What to expect with Bias-Ply?

Got a good price on a drag setup for my car... CCW wheels with Mickey Thompson 26x11.5 ET Streets, and 26x5.5 skinny fronts. Before I throw them on the car and get crazy... I would really like to know what I'm in for. It will probably be at least another month before I get my car and the new setup down to GLD (still have to get the 2-step going). So apart from pretzeling my driveshaft, more or less what I'm concerned about is the driving portion. So all you bias-ply veterans, what should I expect, what should I do, not do? I know the don't mix bias ply w/radials rule, but that's about it.

the car mite wana sashay around a bit pending what your combo is and air pressure and so forth... if it seems your steering the car check tire pressures..
    CKSC

Not my car, but you get the idea (will probably look almost identical when all is said and done). Stock suspension (independent).

Up or down on the tire pressure if it's getting squirrely?

depends on track to low will make her sway to much she wont hook as hard .... you will have to play with tire pressure
    CKSC

my best advice for someone who hasnt been down the track on slicks is make sure to keep your eyes focused to the finishline.that will keep you from fighting the car down the track.
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

Well, my experience has been that there's two kinds of loose... there's the self-correcting loose, and there's the "OH SHIT HERE COMES THE WALL!" loose. I guess here's to hoping it's the former, and not the latter.

2006 roadking custom. KF 9000 Champion 0TransAm0's Avatar
    so going down the track with slicks/skinnies is going to be differant then a pass with street tires? i know as far as stoping go's it takes alot more than it did before but as far as straight line my car handles the same on the street with the slicks as it did with street tires just hooks a lot better...
    not trying to thred jack just trying to learn something...
    ninja edit: i guess this doesn't apply to me as i have DR's but why can't you mix up bias ply with radial? and whats the differance?
    Last edited by 0TransAm0; 04-27-2010 at 09:51 PM.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ND4SPD
    What to expect with Bias-Ply?
    Mad-tyte cornering.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Well I got the tires on, and I am seeing what my brother meant when he said driving on bias-ply made his car feel "floaty". Definitely a weird sensation which will take some getting used to.