Spring Grass Seeding / Minor Landscaping

Filled up the pool with dirt, now trying to figure out HOW and WHEN to plant seed. Also, I have a few low spots from digging out stumps last fall, what should I use to fill these before planting? Fill or top soil? Do I need to cover everything with top soil, or is this not necessary? I'm thinking I'll buy mostly fescue seed as a good chunk of my yard is in the shade once the tree's fill in, but any suggestions appreciated. Also, where is the best place to buy good topsoil from? I still have some sand in the area I need to plant, and I'm a bit worried that it wont hold enough water for the seed to germinate.

Last edited by pOrk; 03-14-2010 at 10:03 AM.
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    to early yet to seed. The ground is still mostly frozen. See how things go the next couple of weeks. You just don't want to throw a bunch of seed down and let the birds have a buffet
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    if it was me i would use the green fertilizer stuff with the seed in it,my back yard is in the shade most of the time and we had major yard work done 2 summers ago and there is not one bare spot in the yard.

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

You can fill the stump holes to about 3-4" from the top with fill, then top it off with topsoil. You could shovel that sand into the stump holes, wheelbarrow ftw.

You can lay down seed as early as you want, it won't germinate until it's ready regardless.
    Lay a thin layer of topsoil down, then seed/fert over it, then lay another thin layer of topsoil over that to keep the birds from getting it.

I'd recommend getting a bale of hay, and spreading a layer of hay across whatever you plant to help with water retention.
    _] Jeff
    _] '08 Audi A4 S-Line
    _] '98 Eclipse Spyder GS-T
    _] '93 Toyota Camry
    www.flickr.com/photojeffic

From: http://www.the-lawn-advisor.com/Gras...rmination.html

# Cheap seed usually has poor germination. The expense of seed is the least costly part of the lawn, so buy a top notch grass seed for the best long term results.

# The soil must be over 65 degrees.

# Water very frequently. Keep the soil moist as a guide.

# If you plant in late fall, the seed will stay dormant until spring. Remember that the grass seed germination temperature needs to be over 65 degrees.

# Annual seed germinates very quickly. (Unless you only want a temporary lawn, do not buy annual. Avoid mixtures with more than 20% annual seed--a cheap price should be a red flag).
    If you plant to early and the seed is wet for an extended period before you get a good germanation temp your seed will rot and you'll be doing it over.

Quote Originally Posted by SSDude View Post
    From: http://www.the-lawn-advisor.com/Gras...rmination.html

If you plant to early and the seed is wet for an extended period before you get a good germanation temp your seed will rot and you'll be doing it over.

True and not true...
    When it's not germinating all winter, how wet do you think it gets under that snow?

If it's sitting in a muddy puddle for weeks, yea it's gonna rot.
    You can overwater it.

There is nothing wrong with planting it now.

"Spring Grass Planting:
    An early spring seeding, during the month of April (or March if the snow has melted in your area) is another good option. If you plant early enough, you'll give your tender young grass enough time to establish it's roots before the heat of summer arrives. "
    Last edited by wikked; 03-14-2010 at 05:27 PM.
    _] Jeff
    _] '08 Audi A4 S-Line
    _] '93 Toyota Camry

Grass seed needs to have it at 55 degrees to germinate. Fill low spots with clean fill but don't compact it. loosen any dirt you want to seed then apply seed per package directions and rake in to the soil you aerated . A good hearty rye grass works very well in our climate and is very durable. Cover with straw/hay and water twice a day. Once the grass is established you can slowly remove the straw/hay. I usually just mow it during lawn cutting as it makes a good mulch.

Quote Originally Posted by wikked View Post
    You can fill the stump holes to about 3-4" from the top with fill, then top it off with topsoil. You could shovel that sand into the stump holes, wheelbarrow ftw.

You can lay down seed as early as you want, it won't germinate until it's ready regardless.
    Lay a thin layer of topsoil down, then seed/fert over it, then lay another thin layer of topsoil over that to keep the birds from getting it.

I'd recommend getting a bale of hay, and spreading a layer of hay across whatever you plant to help with water retention.
    Most of the stump holes are about 2 inches deep, as I did add some fill last fall. Best way to buy topsoil is likely by the truckload eh?

Thanks for all eh advice, I've been reading those landscape forums and seems opinions on seeding tend to be all over the place.
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

I have a spot that needs seed. For shits & giggles I'm going to seed it tomorrow just to prove it won't rot, and will grow in a couple months when the temps are high enough
    _] Jeff
    _] '08 Audi A4 S-Line
    _] '93 Toyota Camry

Quote Originally Posted by wikked View Post

Ditto! I do this exact regimen in March aka NOW/TODAY. The hay really helps with keeping it moist and keeping the birds away. My lawn always looks good too even with the dogs digging. I do till and rake the grass often though to keep the dead crap from blocking new seedlings.

Yep, it shoots fireballs!!! stealthy1ss's Avatar

I suggest to get about 5 to 10 yards of topsoil which you can get from a pit or landscaping company. As far as seed, fertilizer (if you want to put down a starter fertilizer), and some type of covering, which I recommend, I would get that all from Reinders in Elm Grove. Ask for either their shade mix or their 50 mix (50% kentucky blue, the rest rye and fescue), a bag of triple 10 fertilizer, and 2 or 3 bags of Seed Aide. Personally I would wait until mid April to plant for the best results because it will be warmer and it gives the critters less time to eat up the seed. Water it daily and keep it moist and don't mow it until it is fairly thick but only with a push mower so you dont make ruts.