Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: draft

Not to be taken serious Karps TA's Avatar

draft

Not loving that choice. Funny, for the second year in a row Thompson picks the one guy I don't want. It's like he's reading my diary.

Bulaga got his ass kicked by the better guys in the Big 10. He struggles with speed guys, which the NFC North has a bunch of. Plus with Clifton and Tausch resigned, he'll be on the bench. Why can't Thompson ever draft an impact player in the first round?

I agree we need OL help, but this guy's talent they could have found much lower in the draft. There were some impact guys still available. Rather would have went OLB or CB at that point.

I loved the view of the Packer draft room after the pick. Looked like a funeral. Every other team was excited and laughing and having a good time after their pick. WTF was that all about?

Dallas got the steal of the first round in Dez Bryant. His "issues" are much to do about nothing. I think he's going to be a star WR.

Best part of the draft is Jimmy Clausen not going in the first round. The guy is not that good, doesn't have the arm strength, and isn't a winner. I respect Kiper, but he's so wrong on him. I'd rather have Tebow then him.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Couldn't even muster up the effort to watch the draft. Hate, HATE this prime-time shit. Fucking hate it.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    Couldn't even muster up the effort to watch the draft. Hate, HATE this prime-time shit. Fucking hate it.
    So you aren't a fan huh?

Quote Originally Posted by Karps TA View Post
    Not loving that choice. Funny, for the second year in a row Thompson picks the one guy I don't want. It's like he's reading my diary.

Bulaga got his ass kicked by the better guys in the Big 10. He struggles with speed guys, which the NFC North has a bunch of. Plus with Clifton and Tausch resigned, he'll be on the bench. Why can't Thompson ever draft an impact player in the first round?

I agree we need OL help, but this guy's talent they could have found much lower in the draft. There were some impact guys still available. Rather would have went OLB or CB at that point.

I loved the view of the Packer draft room after the pick. Looked like a funeral. Every other team was excited and laughing and having a good time after their pick. WTF was that all about?

Dallas got the steal of the first round in Dez Bryant. His "issues" are much to do about nothing. I think he's going to be a star WR.

Best part of the draft is Jimmy Clausen not going in the first round. The guy is not that good, doesn't have the arm strength, and isn't a winner. I respect Kiper, but he's so wrong on him. I'd rather have Tebow then him.
    Are you fvcking crazy????? Tebow over Clausen?? yea tebow has better leadership skills buy clausen is by FAR a better pro QB. Tebow may have reworked his delivery but when the shit hits the fan and say jared allen is running at him he's gonna revert back to what he's been doing for the last 4+ years. Not to mention clausen worked in a pro style offense his whole college carear, while tebow worked out of a spread style that won't work in the NFL.
    Chicago is what you would get if Milwaukee had sex with it's sister. Said by a co-worker of mine arguing w/ somebody on how Milwaukee is better then Chicago.

Watch the effort Clausen has to put into his throws. I've never seen a higher ranked QB who has to put his whole body into 10 yard outs like he does. And when he goes deep, he's really giving his all. I think those kind of mechanics will make him a pick machine in the NFL. He can get away with that playing Navy and Army. But not in the NFL. The fact that he had a NFL OC as a head coach and still couldn't fix that scares me. Plus sure he put up great numbers coming back from behind, but where was his in the first half of the games? ND didn't score shit in their first halfs and always had to come back.

Tebow has the intangibles of being a winner. I'd take Colt McCoy over Clausen as well. Another guy who just won in college.

That's just how I see it.

Put it this way I think Golden Taint made Clausen a better QB, the Clausen made Taint a better WR.
    Last edited by Karps TA; 04-23-2010 at 12:37 PM.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

Why can't Thompson ever draft an impact player in the first round?
    ^^ This ^^

We need a KR/PR type speedy lil shit.

I agree with that. we have the worst/slowest return guys. When they had Ahman Green returning kicks last year, you knew they had nothing. Nothing like a 5.3 40 guy returning kicks. Apparently Tauscher wasn't ready yet.

We need CB's in the worst way. Harris had dropped a step before blowing out his knee. He's not coming back faster. Woodson had a great year, but like Harris is old. Both almost would be better playing safety at this point in their careers.

They needed OL help, but the pick is kinda like the Raji pick last year. You already have a guy signed that is good at that position, so in the first round don't pick, and more importantly pay, for a guy to sit on the bench and learn when you have open positions of need AND there's players available to fill those need positons. The later rounds when you're not paying as much is when you can nuture someone with the physical tools to take over in the future.

