Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Lightning Owners

My cousin is going to be purchasing a 99-04 Lightning in the next couple of months and I couldn't be happier for him as he is joining the Ford family for the first time. I told him I would help him find one, but first we need to do our homework, learn more about the truck and which year would be ideal.

I did a search on National Lightning Owners Club, but are there any other forums with good info?

Looks like the 99-01's are weaker on HP, driveline and gears. But they are less popular and cheaper I guess? So ideally we'd want to look for a 03-04, but it will cost a bit more since they are heavily sought after.

Someone said that the 5.4 stock motors on these blow out easily after a WOT downshift at highway speeds. I'm guessing the rods are to blame there? Do they have a forged motor or this is only a forged crankshaft?

Any good performance Lightning internet shops?

Any other info is appreciated.

Thank you,

Josh
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free

BCM Cruiser
    Other sites to look at are www.svtperformance.com, www.lightningrodder.com and www.f150online.com.

The inherent problems with the 99 & 00's were the leaking intercoolers. If looking at one of these make to call SVT to see if it was fixed under the replacement program from Ford. Otherwise it is pretty pricey to fix on your own. The 01 and 02's were known to spit spark plugs as they only had 4 threads in the head. Not a big problem if you tend to them regularly. I never had a problem on my 01.

The 01's and after had a little more power but nothing that a good tune wouldn't fix. The big thing is they came with 3.73 gears instead of the 3.55's and an aluminum drive shaft.

As far as blowing up after wot run, I think those guys generally didn't have a good tune and were playing too hard in cold weather. This is generally not a problem if you pay attention to your tune.

They come with a forged crank and pistons but you are right, the rods are a weak link.

I highly recommend Marv at C&M to dyno tune the Lightning. He has some very proven tunes and builds out there including my truck.
    1993 SVT Mustang Cobra
    2004 SVT F-150 Lightning

BCM Cruiser
    Here are a few internet sites to buy some toys for it.

www.teamjdm.com
    www.chickenears.com
    www.lightningforceperformance.com
    www.stiegemeier.com

I am sure animal can chime in here with more.
    1993 SVT Mustang Cobra
    2004 SVT F-150 Lightning

Cool, thank you very much, I'll check out those sites. +1 for Marv at C&M, he helped me with my Thunderbird with a performance tune a while back.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

blue oval is right on that. No difference in power from 01-04. 03-04 had a higher payload by way of an extra leaf and an in-dash 6 disk irrc. That's really the only difference besides the heads. If it was me, i'd get a 03 or 04 because they started recasting the heads on 12-11-02 with 8 threads for the spark plugs instead of 4. That said, while theres some that have blown out a plug on a 4 thread head, there's thousands that haven't. It's all in making sure they're torqued properly

Don't worry too much about windowing your block with stock pullies and tune, but anything past a +2psi over stock and I'd definately get a real tune and MAF upgrade ESPECIALLY on cold air long term high speed runs. It's somewhat agreed upon that most failures on those high speed long freeway runs are due to the stock maf maxing out. The L's all have the knock sensors disabled from the factory because they were picking up the eaton cavitation as knock. So you get no real protection if your tune isn't good, hence what was said earlier. I wouldn't shy away from a 99-00 if you can get it at a good price. Like was said, the main upgrades were the intercooler core, gears, and driveshaft. Also they came stock with a 80mm maf instead of a 90mm like the 01-04 did. Stock rods are considered the weak point because they're powder forged. All have forged cranks and rods. Stock pistons I don't think are a bad piece at all, it's just that everyone gets aftermarket pistons when they upgrade rods so no one really ever pushed the stock pistons very far. Stock rods, it's generally agreed upon that the gray area is 450-500rwhp. If your tune is good you can be fine up to that, but after that it's anyone's guess. I also go to C&M to tune because I've known marv a long time.

What I would do if i didn't have one already? go on nloc, svtp, and lightningrodder and try to find an awesome deal on one that already has a built motor that you can go and test drive (so you know there's no problems with it). There's lots of guys out there without jobs that don't want to sell but have to sell at reduced prices to get money.

Let me know if you have more questions. I'm a wealth of knowledge... or something.

Great info, thank you. That was the other thing, the problem with the spark plug thread in the heads.

The 4.6 heads work with the 5.4 lightnings, correct?
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

I don't know them enough to tell you yay or nay on that. You'll need to do extensive research on whether the heads are identical enough to use. I've heard they're "the same" but hearsay like that that only goes so far once you pull heads off and the bolt hole pattern doesn't match I know that valve covers can be different pattern (between the two valve cover styles) on a seemingly random basis from truck to truck.

Note, you can remove, i believe, the drivers side wheel well and see the casting date on the underside of the drivers head. Possible you could see without removing it. I never looked since i know i have the 4 threaders. It could've been 11-12-02 also rather than 12-11-02.
    Last edited by animal; 03-05-2010 at 03:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OxmanWI View Post
    Great info, thank you. That was the other thing, the problem with the spark plug thread in the heads.

The 4.6 heads work with the 5.4 lightnings, correct?
    romeo PI heads will work on the L. that is what I am running on mine. I would stay away from the 99-00 if you are planning on modding for the simple fact of the higher gears, smaller maf, and the potential that the IC recall wasn't done. They are all items that would end up getting replaced down the road. I would do as animal suggested and look for one on the boards already built.

Ol' School
    everyone says that if you dont tend to the spark plugs they can blow out or at least thats the reason given. Mine were factory plugs put in by ford and they blew out. In the days of recalls Ford left the owners hanging real bad there. TOOOO many models with the 4.6 faced that issue with the 4 thread heads. Then say its not a problem BUT corrected the issue 2004 models and forward. Its something to stay on top of thats for sure but know if it does happen Marv has fixed tons of these with great results

Rant over.......

^^^Damn that sucks, what ever happened with your Lightning? Did you fix it?

I'm not going to lie, but I think I'm hooked on the Lightnings now, me and the cuz are going to be looking at some together now, lol.

We really like these two in IL.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...5&aff=national
    Last edited by OxmanWI; 03-08-2010 at 12:51 PM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

I think I'm hooked on the Lightnings now
    Join the club

Still though, i'd be looking for something with a built block.

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    I am happy as hell with mine its a 01 with all the good stuff has over 100k on it and it still moves out.

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

Cooper you've got a Lightning too? I'd love to see pictures of everyones Lightning, post em up!
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

I saw this badass white lightning in orlando tonight like yours. But had slicks and skinnys wrapped black rims. And def wasn't screw drivin ne more!! Sounded like bosslx's ysi! I tried to take a pic but the camera flashed against the window of my car and after that it was gone!
    2002 dodge cummins - mechanically injected, stupid built.. never ending project
    2013 Toyota Tacoma - crewcab, v6, 6 spd, 4wd, TRD package

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Cooper View Post
    The only white truck that I know of that can take 2nd place at a car show with out being washed lol
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

Ol' School
    ^^^Damn that sucks, what ever happened with your Lightning? Did you fix it?
    that damage is on a stang bro. Just same heads as what you would have so picture just shows what would look like.

Was going to harbor freight in west allis saturday and got the shit scared out of me by a red lighting sounded like open cats at WOT going down 60th passing me. came out of nowhere and was loud as hell.

Hannah in back seat jumped "daddy, was dat???" LOL

i don't have any good pics of mine. these will have to do until I figure out the new camera

No pics of mine, sorry

Imagine this one ^^^ ... again. lol.

Great pictures guys, thank you.

What years came with the rims what Coop and BlackLightning have and the all red tails? I'd rather have those then the newer rims and clear euro tails.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird