That hasn't gone well. British_Ben's Avatar

Any Mazda dealer personnel on here?

Having problems with my speed6. Pipe up if you work at one of the local dealers. I've got a couple questions.

Thanks!

What kind of questions you want to know? Sorry for not catching your post earlier, I've never been in this section before.

Which dealer are you at?

Basically, my car pops out of 2nd gear all by itself and I can't really reproduce it, it just does it. It also sometimes grinds into 2nd and 3rd for no reason what so ever. It's still under warranty, I just wanted to know how hard this is going to be for me to get fixed and also if any dealership in the area has seen these cars with this problem.

The other issue I'm having is the famous smoking turbo problem. At idle the PCV system doesn't create enough vacuum to pull oil out of the turbo, so oil sits against the turbo seals and starts to leak through. Creates a nice stinky cloud at stop lights sometimes. Have you seen this/what will your dealer do to remedy this? Also, is there a PCV fix coming soon?

Thanks!

Im at Concours Motors. I havent seen anything like that with the transmission popping out of gear or the grinding into 3rd either. Mazda transmissions are traditionally kinda notchy in the first 3 gears. But no actual grinding. Does it pop out of gear under certain situations? Like only during left or right turns? Or only under hard accel? Something along lose lines. The turbo smoke issue, you just get a new turbo. Its not a PCV issue. Its the turbo seals leaking. Not a fun job to perform on my end, but thats the resolution. For a little while, Mazda was having us change the oil to 5W-40 Synthetic and then if the customer returned with the same issue, we would install a new turbo. I just heard in a Regional meeting last week that it will be changing back to replacing the turbo, period.

It mostly pops out of 2nd gear when turning left. Speed usually doesn't matter, but it tends to happen if I'm in say 5th, coast/brake to turn left and shift to 2nd and let the clutch out (once I'm slowed down enough, of course).

Regarding the turbo smoking; From what I've read it's a PVC issue, but I could be wrong. Info that I've read: http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showt...hp?t=123748050

I saw that same dealer info (not the same as a bulletin by the way, just sayin) Its obviously been way past the 90 days since that post was made (7/09) and we heard the same thing. In 90 days.... blah blah blah. I havent heard anything since, accept what I mentioned before. New turbo, period, nothing about a pcv update. Thats all I know about it. We've done about 4-5 Speed6 turbos and one CX-7 turbo. All have never returned for same issue after turbo replacement.
    The gear issue, I was asking because possibly the weight transfer of the car may be causing the shift cables to move during a turn or something which if they moved far enough, could cause it to shift out of gear on its own. Again, its nothing I have ever seen, but nothing really surprises me anymore. I would check to see that the shift cables are secured into their mount on top of the trans, below the battery tray.

Senior Member..now yer posting! deuceWI's Avatar
    Hi fellow Speed driver

I've got a Speed3 and browse some of the Mazda forums from time to time too. Have you looked into adjusting the shift cables or maybe look at replacing / modifying the shifter bushings to get rid of some of the slop?

Also, alot of people complain about their stock engine mounts being too soft and allowing too much movement (and since your shift cables are mounted to the trans up front, they move with the engine). It causes me to miss 2nd and 3rd occasionally when driving spiritedly. With a stiffer rear motor mount installed the problem is drastically reduced but at the expense of increased vibrations.

As for the turbo, if you're under warranty, I'd suggest a spirited drive to the dealership, but don't shut the car off when you get there, let it idle for 10-15 minutes till she smokes like mad, they'll know it's time for a new turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by GrimreaperSS View Post
    I saw that same dealer info (not the same as a bulletin by the way, just sayin) Its obviously been way past the 90 days since that post was made (7/09) and we heard the same thing. In 90 days.... blah blah blah. I havent heard anything since, accept what I mentioned before. New turbo, period, nothing about a pcv update. Thats all I know about it. We've done about 4-5 Speed6 turbos and one CX-7 turbo. All have never returned for same issue after turbo replacement.
    The gear issue, I was asking because possibly the weight transfer of the car may be causing the shift cables to move during a turn or something which if they moved far enough, could cause it to shift out of gear on its own. Again, its nothing I have ever seen, but nothing really surprises me anymore. I would check to see that the shift cables are secured into their mount on top of the trans, below the battery tray.
    Sorry for the delay. Thanks so much for your input. Sounds like I'll be taking this thing in for a new turbo.

Quote Originally Posted by deuceWI View Post
    Hi fellow Speed driver

I've got a Speed3 and browse some of the Mazda forums from time to time too. Have you looked into adjusting the shift cables or maybe look at replacing / modifying the shifter bushings to get rid of some of the slop?

Also, alot of people complain about their stock engine mounts being too soft and allowing too much movement (and since your shift cables are mounted to the trans up front, they move with the engine). It causes me to miss 2nd and 3rd occasionally when driving spiritedly. With a stiffer rear motor mount installed the problem is drastically reduced but at the expense of increased vibrations.

As for the turbo, if you're under warranty, I'd suggest a spirited drive to the dealership, but don't shut the car off when you get there, let it idle for 10-15 minutes till she smokes like mad, they'll know it's time for a new turbo.
    Sweet! A fellow speed driver.

I've been thinking about doing the motor mount and honestly this might be the next thing I do when I change the drivetrain fluids. Mine also misses 2nd and 3rd when driving it like a speed was designed to be driven (not hard, but not like a grandpa either). Thanks for the pointers.

I just sold my '07 Speed3. Shifter bushings, stiffer rear motor mount and some new tranny fluid are a must do immediately type of thing with the Speed3. I had 3rd gear issues until I completed all three things. Each one helped incrementally and together they formed a perfect trifecta. That engine produces lots of torque and twists that engine enough to throw the linkage off.