But I guess it comes down to TT's comments where he thinks they don't have any real holes. It's just tough watching everyone else in the division making moves to get better, and his viewpoint is they just need the players they have to play better. At some point your talent is what it is.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

I also think the prime time coverage for the Draft is bunk. I like the days when I was younger and it starting Saturday morning, when real fans were the only ones paying attention. Oh well, times they change.

Bryant might be a stud, but taking a WR in the first round especially a guy like him would scare me, if I liked the Cowboys.
    86' MCSS - 13.35 @103
    87' MCLS - 14.55 @96
    02' Regal GS - Who cares

I do like the safety they signed in the 3rd round. Guy is huge. Looks hard hitting. And the fact that he goes for the hit, and misses tackles means he's Pro ready.

The rest of the draft overall seemed awfully iffy. Several players with history of health issues, which seems to be something Ted like alot. The RB they took is slow as shit from the 40 times they posted. Not sure why they'd want another slow ass RB.

But who knows. It's a crap shoot. Seems to me the Lion's did alot to help themselves this year. They are going in the right direction.

Would have liked to see GB trade for Leon Washington from the Jets.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PB86MCSS View Post
    I also think the prime time coverage for the Draft is bunk. I like the days when I was younger and it starting Saturday morning, when real fans were the only ones paying attention. Oh well, times they change.
    Amen. My buddies and I would trek the night before up to GB and crash at a friends place. Come morning time, we head over and wait until they let us in at Bw3's...they let us in early the first year, and then just started opening early thereafter. Some of the best times we had was the drunk parade through the mall in GB while walking to hooters, lol.

We'd eat and drink all day...usually lasting until 5 or so when we needed a change of atmosphere...and walk over to hooters and then later, tilted kilt when that place opened up.

We started with three guys, then 5 the next year...pretty soon, by the third year, we had some 12 guys.

Now that's done. Pisses me off.

Heck, last night was up in GB with my buddy, we hit the bars and while the draft was on, it was only in the background....they didn't even turn on the audio. No one at the bars cared one bit...just watching the brewers game (not a bad thing...but still).
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

im still waiting for JUSTIN HARRELL to come around...ewwww
    " EVERYBODY HAS A PLAN...UNTIL THEY GET HIT!!!!!!!"

At this point Harrell is the 2nd biggest draft bust the Packers ever had.

#1. Jamal Reynolds
    #2. Justin Harrell
    #3. Tony Mandarich.

Tony is #3 in my book, because he actually PLAYED. He may not have been as good as expected. But he played and started. Even went to the Colts and had a decent resurgence for a couple years. Plus the team sucked and was picking at that spot regardless.

Reynolds we traded up AND gave away a Pro Bowl QB in Hasselback to get. And the guy basically never saw the field. Always hurt or he just sucked so bad he was inactive. Spent 3 years riding the rehab table, and was out of football the following year. Couldn't even make the Browns squad, which is saying something. Meanwhile Seattle with our draft choice took Steve Hutchinson, a 7 time Pro Bowl selection at Guard.

That is the definition of a draft bust. Mandarich as bad as he was, was 15 times the player Reynolds was.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

Bulaga got his ass kicked by the better guys in the Big 10. He struggles with speed guys, which the NFC North has a bunch of.
    I'm not trying to start any pissing match here but I disagree.
    First of all you don't win the big ten offensive lineman of the year by getting your ass kicked.
    Secondly he gave up 3.5 sacks in his two years at left tackle, not what I call an "ass kicking"
    Thirdly, 2 of those sack, which he gave up to Brandon Graham after he got out of the hospital with a thyroid condition, I'll give him the break on that one.

If you really want to see him go up against 1st round talent while he's healthy just check out this. Derrick Morgan went 16th overall.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HAUs6ny8Hps

No I do not think Bryan is a huge stud, I actually think he'll end up having a very similar career to Tausher. Real good right tackle but only average if put at left.

Why can't Thompson ever draft an impact player in the first round?
    Clay Mathews???????? Aaron Rodgers??????

Then why wasn't Jason White an NFL stud. Matt Leinart? Jamarcus Russel? Was Brady a "winner" in college? Did Roethlisberger win any national championships? College success does not mean much in the NFL. Clausen does not have a very strong arm but it is certainly better than Tebow. I wish Tebow the best, he's going to put in the work to become the best he can be and I respect the hell out of him. I hate Clausen, I think he's a cocky, ugly looking d-bag but I think he's going to end up with the best NFL career of all the QB's in this draft. He's by far the most NFL ready, he's tough, he's got good size. Touch, timing, anticipation are all top notch, athletic enough to buy time with his feet, throws on the run, good mechanics with a quick delivery. I don't base my argument on how hard it looks like he has to throw the ball. I really don't see how that affects anything.

cruiser-70 challenger- 452 low deck
    beater-93 Dakota 4x4-360 magnum-14.88@90
    sled- 04 Pro-X2 600-Mostly stock for now

Rodgers was not an impact player. He didn't play his first couple years. Matter of fact that's the best thing that ever happened to him, is he sat. If he had to play like Alex Smith did, he'd have a similar career. They completely rebuilt him over the years. Clay Matthews was, and he was a great pick. I was excited when they traded up and got him, especially after pissing me off with Raji. I strongly believe your first round picks should fill a hole of immediate need and be able to come in and start. Projects are for the later rounds. But you're paying a guy more money then most of the starters, so he should be a starter. The really good teams seem to consistently do this. You don't see them sitting their top picks.

