and if anyone asks, tell them you are hunting coyotes, they are open all year, except gun deer seasons. Of course, you need to make sure the area that you will be in, is not posted no hunting.

Simple, at a cost of $18, buy it here:http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/cs/restypes.asp

Class 3 NFA Dealer
    '02 FLHTCUI- 95"- 106HP

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar

Buy a small game license, and if anyone asks, tell them you are hunting coyotes, they are open all year, except gun deer seasons. Of course, you need to make sure the area that you will be in, is not posted no hunting.

Simple, at a cost of $18, buy it here:http://dnr.wi.gov/org/caer/cs/restypes.asp
    You just have to be carefull on what cal. you are using and when down around here though. They have limitations. 'Hunting' yotes with a .338 Lapua might be a little obvious... . Up nort it probably wouldn't be that unheard of

It is illegal to:

• possess a rifle larger than .22 caliber rimfire or any .22 caliber centerfire or larger
    during the gun deer season in shotgun only deer hunting areas unless it is unloaded
    and enclosed within a carrying case
    http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/land/...s/SGHunt09.pdf

I thought there was limitations on the highest cal. rifle you can use in shotgun areas during any hunting season (due to bullet travel distance and residential areas). I'm probably wrong though. Somebody please correct me????
    Last edited by Lash; 05-09-2010 at 12:03 PM.

Said he was going around Antigo, so rifle is ok. And your quote applies to the gun deer season, past that, local regs take over. We've been through that discussion pertaining to Caledonia...

You are correct, but the DNR does not set the regs. on that. They only say no .22 or larger rifle to be in possesion during gun season in shotgun areas. However, some, (most) local statutes will probably not allow rifle fire within their town boundries. Antigo is not a shotgun area, so as long as he is on land that is ok for hunting, buy a small game lic. and carry your rifle.
    Last edited by Coops Brother; 05-09-2010 at 12:08 PM.

Class 3 NFA Dealer
    '02 FLHTCUI- 95"- 106HP

[QUOTE=Lash;642419] They have limitations. 'Hunting' yotes with a .338 Lapua might be a little obvious... . Up nort it probably wouldn't be that unheard of

They make a smaller caliber.....

Class 3 NFA Dealer
    '02 FLHTCUI- 95"- 106HP

After I read further down, the cost for active armed forces members...$0 sweet.

Class 3 NFA Dealer
    '02 FLHTCUI- 95"- 106HP

about the open carry of an AR, remember the guy at the obama rally that OC'd an AR with no problem? that was in a public polace alswo.

Email I Recieved the other day.

Mr. Kattner,

There is no ordinance that restricts firearms on County owned property.
    There may be regulations that prevent certain conditions, namely DNR
    regulations that would apply to County land. Examples would be carrying a
    rifle in a shotgun only area during gun season... or having lead shot in a
    waterfowl area where steel is only allowed.

Take Care.

Brad A. Henricks

Chief Deputy
    Langlade Co. Sheriff’s Dept.
    840 Clermont St.
    Antigo, WI 54409 715-627-6420
    bhenricks@co.langlade.wi.us
    2011 Legacy
    Grocery Getter

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    Print it out and carry that with you if you feel like it. Not really any need but you never know if it could be useful if you run across Deputy Barney Fife in Antigo.

Quote Originally Posted by MurphysLaw88GT View Post
    Print it out and carry that with you if you feel like it. Not really any need but you never know if it could be useful if you run across Deputy Barney Fife in Antigo.
    I was thinking the same thing
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now