Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Considering a TBSS...owners check in

I've been really considering picking up a 06-07 Trailblazer SS (AWD) the last few days, and wanted to check in for a couple questions to some of the owners (Tom, Mike mainly).

How well do these things fair in the snow? I'd imagine pretty good with awd

What kind of gas mileage are you getting out of them? I do mainly mixed/freeway driving

I know they are rated at 6600 lbs tow capacity, but how do they feel towing a trailer ?(if you've towed) I'd be pulling an 18 ft. boat and trailer, which i'd imagine weighs in probably just under 3000lbs total.

Tom, do you tune these things? If so what kind of butt dyno/gas mileage results are you getting?

I really can't see too much of a downside with one of these as a DD besides the gas mileage (or lack of). I've been wanting a nice sports car lately but this appeals to me because it is basically an all in one package, gobs of power, can tow, AWD, can be used as a comfortable DD.

Any other problems/things to look out for when searching for one?
    -Tyler

2006 roadking custom. KF 9000 Champion 0TransAm0's Avatar
    my dad has a 2000? might be a 01 and not an "SS" but i have and he does all the time pulls a 26ft boat double axle trailer i think it weighs about 6k pounds.. pulls it just fine. and never has a problem taking it out of the water..

Quote Originally Posted by 0TransAm0 View Post
    my dad has a 2000? might be a 01 and not an "SS" but i have and he does all the time pulls a 26ft boat double axle trailer i think it weighs about 6k pounds.. pulls it just fine. and never has a problem taking it out of the water..
    The SS is a completely different animal than the regular TB's, mainly the suspension...especially the early TB's. I have no doubt about the power to pull, just wondering how it handles.
    -Tyler

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    I wanted one bad before I got my Tacoma. Drove several and tried to get a dealer to sell me one. Not many downsides to them that I could see. Plenty fun to drive, nice interiors and nice options. I really liked the trucks. Now try and find a used one that hasn't been pounded on. That could be the kicker. There was a Chevrolet dealer in the Chicago area that I went to that had a bunch of them back when I was looking but I can't remember the name for sure...Biggers chevy I think it is

good luck in your search. If you haven't yet Id say go drive one for sure. They are really cool trucks
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Quote Originally Posted by T-Bag View Post
    The SS is a completely different animal than the regular TB's, mainly the suspension...especially the early TB's. I have no doubt about the power to pull, just wondering how it handles.
    yeah i figured.. just thought id throw it out there anyway

Quote Originally Posted by jbiscuit View Post
    I wanted one bad before I got my Tacoma. Drove several and tried to get a dealer to sell me one. Not many downsides to them that I could see. Plenty fun to drive, nice interiors and nice options. I really liked the trucks. Now try and find a used one that hasn't been pounded on. That could be the kicker. There was a Chevrolet dealer in the Chicago area that I went to that had a bunch of them back when I was looking but I can't remember the name for sure...Biggers chevy I think it is

good luck in your search. If you haven't yet Id say go drive one for sure. They are really cool trucks
    Yeah I saw a bunch down in the Chicago area. Most range from 20-25 that I'm looking at (fully loaded minus navigation sometimes). I did find one at Hall Chevy that I looked at that comes with the GM certified warranty for 21,980. However it was a lease vehicle and one minor accident reported, couldn't drive it because I forgot my damn wallet at home. I don't think i would pick it up unless they dropped it down a little bit.
    -Tyler

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Ever consider a Silverado with a 6.0L or 6.2L and a 6speed? 2008 NHTs are getting down to the 25ish area now. The 2007s with the 6.0L/4L70e are getting really cheap. The 4speed eats gas. I get about 15.5 city out of my 6speed.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

I've been really considering picking up a 06-07 Trailblazer SS (AWD) the last few days, and wanted to check in for a couple questions to some of the owners (Tom, Mike mainly).

How well do these things fair in the snow? I'd imagine pretty good with awd

They go in a straight line ok, but they don't corner or stop, i put steelie spares on with LT tires so its manageable for winter and anyone can drive it

What kind of gas mileage are you getting out of them? I do mainly mixed/freeway driving

Dick for mpg... Avgs about 13-14 with the wife driving it to work and back. Best ive ever seen was almost 19 pure hiway and mainly was returning 17mpg that trip for the most part

I know they are rated at 6600 lbs tow capacity, but how do they feel towing a trailer ?(if you've towed) I'd be pulling an 18 ft. boat and trailer, which i'd imagine weighs in probably just under 3000lbs total.

