Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

diff fluid for the T/A

since i need to change / check it anyway what fliud should i pick up i know i need some kind of limited slip stuff as well. i just don't know what weight and brand i should get???
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

Cheapest 80W90 you can find, takes 1-3/4 quarts to fill roughly. No friction modifier is needed, its a Torsen carrier with no clutches. Your whine will only get worse by the way, put a 18$ solid crush sleeve in it and a new seal if you want that 10 bolt to last at least a little while longer.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

BCM Rseident Grill Master Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    Cheapest 80W90 you can find, takes 1-3/4 quarts to fill roughly. No friction modifier is needed, its a Torsen carrier with no clutches. Your whine will only get worse by the way, put a 18$ solid crush sleeve in it and a new seal if you want that 10 bolt to last at least a little while longer.
    Mine whines but i think it's cause of the 4:10's

mine whined becuase of the pinion bearing going out. Might want to check Ben lol.

Quote Originally Posted by hbgben View Post
    Mine whines but i think it's cause of the 4:10's
    10 bolt with aftermarket gears, slight whine is gonna happen. GM Gears, better chance of silence, however $$$. This is why i put a solid crush sleeve in yours.

Pinion bearing failure is brought on by the crush sleeve "crushing" with healthy doses of torque through the tiny pinion and looses bearing preload then the pinon chucks and alters the gear mesh and creates a whine. The external indicator this happened is the pinion seal leaks in most cases.

You should have seen joes car, the pinion fell out of the rear end when the yoke came off and i could pull the big bearing off by turning the pinion upside down lol and the shim was ground to a pulp and shit out and was stuck to the magnet. Best 10 bolt to ever roam the roads right there!
    Last edited by BAD LS1; 03-26-2010 at 11:21 AM.

is the crush sleeve something i can do in my driveway? i know how to do a pinion seal... sorta but i do want this thing to last maybe til winter if i possibly can. so no friction stuff ok that makes it easier. any help is apreciated i gata do lower control arms on the gf's car today so figure might as well work on my turd too

i heard all about joes 10bolt god thats just insane when i get the funds for my moser i wana see just hom much more this 10 bolt can handle. gana need a trailer ready thats for shure

Quote Originally Posted by lilws6 View Post
    is the crush sleeve something i can do in my driveway? i know how to do a pinion seal... sorta but i do want this thing to last maybe til winter if i possibly can. so no friction stuff ok that makes it easier. any help is apreciated i gata do lower control arms on the gf's car today so figure might as well work on my turd too
    If you gutted rear ends before for rebuilds, then yes.

hmm... then thats a no would i be able figure it all out? i'm pretty good with a wrench and sorts any special tools i would need?

Quote Originally Posted by lilws6 View Post
    hmm... then thats a no would i be able figure it all out? i'm pretty good with a wrench and sorts any special tools i would need?
    Well there should be no need to change shims. So a inch/lb beam-style torque wrench for checking the rotation force after to make sure preload is right would be about it.

how many inch pounds? i have one just don't remember what the torque starts at. i'm gana need to find a how to do do this cuz i could get it apart i'm shure its getting it back together rigth where i'm shure i'de need help being the first time

And i'm shure tom you have better things to do than walk me thru it

<div class="imlinks"> <div class="popupmenu vehicleaction"> <a class="popupctrl" href="#"><strong>Vehicles</strong></a> <ul class="popupbody popuphover vehicleaction_body"> <li class="left"><a href="http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/garage_ve
    Yeah i had the best 10 bolt ever. It now lives in a s-10
    2002 Trans AM Ws6 M6 Black on Black. Procharged
    2011 GMC Sierra All Terrain
    2009 Infiniti G37x

Quote Originally Posted by Josepy View Post
    Yeah i had the best 10 bolt ever. It now lives in a s-10
    Mine has been through a shit ton of races over 4 years and a bunch of nitrous passes at the track with dr's.

joe and those damn reverse to third at skeeters
    -Patrick

I r teh have da kewl now cuz of that ^^^^^^

"It's not a racecar if it drives to the track and goes home on a flatbed apparently"

Quote Originally Posted by WickedSix View Post
    joe and those damn reverse to third at skeeters
    Oh there has been some higher gears grabbed on the reverse drops before

i just wana know how the clutch hold that^^^

You will need this kit. Typically 2 of the thicker shims and one thin (3 total with shims contacting the forward bearing) will get you right on the money.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/?...rat-4111&dds=1

10-15 (used bearings) 20-25 (new bearings) inch pounds

this sound about right? happened across it on ls1tech been searching doesnt' seem too hard accept the 300 ft lb thing
    Technically to do it right the differential should come out of the housing so you can set the drag on the pinion bearings. There is NOT a torque spec on that nut, you tighten it till you get I believe 15-25in.lbs of drag on the pinion with used bearings. Takes a HUGE amount of force to do this with a new crush sleeve like 250-300ft.lbs.

So i'll order that kit from summit. what else i need again the pinion seal and a crush sleeve should be able to get those at work?(carquest) and cheap 80w90 gear lube? that list sound about right? oh you happen to know the size of the nut on the inside?