Advice needed on truck

I have the opportunity to pick up a decently clean 94 dodge ram 2500 reg. cab long box with the v10. It needs a transmission, and the front end needs a bit of work from going into a ditch. Other than that runs good, new tires/brakes, 120k miles, etc. What's it worth? Are they decent trucks? I would want it to tow/plow basically, not a daily driver. He wants about $500, but I was thinking $300. Any advice is appreciated.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

if its an auto they like to eat transmissions when worked hard..... our old shop truck went through 5 rebuilds in 100k miles.... suck gas like no tomarrow.... $500 is more than reasonable
    -Patrick

I r teh have da kewl now cuz of that ^^^^^^

"It's not a racecar if it drives to the track and goes home on a flatbed apparently"

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    500 seems reasonable to me...

They are decent trucks...the v-10 is plenty strong, with very good low end power...i think it's done around 4000rpm if that. 450lbs of torque is none-to-shabby for a gas engine. Only two downsides is the v-10 doesn't sound all that great, and of course, good luck with gas mileage.

2WD or 4WD? If it's a 4x4, you're getting a steal...otherwise it's just a good buy.

When you do up the trans, make sure you only use ATF+4. Additives to bring universal fluid or Dexron up to atf+4 standards do not work for this trans and will accelerate it's failure.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

And put a big ass aux. cooler on it with an in-cab temp gauge too.

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    It's a deal if it's a 4wd.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

Thanks for all the advice! Yeah the truck is 4 wheel drive. Hopefully I will get it soon then.
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa Turbo
    12 Suzuki Hayabusa LE
    04 Pontiac GTO
    72 Pontiac GTO

Ah yes, anther vehicle to tow the Tahoe when it decides to break...

But yeah, $500 seems fair even needing work. I watched a handfull of trucks run through the auction yesterday. "Miles Over Twice" (200k plus mi) trucks of all makes were doing $3500+ and they weren't nice...
    Thanks,
    Joe Reichard
    2007 Saab 9-5 Aero
    2010 Saab 9-3 2.0T 6-Speed Manual... It's my wife's and she lets me drive it from time to time...
    2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertible
    1995 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible