Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by OxmanWI View Post
    What should I clean it with? Engine degreaser and then soak with water?
    Usually guys take the whole thing apart and spray out the entire i/c core with carb cleaner or anything else that will get all that oil and gunk out of there. Spray til it comes out clean. Some guys end up needing a can or two. Be sure to put it all back together per proper tq specs. This would be available in the service manual. If you look around on nloc you can get the iso cd image file for the service manual cd.

I sprayed mine with brake cleaner. I think I went through 2 cans then hit it with simple green and a hose. Some guys have had good luck soaking it in that castrol purple cleaner.

Last edited by OxmanWI; 12-04-2011 at 03:51 PM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free

Last edited by OxmanWI; 12-04-2011 at 03:51 PM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Last edited by OxmanWI; 12-04-2011 at 03:52 PM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

let me know what you want for the catback , i might be intersted.

Picked up a JLP intercooler reservoir tank

very nice. I got the same one and it fit perfect. I know some people have had fitment problems though. Trick also makes one now in plastic.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonsaxton View Post
    let me know what you want for the catback , i might be intersted.
    I don't have it off yet, the tear down is on hold. I have a couple house project before I get back to the Lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackLightning View Post
    very nice. I got the same one and it fit perfect. I know some people have had fitment problems though. Trick also makes one now in plastic.
    Sweet, I like that it's plastic (trick). I know the JLP is going to fade after a while. Too bad it doesn't have a built in windshield washer tank, I'd rather take that.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Last edited by OxmanWI; 12-04-2011 at 03:52 PM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Those contact marks look like they could be older. You'd hear it if it was a real problem. Probably someone installed that blower once and improperly torqued it down, or they ran it with an incorrect amount of oil and overheated the case. Or maybe they fried the old black spider coupler and mis-timed the rotors at first on the rebuild. I don't think it'd be a huge problem as long as it turns smooth and free right now and you haven't been hearing any weird noise coming off it. Send those rotor contact pics to matt at kenne bell and see what his thoughts are... they're the experts anyway.

Also looks like someone ground down a little around the bypass... not a huge deal. Not sure WHY you'd ever do that. Who cares if air flows perfect when you're bypassing the s/c anyway?

If you can find one and afford it... this is the perfect opportunity to pick up a jlp sheetmetal intake plenum for that puppy. You could then ditch the restrictor plate that mates to the stock intake plenum. WAY MORE WHINE They're like 450ish used IF you can find them, 600 new if JLP still makes em.

Be sure to clean the hell out of that intercooler core, the blower rotors, and the valley if you're planning on ditching the PCV system anyway. It'll stay perfect then. If you're keeping the PCV, then just make sure its reasonably clean when you reassemble. It'd get dirty again anyway.
    Last edited by animal; 02-18-2011 at 07:13 AM.

What is a good price on a white 2004 with 27000 miles? It has the normal bolt ins. Might be time to get back in a lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by animal View Post
    Those contact marks look like they could be older. You'd hear it if it was a real problem. Probably someone installed that blower once and improperly torqued it down, or they ran it with an incorrect amount of oil and overheated the case. Or maybe they fried the old black spider coupler and mis-timed the rotors at first on the rebuild. I don't think it'd be a huge problem as long as it turns smooth and free right now and you haven't been hearing any weird noise coming off it. Send those rotor contact pics to matt at kenne bell and see what his thoughts are... they're the experts anyway.

Also looks like someone ground down a little around the bypass... not a huge deal. Not sure WHY you'd ever do that. Who cares if air flows perfect when you're bypassing the s/c anyway?

If you can find one and afford it... this is the perfect opportunity to pick up a jlp sheetmetal intake plenum for that puppy. You could then ditch the restrictor plate that mates to the stock intake plenum. WAY MORE WHINE They're like 450ish used IF you can find them, 600 new if JLP still makes em.

Be sure to clean the hell out of that intercooler core, the blower rotors, and the valley if you're planning on ditching the PCV system anyway. It'll stay perfect then. If you're keeping the PCV, then just make sure its reasonably clean when you reassemble. It'd get dirty again anyway.
    Since I bought it I never heard any bad noises coming from the blower. I'm sure the previous owner had to replace the black spider coupler after he had heard something going on. Maybe that's where the damage came from? But when I do turn it by hand I hear and feel a little tapping noise from the rotors touching.

