Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackLightning View Post
    bob might not even touch it considering what appears to be holes from a half ass attempt to port it. I am not sure what the back of the KB looks like but wondering where those holes lead to.
    In the pictures i've seen, the back of it is flat except for two holes that access the rotor bearings or retaining bolts or something like that. Not sure I see the holes you're referring to. Are you talking about 2 oclock from the bypass hole, and another at 3 oclock on the other side of the partition?

If those are indeed holes, they would be poking into the right side rotor shaft access hole as I described above. If memory serves, these are sealed holes from the back face of the blower. Unsure if that'd make a difference or not. Doubt it. If those holes aren't sealed then I suppose it could cause a small oil leak behind the motor or perhaps a tiny vacuum leak in the right circumstance. Still seems like something that a dab of JB weld would fix without too much problem.

bob might not even touch it considering what appears to be holes from a half ass attempt to port it. I am not sure what the back of the KB looks like but wondering where those holes lead to.
    Edit: saw Dave's post. Didn't see them at first)

Quote Originally Posted by animal View Post
    One a side note... Change your plugs now! It will never be easier
    Yea the plugs and cops
    Last edited by OxmanWI; 02-21-2011 at 08:40 AM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free

In the pictures i've seen, the back of it is flat except for two holes that access the rotor bearings or retaining bolts or something like that. Not sure I see the holes you're referring to. Are you talking about 2 oclock from the bypass hole, and another at 3 oclock on the other side of the partition?

If those are indeed holes, they would be poking into the right side rotor shaft access hole as I described above. If memory serves, these are sealed holes from the back face of the blower. Unsure if that'd make a difference or not. Doubt it. If those holes aren't sealed then I suppose it could cause a small oil leak behind the motor or perhaps a tiny vacuum leak in the right circumstance. Still seems like something that a dab of JB weld would fix without too much problem.
    Are those holes supposed to be there? Or did someone drill them out?
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Quote Originally Posted by OxmanWI View Post
    Are those holes supposed to be there? Or did someone drill them out?
    If those are actually holes as I described... it looks almost like they ported too much material out and left a hole there. Hard to tell from the pic if those are holes or just crud.

If those are actually holes as I described... it looks almost like they ported too much material out and left a hole there. Hard to tell from the pic if those are holes or just crud.
    I'll go out to the garage and take some better pictures. I'll be right back.

edit: Looks like the hole does not go through. I'm really tempted to email the previous owner and ask him what the deal is with the home porting.

Last edited by OxmanWI; 02-21-2011 at 09:28 AM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

I just talked to Matt from Kenne Bell. Nice guy. He said I can send it in so they can inspect and repair it. Rebuilds start at $699 but can go up from there. There are light scuffs on the rotors but nothing that should be causing a problem. He said if the score marks were major he would be a bit more concerned about it. So I guess I'm ok.

Dave have you ever taken your 2.3 apart and changed out the bearing and seals?

Thanks again for your help guys, I appreciate all the info. Also don't let me hog the thread, if you guys have any projects going on post up too.
    Last edited by OxmanWI; 02-21-2011 at 10:51 AM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

I just talked to Matt from Kenne Bell. Nice guy. He said I can send it in so they can inspect and repair it. Rebuilds start at $699 but can go up from there. There are light scuffs on the rotors but nothing that should be causing a problem. He said if the score marks were major he would be a bit more concerned about it. So I guess I'm ok.

Dave have you ever taken your 2.3 apart and changed out the bearing and seals?

Thanks again for your help guys, I appreciate all the info. Also don't let me hog the thread, if you guys have any projects going on post up too.
    I have never taken any blower apart much less a twin screw. There's a how-to on nloc though... or maybe it was on lrodder. The guy pulled it all apart and did new bearings and seals. He had to order some parts but it didn't seem to be a big deal from what I saw. Hardest part is timing of the rotors upon reassembly but iirc that was just kindof a hit or miss adjustment til you got it right.

So does that mean you're gonna send it in? or just that he said if you were concerned you COULD send it in? I knew that'd be the baseline response but Matt at least seems like he'll level with you on things.

If you have the coin though, since you're on a built block and this one isn't toast... you could prolly sell that blower for 1600-1900 and pick up a used 2.6 or 2.8 for 3 something. It'd be a nice upgrade If you spent the 700 on a rebuild you'd almost be there.

I have never taken any blower apart much less a twin screw. There's a how-to on nloc though... or maybe it was on lrodder. The guy pulled it all apart and did new bearings and seals. He had to order some parts but it didn't seem to be a big deal from what I saw. Hardest part is timing of the rotors upon reassembly but iirc that was just kindof a hit or miss adjustment til you got it right.

So does that mean you're gonna send it in? or just that he said if you were concerned you COULD send it in? I knew that'd be the baseline response but Matt at least seems like he'll level with you on things.

If you have the coin though, since you're on a built block and this one isn't toast... you could prolly sell that blower for 1600-1900 and pick up a used 2.6 or 2.8 for 3 something. It'd be a nice upgrade If you spent the 700 on a rebuild you'd almost be there.
    I think I'll just take it apart and look at the bearings, seals and grease it up. Yea that thread is on NLOC seems to be a pretty strait forward tear down. Just need the special tool, yet you can prolly make your own. I'm not going send it in, I'll just check it out and throw it back on.

I just sent the whole case and C&L elbow to my buddy that polishes. Should have it back in a month or so depending how busy he is.

I'll just stay with the KB 2.3 for now, maybe something bigger down the road.

Next I'm taking the exhaust headers off to have them ceramic coated.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Last edited by OxmanWI; 12-04-2011 at 03:53 PM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Good call on the stainless Y fitting

Looks like you're "underway" to a nice install season

I'm just glad to have you and Garry for the tips and tricks! More info from you guys then the Lightning forums.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Last edited by OxmanWI; 12-04-2011 at 03:54 PM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Last edited by OxmanWI; 12-04-2011 at 03:54 PM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

BCM Cruiser
    Any thought of replacing the gray carpet with black like animal's while you're at it? It looks pretty good.
    1993 SVT Mustang Cobra
    2004 SVT F-150 Lightning

Yea I decided to clean it up the best I can and just dye it black. Also looking to do the expy center console swap as well.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Yea I decided to clean it up the best I can and just dye it black. Also looking to do the expy center console swap as well.
    It was really easy and cheap. I think I paid like 225 for the black carpeting from acc mats.

The black carpet looks great but I bet it shows everything. I know I'd rather not have to vacuum it out after every time I drive. I think if you were going replacement maybe a darker grey would still look great and not show every spec of dust.

The black carpet looks great but I bet it shows everything. I know I'd rather not have to vacuum it out after every time I drive.
    Actually you'd be surprised. Admittedly part of that is my own attention/ocd of what I drag in on my feet. I vacuum no more than 2-3 times a year though and the carpet always looks great. Every so often I pull the floor mats out and shake them off but thats really about it. Compared to the paint, the carpet is really low maintenance.

My Cobalt, Thunderbird and the girls car has black carpet. I like how it hides the foot traffic colors of tans and browns. A gray carpet would show all those colors compared to black.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

BTW do you guys have the number for that upholstery shop? Strait Line and Steve? Right?
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird