Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I like the feel of my AR for home defence, just in case there are 20-30 angry mob
    Im sitting here with the 38 in my pocket, love a warm gun !
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    Pump shotgun with buckshot for home defense. Familiarize yourselves with operation of weapon and try it a few times. Handguns tend to require more practice to attain proficiency. A shotgun may seem cumbersome, but if needed, I think you may be better served in the end due to simple operation and terrific short-range firepower. If for home defense, put a bright ass light on it if you want. It may be useful if you wake up at 3:00am from a slumber. Good for target I.D., and what ever is in the light dies if it is not friendly.

Otherwise a good revolver is user friendly and reliable. Many can be very compact and handy also.

But again, try everything you may feel tempted to buy. Between all of us, an example of almost anything you can think of can be had to try before you buy. If you only buy one, make sure you like it, not because someone else said to like it.
    Last edited by MurphysLaw88GT; 02-22-2010 at 04:57 PM.

Ol' School Ron North's Jewels Champion
    In your case I would have to agree with maybe a revolver for you. Its small light weight and easy maintenace...... Not like a Semi Auto is hard to clean. How ever for the way they shoot you would have to ask someone else because I have never shot one.

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
    ^^^ Yea maybe that is where I am getting a little confused.

To be honest I don't really want (or in many cases need) to be the best shot out there. I just need to be "good enough", keep up those skills with practice once or twice a year, and have gun(s) that are simple and will do the job.

I know it sounds weird to many of you. But at this point I'm just not *that* into it especially as a hobby. It doesn't need to be a badass shotgun. I really don't care if the gun is fucking pink and shaped like a dildo as long as it is simple to operate and reliable, and does its job. (that sounded pretty bad didn't it )

Although I agree a shotgun and 00 Buckshot is likely very effective in home protection. I have no need to wield around a 20" barrel in a defensive situation, not to mention my wife just couldn't handle it. The same can truthfully be said of being a perfect shot. Any distance in my house would be extremely short (old 2100 sq. ft. house) and truthfully with a .357, .40 cal or the right 9mm ammo a "decent" shot would go a long way. Seems like most of you are saying my wife and I should get to be a great shot with a .22 then step up. Knowing my wife and I that might take a LONG time to just get past being a great shot with the .22 and never even purchase the gun we would actually use.

What am I missing?

That was almost exactly what I was thinking (A 4"(ish) barrel 357 revolver) seems like it makes the most sense. Simple, super reliable, always ready, good stopping power, and fairly easy to handle. That plus some training for my wife and I, and some practice once or twice a year.
    You'd be suprised I bet with the girlfriend thing. Like I said, mine had never touched nor wanted to even be around a gun. Go read the topic I started about a "fun" sunday. I show what the girlfriend did with the little .22LR pistol.

And I'd recommend the smaller caliper especially so the girlfriend can get used to the sound of how loud certain things can be. Mine was scared off by the sound of the 9mm. Recoil was fine, but the sound scared her. That's something that you have to work on with her. Cause you don't want her freaking out at the sound in a small house w/ echoing if she ever had to use it.

The Broke & The Furious BR3W CITY's Avatar

http://www.serbu.com/top/superShorty.php

im tempted by one of these. I mean, you COULD carry it.
    BREW CITY // Forever in ink.
    '66 Chevy Stepside / Big Cam LQ4 / Posi / Lowered / Built 4L80e

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    murray if you ever wanna shoot some different pistols let me know I have a few

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

another choice would be a rifle with a bayonet, even if you run out of ammo you can still do a bayonet charge

But in all seriousness a .357 revolver does sound like it would probably be your best bet, and with the .38 special wadcutters for practice, there is almost no recoil so it'll be easy to learn with.
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now

^ true my .357 is great for target prcatice with wad cutters,but the mags are where its at.

The man in the box Jukebox Hero Champion My House Is Bigger Than Your House Champion Smaugs Treasure Champion Lash's Avatar
    I love the feel of .357 mags. It's a different kind of recoil.

that .45 long colt,you would love it with the hot rod rounds

Quote Originally Posted by MurphysLaw88GT View Post
    Pump shotgun with buckshot for home defense. Familiarize yourselves with operation of weapon and try it a few times. Handguns tend to require more practice to attain proficiency. A shotgun may seem cumbersome, but if needed, I think you may be better served in the end due to simple operation and terrific short-range firepower. If for home defense, put a bright ass light on it if you want. It may be useful if you wake up at 3:00am from a slumber. Good for target I.D., and what ever is in the light dies if it is not friendly.

Otherwise a good revolver is user friendly and reliable. Many can be very compact and handy also.

But again, try everything you may feel tempted to buy. Between all of us, an example of almost anything you can think of can be had to try before you buy. If you only buy one, make sure you like it, not because someone else said to like it.
    And if you still missed afteer 5 rounds of buck shot, you can still use it as a bat....

Second Amendment = Reset button for the Constitution.
    17 Yr. GM Master Technician, (Ret.)
    Type 01-Federal Firearms License Holder
    Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Contact me with your firearm needs
    '02 FLHTCUI- 95"- 106HP