I've had nothing but bad customer service from KB. Great kits, but horrible people to talk to on the phone. They'll just tell you to mail the SC in and have it rebuilt for the $700.

I'm going to get a JLP plenum either way, just waiting for my tax returns to come back. Do you have one? I forgot.

For sure the PCV and EGR are going to get deleted. That oily mess has to go!

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS LX View Post
    What is a good price on a white 2004 with 27000 miles? It has the normal bolt ins. Might be time to get back in a lightning.
    Id' say around 17-20 K? Those are low miles.
    Last edited by OxmanWI; 03-25-2011 at 08:33 AM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS LX View Post
    Its kinda all over the map. Anywhere between 17 and 22 it would seem.

Here's a perpared one with 51k and a lot of extras for $19k just waiting for a built bottom end and big power.

http://www.nloc.net/classifieds/show...ightning&cat=6

Since I bought it I never heard any bad noises coming from the blower. I'm sure the previous owner had to replace the black spider coupler after he had heard something going on. Maybe that's where the damage came from? But when I do turn it by hand I hear and feel a little tapping noise from the rotors touching.

I've had nothing but bad customer service from KB. Great kits, but horrible people to talk to on the phone. They'll just tell you to mail the SC in and have it rebuilt for the $700.

I'm not sure why he dremel ported around the bypass, I'm tempted to send him an email and ask why. The other thing that gets me…is all the little things I keep finding. Once I took the SC off I had a really good look at the firewall. Looks like he banged it back. I think he had a JLP plenum on there before he sold it to me. Which also might explain why there’s a stock 80mm MAF, a rusty C&L intake tube, miss-matched COPs and a bent up cat back exhaust. I think he jacked all the good performance parts off the car and reflashed it with a shitty mail order tune.

I'm going to get a JPL plenum either way, just waiting for my tax returns to come back. Do you have one? I forgot.

For sure the PCV and EGR are going to get deleted. That oily mess has to go!
    Nope no sheetmetal here, I'm stock

I never called KB. I had nothing but good replies from matt though over email inquiring about their kits. He was always very helpful and willing to answer questions however dumb they were. Not sure if he still works there or not tho.

He may've also banged it back just to get the blower on. A lot of guys don't know you have to pull the rear dowel out to get the blower on without mashing the firewall a bit.

That thing is pretty bad looking though, clean or paint it for sure before the reinstall.

Clicking while you rotate it is a little concerning to me. Does it still happen now while the snout is off?

Did he give you the heaton just in case so its not dead in the water if something happens?

Quote Originally Posted by animal View Post
    Nope no sheetmetal here, I'm stock

I never called KB. I had nothing but good replies from matt though over email inquiring about their kits. He was always very helpful and willing to answer questions however dumb they were. Not sure if he still works there or not tho.

He may've also banged it back just to get the blower on. A lot of guys don't know you have to pull the rear dowel out to get the blower on without mashing the firewall a bit.

That thing is pretty bad looking though, clean or paint it for sure before the reinstall.

Clicking while you rotate it is a little concerning to me. Does it still happen now while the snout is off?

Did he give you the heaton just in case so its not dead in the water if something happens?
    I'll send an email to Matt, never talked to him before.

I'm thinking about having it polished, but I don't know how much that is going to cost me. I have a friend to does polishing and powder coating.

I'll go out and check, and edit this.(edit: still does it with out the nose.)

Nope I just have the KB
    Last edited by OxmanWI; 02-21-2011 at 08:31 AM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    http://www.stiegemeier.com/

send the blower there.

good luck

Quote Originally Posted by jakedrew View Post
    http://www.stiegemeier.com/

send the blower there.

good luck
    Not sure they rebuild the Kenne Bells, I just sent them an email to make sure.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Not sure they rebuild the Kenne Bells, I just sent them an email to make sure.
    I've heard they can do them depending what it involves.

bob might not even touch it considering what appears to be holes from a half ass attempt to port it. I am not sure what the back of the KB looks like but wondering where those holes lead to.

One a side note... Change your plugs now! It will never be easier