Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Auto-x questions

So i think i want to build a car for auto-x. Ive never done it before, or even been on a proffessional road track.

Ive been reading the rules, and just about everything on this website:
    http://gttrackdays.com/rules.html

It doesnt seem to say anything about any car guidlines aside from saftey restraints, roll bars etc.

Does this mean that pretty much any car can enter, no matter the modifications to it? (engine swapped, etc) I talked to someone at a car show once and they told me the rules are very tight on swaps.

Can anyone point me in the right direction as far as other rules go, how to get started, and other general knowledge one should know before attempting something like this?

Im more or less asking these questions for next years competition, as im pretty broke, and would need time to get my shit in order.

any links, or comments/suggestions would be appreciated!
    Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Yep, it shoots fireballs!!! stealthy1ss's Avatar

For AutoX I have found out that it is more fun to keep your car as stock as possible. The reason I say that is the more you mod your car the higher the class and competition gets. Just as an example, my car has a smaller pulley and an upgraded clutch so that put me in the Street Mod class and I can't compete because I run agains modded Evo's, STI's, and turbo Civics that have 275 wide slicks in all four corners. Now if you want to do road racing then I would mod the hell out of the car. Turtle would be a great person to talk to about AutoX and Road Racing.

Quote Originally Posted by stealthy1ss View Post
    For AutoX I have found out that it is more fun to keep your car as stock as possible. The reason I say that is the more you mod your car the higher the class and competition gets. Just as an example, my car has a smaller pulley and an upgraded clutch so that put me in the Street Mod class and I can't compete because I run agains modded Evo's, STI's, and turbo Civics that have 275 wide slicks in all four corners. Now if you want to do road racing then I would mod the hell out of the car. Turtle would be a great person to talk to about AutoX and Road Racing.

do you have a link to were i can find the class specifications? i dont want to use a stock car b/c i cannot afford anything decently quick, and if i wreck it, i dont want to be out $10k. Im thinking more on the lines of using a Neon my g/f has, and putting a turbofold on it, with some suspension mods, and tires. then getting her a better car.

EDIT: also, whats the diff between Auto-x and road racing? sorry i dont know much.
    Last edited by Turbo-Triumph; 04-18-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Here is a link to SCCA's website. http://www.scca.org/home.aspx They have all the rules and classes on their site so check it out. Also check out this site which is a Wisconsin AutoX club. http://www.waiautox.org/ These are two different groups that both use the parking lots at Miller Park to race. The difference between AutoX and road racing is autox is cheaper, the course is layed out with cones, and it is much shorter. Road racing is more expensive, done at a track like Road America, and you race for 20 minute sessions. As far as autox it would be a lot of fun to take your CSRT4 and the changes of you crashing are almost 0. But if you are thinking of modding a neon definately talk/pm Turtle because he is the king of autox'ing neons.

Well i think road racing is what im after.

That would be awesome

like for instance how do i do the races in the photoshoot thread.. thru the link i posted?

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    AutoX is where the sallys hide
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

turt mcgurt - zenki master TURTLE's Avatar
    no nan, auto-x is where you learn great car control... there are countless pro racers that started off on the short course...

and like tyler said, for autocross, an almost stock car is best... i can get into the details on here, but i'll try and find some links to post up for some good reading...
    -josh

'02 Neon ES(ACR/T) - R.I.P. 1-18-08
    '97 Neon Sport(track slut) - axles and brakes v2.0
    '98 Neon R/T sedan(DD) - "artie"
    "Speak softly, and carry a big stick" - Teddy Roosevelt

Autocross drivers can make good road racers, but road racers generally do not make good autocross racers. In road racing if one turn is bad, the driver says oh I'll make it up on the next lap. There is no room for error in national competition in auto-x. Not that you're going that far, but my old boss told me that.

I got into autocrossing just for fun, and run in a higher class just so my car's legal, knowing I'm not going to place. If cost is an issue I'd start out with Auto-x.

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    You may even want to try a single Auto X event or do a few sessions on one of these up coming lap days. You'd be surprised some people (very few) find out it's just not for them. But most end up majorly hooked.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

I think im going to check out the even posted in the other thread about the honda day.

I dont want to take my csrt out on the track, but i think i might risk it this once =)

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo-Triumph View Post
    I think im going to check out the even posted in the other thread about the honda day.

I dont want to take my csrt out on the track, but i think i might risk it this once =)
    I would highly recommend at least watching, if not participating, in an AutoX event first. Then come up in June to RA and go for a lot of ride alongs and do the touring thing at lunch time.

Buy a $1800 Mazda Miata like I did and never look back..

Disappointing women since 1970.
    Love you Mom

I would highly recommend at least watching, if not participating, in an AutoX event first. Then come up in June to RA and go for a lot of ride alongs and do the touring thing at lunch time.
    do you say this b/c of the driver skill aspect? or is there stuff i need to learn prior to going?

Quote Originally Posted by 2006wrxtr View Post
    if i ever bought a Mazda, i assure you, i'de never look back again...
    everyone would be infront of me lol

do you say this b/c of the driver skill aspect? or is there stuff i need to learn prior to going?
    A little of both. AutoX is a great way to get your feet wet.

I used to auto X my stock 240's and damn it is so much fun, even with stock cars.

A little of both. AutoX is a great way to get your feet wet.
    i'll keep this in mind. im going to be short on cash for the next month or so, b/c i need new tires before i go. how much does it usually cost to run an adverage auto-x event?

Quote Originally Posted by 2006wrxtr View Post

if i ever bought a Mazda, i assure you, i'de never look back again...
    everyone would be infront of me lol
    If i had the money, i would be eating my words right now.
    http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ctd/1701495307.html

If i had the money, i would be eating my words right now.
    http://milwaukee.craigslist.org/ctd/1701495307.html
    You would be suprised @ how good the Miatas are. Get it down under 2k #'s and around 150whp, They scream..

Disappointing women since 1970.
    Love you Mom

i think most auto-x's run around $40 for a day....usually like 6 runs.

Quote Originally Posted by srt4eh View Post
    i think most auto-x's run around $40 for a day....usually like 6 runs.
    And you also have to work a job on one of your non racing heats.