Motive Rear End gears

I just had a "rebuilt" rear put in my '88 Firebird. I was told it was rebuilt with a new posi unti and 3.73 Motive gears. My question is: Are Motive gears supposed to be noisy? While under acceleration it sounds fine but on decel it gets pretty loud. I have read on www.thirdgen.org that the Motive's are loud. Does anyone have any experience with these gears? thanks!
    1988 Trans Am, 305 TBI, 5spd, hooker catback, 3.73posi, LCAs, LCARBs, prokit, KYB GR2 + Gas-A-Just, PHB
    1999 GMC Sonoma, 4.3, 5spd ZQ8
    1994 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8N/A 187k

BCM Rseident Grill Master Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepsicola300 View Post
    I just had a "rebuilt" rear put in my '88 Firebird. I was told it was rebuilt with a new posi unti and 3.73 Motive gears. My question is: Are Motive gears supposed to be noisy? While under acceleration it sounds fine but on decel it gets pretty loud. I have read on www.thirdgen.org that the Motive's are loud. Does anyone have any experience with these gears? thanks!
    I have their 4:10's in mine. Do the same thing.

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepsicola300 View Post
    I know this is OT but wholy smokes where have you been? I remember talking Sdime stuff waaaay back in the day.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

Cool. Good to know they are supposed to be loud. I though something might be all messed up.

GTSLOW: I've busy, bought a house a few years ago and really haven't had time and money for things. I've been watching the boards every now and then though. Your right it has been a LONG time. I'm hoping to get out to some shows this year too.

Quote Originally Posted by GTSLOW View Post
    I know this is OT but wholy smokes where have you been? I remember talking Sdime stuff waaaay back in the day.
    I'll echo that....still have that hood and ever sell the GTA wheels?
    86' MCSS - 13.35 @103
    87' MCLS - 14.55 @96
    02' Regal GS - Who cares

No gears are really supposed to be LOUD... some slight noise that can easily be drown by the exhaust or radio would be acceptable but you may not be able to get it 100% polished out due to gear material etc... Motives are actually about the quietest of any aftermarket for a 10-bolt 7.5
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Quote Originally Posted by PB86MCSS View Post
    I'll echo that....still have that hood and ever sell the GTA wheels?
    hah.. I still have the hood but sold the rims last year to help pay for new windows.

BAD LS1: I can't drown it out with the radio. It does howl pretty good. I'm thinking about having it checked out. It seems to drive good no issues except for the "howl."

Anybody know of a good place/person to take a car to check out the gears?

There was a place close to the southside I was given a recommendation on when I was considering having some work done, I'd have to find the info.

* Just checked where I thought it might be, don't have the info anymore. Curious myself of where though, I'll ask my "source".
    Last edited by PB86MCSS; 05-18-2010 at 06:40 PM.
    86' MCSS - 13.35 @103
    87' MCLS - 14.55 @96
    02' Regal GS - Who cares