Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    More room for more gun!
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    2 times (1/2") = 1".........

so dual plate? WOW man! You know you can get dual stage single plates... so that means 4 stages!!! AWESOME!~

haha you guys crack me up.

mocked up! Still need the carb spacers, dizzy, headers etc but it looks like a motor! I'm jazzed

looking good but is that going to fit under a stock hood?
    EMT/Fire fighters- " this ain’t a job. It ain’t an occupation. It’s a calling. A need. A desire that you feel in your bones and your brains and your nut-sack."Tommy Gavin(Denis Leary)

yep it'll fit....well, it might be close once the carb spacers are on it but I still think it will fit.

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    soooooooo pretty!

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    It's not pretty...it's puurty.

Do you pretty much have everything you need to drop it in by spring?
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

I am jealous man that thing is gonna be sweet.

That is a nice looking motor. I will see your car one of these days. My wife is a good friend of your mother and grandmother.
    HOT MERC

That is bad ass looking.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    It's not pretty...it's puurty.

Do you pretty much have everything you need to drop it in by spring?
    Still need some parts Chris: distributor, headers, fuel pump, oil pan, wires and some hardware and then once the machine work is complete the bearings, gaskets, pistons etc can get ordered. I'm real close now though!

In the home stretch of accumulating parts for my motor project. After much back and forth on header selection, I decided to go with a 1-7/8" stepped Tri-Y set from Jerod Jardine, son of the famous Jardine Headers from the 1960s that were found on many a 409 motor at the dragstrip. The basic Jardine header design is based on a long 1-7/8" primary tube that steps up and Y's into a 2", which steps up and Y's into a 2.50" and ultimately ends into 3" collector. The design creates great low rpm torque and performance while giving up little to nothing on the top end all while fitting within the tricky X-frame.

On the dyno these headers make great power and after a lengthy conversation with Jerod Jardine, I was convinced his header was right for my motor and my goals for it. I will post a few photos of the headers once they arrive in a few weeks. They are hand built and welded in a jig so it's a pretty cool piece and exciting to own a header with a neat history with it.

On a side note, it's looking very promising that my engine could be together in a couple months.
    Last edited by jbiscuit; 01-11-2011 at 08:37 AM.

Cuttin' trees like Paul Bunyan wheelsofsteel's Avatar
    SWEET !!!
    Very cool JBiz. Glad to hear it is all coming together for ya. Sounds like you are super stoked...and rightfully so. Keep the updates coming.

Thanks Brad! The motor won't make the most horsepower or run the fastest ET but it should make this barge scoot! I need to post some photos once I have something more to show. The headers will be pretty neat, I'm pumped to have such cool speed parts on my car. The distributor, wires, head bolts and some other small stuff showed up today. The pile is growing!

This is turning out to be one bad ass build. I cant wait to see the results, as well as hear it in person
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

^ Thanks man. It should be a pretty unique motor if anything. Not many dual quad 409s running around and I will drive the hell out of it. I'm building it to run and run hard. I think the combination of headers I am having built, solid lifters, manly cam and exhaust a la Ron at Clocks Off and it should sound pretty snotty. But the better question is, will it haul mail? I think it will be pretty quick honestly. Afterall, the car doesn't weigh as much as some might think

Its gonna need stronger axles for sure and some tires...

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jbiscuit View Post
    But the better question is, will it haul mail? I think it will be pretty quick honestly.
    I would imagine that properly set-up, tuned, and good traction, hell-the-F-yeah it'll be quick.

Have you ever thought about getting your heads flow tested? Referring to Stan Weiss's cylinder headflow data, it looks like there is some decent potential in the heads...yours is a small valve?

I'd imagine that if your flow is in the 250-270 cfm range, and with that big mechanical cam, you'll probably see a touch over 500hp gross...probably enough to put you at least well into the 12's safely would be my guess.

What's funny is that I think myself a supreme "bench racer" in that I'm pretty familiar with what builds will achieve which goals/benchmarks/etc...but I'm flumoxed by the 409...it's just different enough, and exceedingly rare enough that I have no experience or have read enough to have any idea how your car will end up...it's pretty exciting. Looking forward to it being done
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Chris, I just can't afford to have them flow tested. I have a small fortune in this whole motor as it is so I think you can understand. I am however going to have the cam broken in and a few pulls done on the engine dyno to get some numbers though. Those should be a good indication if my selection of parts are working or not. My estimations in flow numbers are right on what your estimate is 250-275cfm intake. My heads are "small port" 333 castings stock but are being retrofitted with bigger 2.195 intake valves, three-angle valve job, pocket porting and gasket matching. This upsizing the intake valve size while still retaining a smallish port creates great velocity as others more experienced than me have found. There aren't many out there that are building a decent compression (over 10:1), stock stroke, mechanical cammed 409 using these heads so there are some eyes watching my build and ultimately power this thing makes. These motors a HUGE air pumps. They like long tube headers and long intake runners etc.

A lot of guys with deeper pockets than me just go with a stroker rotating assembly...IE 396-427-454 crank, rods etc for 434-480" but I wanted to retain the stock stroke in this engine. More fun to see what I can do since a lot of people ditch it in favor of more stroke and plus I already had a nice crank for it.

I agree the fuel and curve in the dizzy will make a huge difference in its power output and how it performs on the street. These motors can pick up 12-15hp with adding 1 degree of timing on the dyno. One of the best in the biz is setting it up when its time to make a pull so I think it will make power

Blog Entries
    Where are you getting a dyno pull done?
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500