Ive towed a 22' halmark enclosed race trailer with it and a f body in it that totaled 7k, no problem... just muscled it right along. Short wheel base made a little weird but manageable.

Tom, do you tune these things? If so what kind of butt dyno/gas mileage results are you getting?

Huge but dyno gains, probably half second e/t no mpg improvment. REAL STOCK ones run mid low 14's with awd, mine ran 13.9s@ 100 with intake and tune, ive since put in a 3200 stall. no e/t yet but prob mid low 13s

I really can't see too much of a downside with one of these as a DD besides the gas mileage (or lack of). I've been wanting a nice sports car lately but this appeals to me because it is basically an all in one package, gobs of power, can tow, AWD, can be used as a comfortable DD.

Any other problems/things to look out for when searching for one?
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Quote Originally Posted by 0TransAm0 View Post
    The actual Trailblazer did not come out until 2002. They had a version of the standard Blazer called a Trailblazer back then but it was mostly leather seats, fancy dash trim and emblems. It still had the same Vortech 4.3L not the 4.2 Isuzu engine the actual Trailblazer had, or the 6.0L LS2 that the "SS" has, which debuted in 2006.
    GM World Class Certified Technician

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    Ever consider a Silverado with a 6.0L or 6.2L and a 6speed? 2008 NHTs are getting down to the 25ish area now. The 2007s with the 6.0L/4L70e are getting really cheap. The 4speed eats gas. I get about 15.5 city out of my 6speed.
    The main reason for looking at the TBSS is the fact that its basically an all-in-one package. Not really looking to get into another 3/4 ton truck...otherwise I'd just keep my ram and enjoy my 22-25 highway mpg's

Plus I'm a bitch and need it to be fully loaded.
    -Tyler

AWD TBSS weighs about 4800lbs IIRC (maybe more?). My 1/2 ton truck weighs 5335 the way I have it now with like 1/8th of a tank and about 150lbs of extra crap (onboard air, tools, bedmat, airbags, rear sway bar). It's rated to tow 10,400lbs.

TBSS:
    LS2/4L70e 395hp@6000, 400ftlbs@4000 on 91 octane

Truck:
    L76/4L70e or 6L80e 367hp@5600, 375ftlbs@4300 on 87 octane (VVT and AFM)
    L9H/6L80e 403hp@5700, 417ftlbs@4300 on 91 octane (VVT and Flex)

Seems like most of the car L76 people are putting more power to the ground than the LS2 people after a tune. But the truck intake is completely different. The L76 isn't available after 09.

The best I've gotten with my truck is 21.5mpg and that was traveling at 63mph across the Upper Peninsula and one time driving up and back down I75 at 70mph with a bed load of crap I got 20mpg. At 78mph it gets like 16.5 (DIC says 17.5, but it's a liar). Our trips between Michigan and Wisconsin average 21.5-23 gallons (ranging from just under 1/8 tank to the beeping starts 20 miles from the destination) to go 355-ish miles. On those trips I have complete disregard for fuel economy EXCEPT on I69. Gas mileage sucks from about Waukegan to Benton Harbor due to frequent abuses of throttle. If you drive it so it actually goes into 4 banger mode around town it gets pretty good mileage but I almost never do. Feels kind of funny going 46mph at 1100rpm on 4 cylinders though. It WILL NOT go into 4 cylinder mode above 70mph unless I really try.

I don't like leather and I don't like LTZ/SLT dashes so I've got a 2LT.
    Last edited by wrath; 03-27-2010 at 09:26 AM. Reason: L9H does not have active fuel management, I suck at the copy and paste.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

1/2 BCM POOL Tag Champs 97z2801ss's Avatar
    Tyler, I seen that one you posted on face book, I have a 2002 TB I love it. not a fast SS one but with a kid and one on the way its perfect

"You can get a lot more done with a kind word and a gun,than with a kind word alone."-Al Capone

"Ever since we was kids,we always knew that people can be bought.It was only a question of who did the buyin' and for how much"-Charlie "Lucky" Luciano

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    AWD TBSS weighs about 4800lbs IIRC (maybe more?). My 1/2 ton truck weighs 5335 the way I have it now with like 1/8th of a tank and about 150lbs of extra crap (onboard air, tools, bedmat, airbags, rear sway bar). It's rated to tow 10,400lbs.