As for Clausen we'll see. I never said Tebow was a sure fire stud, I just think he's got more potential. I saw Tebow nearly single handedly win games in college. Whereas all I see from clausen and his supporters is excuses. The guy has been nothing but a disappointment. He doesn't win big games, doesn't have a great arm, telegraphs his throws, and never takes the blame. Honestly if I was GM of a team that needed a QB this year, I would have tried to trade for one. I don't think any of the 4 guys were all that exciting.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

Overall I think the draft went really well. Personally the only big thing I would have done differently is trade up for Krindle. I really like the Burnett pick, having another ball hawk in the secondary will be huge. Neal is a solid pick, he was a stud at Purdue and really fits the 3-4 DE very nicely. With Jolly's legal BS and Jenkins being in his contract year, I consider this a filled need.

Yeah it's awesome to have immediate impact players but Tausher and Clifton are getting old and need replacements and what we have right now just ain't cuttin it. I am 100% behind Thompson on the Buluga pick. His biggest downfall is he's not overly strong at the point of attack. That's something that can be addressed in the weight room. The guy just turned 21 in march so I think he's still got some filling out to do.

Krindle was the player I wanted.

IMO they just spent pretty good money on both their tackles. So that gives you time to develop a Tackle behind them, at a much cheaper price then a first rounder goes for.

Beluaga was a guy I had down as someone I did not like and someone I knew was going to fall back to us. He just had that feeling of a guy who was going to drop. The comparisons to Robery Gallery and reading about how slow and poor his footwork is disconcerting. Especially since speed rushers already give our line problems. I don't like moving guys around on the line. So I'm not a big fan of him moving to guard at first and then maybe to tackle. IMO you draft a player who has spent his life playing that position. All that moving around is what has been killing the Packer OL for the last couple years. I'll give a Guard/Center switching spots, but theres a big differnce in playing on the outside.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

I think game time at gaurd is better than no playing time while riding the bench waiting for Clifton to get hurt or retire.

Then put him there and keep him there.

Like I said it's all a crap shoot anyways. For every scout who says something good about the guy there's one that says something bad. I just didn't like alot of what I was reading, and how much he was dropping. Yet somehow I knew we were drafting him. We just haven't done a great job developing much talent on the OL since Thompson has been here. So if this guy needs a bunch of coaching up, it scares me as a first round pick.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

I read the biggest reasons why he dropped was because of how much talent there was at the position and he has short arms but from what I've read he's got excellent talent technique and has been coached extremely well. The guy would have top 5 potential for next years draft had he stayed.

Here's a overview of his positives from nfldraftcoundown-
    Prototypical height and bulk --- Good Athlete --- Nimble Feet --- Moves well laterally --- Quick with terrific balance and agility --- A polished technician with fantastic footwork --- Understands positioning, angles and leverage --- Uses hands well --- Smart with top awareness --- Can protect the edge --- Physical and Aggressive --- Gets a decent push in the run game --- Effective in space and at second level --- Tough and is a finisher who plays with a nasty demeanor --- Hard Worker --- Leader.

nfl.com-
    Bulaga has great size and speed for the tackle position. Displays initial quickness getting back into his pass protection set and off the ball in the running game. Plays with sound technique. Is a cerebral player. Bulaga’s really competitive, plays until the whistle and will really finish his blocks. Productive in college.

all say he's got good technique and good feet.

but heres the bad

nfldraftcountdown.com
    Shorter arms than you'd prefer --- Just average strength and overall power --- Not overly stout at the point of attack --- Isn't a road grading run blocker --- Just a so-so initial punch --- Health / Durability Concerns.

Nfl.com
    There are questions about his lower body strength to hold up at the point of attack and drive defenders backwards. Bulaga can be inconsistent with his footwork when asked to deal with speed rushers or move laterally. Is not a great knee bender.

like I said before, lack of good lower body strength and short arms

To be fair, love the signing of this Shields guy as a undrafted free agent that they talk about in the Journal today. A guy who flat out hauls. 4.30 40 on grass, loves playing special teams.

I think I like him more then most of the draft picks.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.