727 transmission

a friend of mine has an 80's dodge pickup with a 318 and a 727 transmission. the trans went bad and he has access to another one, but the other one has a different tailshaft on it.

from what i was explained, its b/c of a 1 peice vs 2 peice driveshaft.

Anyways, he was wondering if he can simply swap out the tailshafts without fear, or is there something else he has to do/impossible etc?

any advise would be great b/c he's on quite a budget... you should see the truck

EZ swap, self explanatory as you disassemble the donor. I've got parts if needed.

While he is in there clean the trans cooler line return hole, it lubes the rear bearing and tends to coke up.
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Jerome View Post
    EZ swap, self explanatory as you disassemble the donor. I've got parts if needed.

While he is in there clean the trans cooler line return hole, it lubes the rear bearing and tends to coke up.

thank you very much sir

I was just thinking too, he may need a BIG pair of snap rings pliers, let me know if so I've got them handy. I just did the same thing when rebuilding a 2wd donor and swapping over to a 4x4 output, I seam to remember a rear bearing retainer needing pliers.
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

he should have all the tools needed. Hopefully everything goes well. we'll see. thanks!