TBSS:
    LS2/4L70e 395hp@6000, 400ftlbs@4000 on 91 octane

Truck:
    L76/4L70e or 6L80e 367hp@5600, 375ftlbs@4300 on 87 octane (VVT and AFM)
    L9H/6L80e 403hp@5700, 417ftlbs@4300 on 91 octane (VVT, AFM, and Flex)

Seems like most of the car L76 people are putting more power to the ground than the LS2 people after a tune. But the truck intake is completely different. The L76 isn't available after 09.

The best I've gotten with my truck is 21.5mpg and that was traveling at 63mph across the Upper Peninsula and one time driving up and back down I75 at 70mph with a bed load of crap I got 20mpg. At 78mph it gets like 16.5 (DIC says 17.5, but it's a liar). Our trips between Michigan and Wisconsin average 21.5-23 gallons (ranging from just under 1/8 tank to the beeping starts 20 miles from the destination) to go 355-ish miles. On those trips I have complete disregard for fuel economy EXCEPT on I69. Gas mileage sucks from about Waukegan to Benton Harbor due to frequent abuses of throttle. If you drive it so it actually goes into 4 banger mode around town it gets pretty good mileage but I almost never do. Feels kind of funny going 46mph at 1100rpm on 4 cylinders though. It WILL NOT go into 4 cylinder mode above 70mph unless I really try.

I don't like leather and I don't like LTZ/SLT dashes so I've got a 2LT.
    Thanks for the info, haven't really looked into the newer chevy trucks...I can't really tell what is what on autotrader as they dont list engine size or anything...can't tell whats a 5.3 or a 6.0.
    -Tyler

Quote Originally Posted by brotherbenn83 View Post
    The actual Trailblazer did not come out until 2002. They had a version of the standard Blazer called a Trailblazer back then but it was mostly leather seats, fancy dash trim and emblems. It still had the same Vortech 4.3L not the 4.2 Isuzu engine the actual Trailblazer had, or the 6.0L LS2 that the "SS" has, which debuted in 2006.
    then his is a 02. its a Trailblazer for sure. i know what the standard blazer looks like. just wasn't sure on the year.

I looked at picking one up for my DD. I drove acouple and looked at alot, they wicked fun but I just didnt want to pay that much on another gas hog. I know Horter in Mukwonago has an AWD one and International in Waukesha
    -Eric

91 Mustang LX Coupe
    08 P71 Crown Vic

Thanks for the info, haven't really looked into the newer chevy trucks...I can't really tell what is what on autotrader as they dont list engine size or anything...can't tell whats a 5.3 or a 6.0.
    The L76 6.0L 8th digit is Y.
    The L9H 6.2L 8th digit is 2.

I don't remember the 5.3L anymore. I think there are 4 of them available over the years of the GMT900 so far.

Here is some more info:
    http://198.208.187.166/us/powertrain...10truck_us.htm

Quote Originally Posted by 1fast2litre View Post
    I looked at picking one up for my DD. I drove acouple and looked at alot, they wicked fun but I just didnt want to pay that much on another gas hog. I know Horter in Mukwonago has an AWD one and International in Waukesha
    Yeah they both want rape prices for them too, especially IA.
    -Tyler

Fast grocery getter...
    Tyler,
    There is a black 07' awd for sale on Capital right next to REI. I didn't get a chance to look at it, but I picked up my 06' from there loaded for about 22k with 22k on the odometer. I agree with Tom, mpg isn't great, fun to drive, winter tires needed with awd in the winter months. I have heard of great things when putting a higher stall in these things. Worst part about the trucks is the transmissions, they are shit, and the wind noise that is "normal" coming from the rear doors (quarter windows) and the rear hatch glass. Check out tbssowners.com and check out the oiling issues, transmissions, and wind noise. I love the truck personally, as I am sure the others on here will say it is a good all around truck, but if I did it again, I would choose a 07' and up. 06's were more prone to failures, must be because of the first year of the SS. Good luck.
    2006 AWD Black TBSS
    Tom tuned
    ...Now it's Loose and Loud!!!

Mine is going for sale shortly. I love it, but with how much I travel for work, it sits at least 27 out of 30 days. And I'm looking at some BIG trucks with how much im working on houses these days. Hit me up if you wanna check it out and get some insight on the trucks. Mine is mostly stock, lowered 2", tom tune, exhaust, intake.
    -Dave
    03 Audi RS6 -v8 twin turbo-
    02 Crewcab Dually -dropped and smoking on semi wheels -
    02 VW Jetta -1.8t will nevar lose-