New brakes my ASS!!

When I bought my used truck the prev owner said it had new brakes all around and judging by all the work orders for stuff and how clean and obviously maintained it was, I didnt think otherwise. Well this fucker would barely stop whenever the wheels got wet so I decided to take a better look at the brakes to figure out wtf was wrong.

I think something was wrong with this caliper/rotor. The pad was ground down flat on just 1 pad

This side was missing a pad and the piston(what was left of it) was stuck grinding on the rotor. That fragment was what was left of the back plate/disc cover.

Besides the fact that the calipers bolts had to be cut away from the brackets, pistons were seized/blown out, bleeder screws were rounded/broke, and brake hoses were rusted and leaking somehow I dont think the brakes were ever done. and judging by how much this shit cost, I can see why anyways, finally done and next time I just might dissect the fucking thing in the driveway before I buy it!

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    Wholy smokes!! Thank god it was caught now before something worse could have happened.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

Ol' School
    fuckin lyin ass people I tell ya.

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Nobody touches the rear discs on the 99-04s GMT800s because they're so expensive. The only way to do it cheaply is to buy a full kit on fleabay. Did you get new parking brake shoes and hardware while you were at it? The little clip is farkin' expensive.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    wow...that's pretty crummy.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    Nobody touches the rear discs on the 99-04s GMT800s because they're so expensive. The only way to do it cheaply is to buy a full kit on fleabay. Did you get new parking brake shoes and hardware while you were at it? The little clip is farkin' expensive.
    the rear was crazy expensive and ebay wasnt cheap so I went with autozone, rockauto and auto-anything. And no I didnt do the parking brakes because the rear shoes looked barely used. The inner part of the disc wasnt even touched so I just cleaned it up and adjusted them.

Seems like if I ever buy a car from a non family member, I need to pay a few hundred for an inspection.
    Online Drag Racing -------Reaction Time Tester!
    Red 1982 Trans Am MSE Hooker 1 5/8, 3 inches back, 3:73s ---- Red 1990 Formula with ZZ4 motor, Hooker 2055s, American Thunder catback ---- Black 1991 GTA with 3 inch Flowmaster Catback system ---- Black 2002 WS6 Bone Stock

Suck Squish Bang Blow

This is why we don't have FWDs FoxStang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TransAm12sec View Post
    Seems like if I ever buy a car from a non family member, I need to pay a few hundred for an inspection.
    Even from me?

Just out of curiosity, how much to do rear brakes on a GMT800?
    1979 Mustang- Needs trans
    2004 Explorer- Daily

$209.87 with tax for ceramic pads and rotors

JEFF

1999 C5 TT street car - 901/881 on pump gas, 10.82@137mph
    2013 Denali Duramax

Quote Originally Posted by FoxStang View Post
    Even from me?
    Especially you! lhaha, just kidding.

It's possible that somethings wrong with the car that you don't know about.

But maybe I wouldn't, lol
    Last edited by TransAm12sec; 04-08-2010 at 08:06 PM.
    Online Drag Racing -------Reaction Time Tester!
    Red 1982 Trans Am MSE Hooker 1 5/8, 3 inches back, 3:73s ---- Red 1990 Formula with ZZ4 motor, Hooker 2055s, American Thunder catback ---- Black 1991 GTA with 3 inch Flowmaster Catback system ---- Black 2002 WS6 Bone Stock

Suck Squish Bang Blow

the rear brakes on 99+ GM trucks don't last long whatsoever
    -Kyle

2006 F350 6.0 CCLB DRW Lariat
    Gearhead, Holders Diesel, Retro Solutions, Pure Diesel Power, Screamin Eagle, Spyder Industries, Recon, Dirty Diesels
    KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    You are an IDIOT, I get GOOD rear rotors for $35/each and PREMIUM pads for $55 a set.
    GM World Class Certified Technician

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brotherbenn83 View Post
    You are an IDIOT, I get GOOD rear rotors for $35/each and PREMIUM pads for $55 a set.
    Those are probably the "specials" that are made in China and conveniently fall apart and/or develop rust grooves even before the 2 year warranty runs out. The decent lifetime warranty ones not made out of drillpress filings cost twice that.

The pads are comparatively cheap. The shoes are like $80. The hardware for the parking brake that always rots out is expensive also. And the caliper hardware isn't cheap either.

Compared to doing brakes on my 84K10 for under $100 for everything, it's expensive.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

yea seems very pricey! glad nothing happened yoo in this crap weather! something much worse could have came out of this!
    2001 Bonneville SSEI (AKA JUNK)
    2002 35th Aniv Camaro Z28
    1999 Cavalier Z24 5 spd
    1995 Camaro Z28 (rip)
    1993 Eclipse GSX (project)

How much are front rotors and pads for an 07 Yukon? Going to need them pretty soon.

2005 Roush Sport, 2009 F-150 PLATINUM SCREW
    You can get your Ford in any color you want, as long as it's black.

Quote Originally Posted by catnhat View Post
    How much are front rotors and pads for an 07 Yukon? Going to need them pretty soon.
    I can sell you ceramic OE pads and rotors for
    $217.51 with tax out the door.

1999 C5 TT street car - 901/881 on pump gas, 10.82@137mph
    2013 Denali Duramax