Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

GT500 finally loses some weight!

about time!! sounds like they finally put a car together than will be capable of more than straight line running. was hoping to see a new motor like was rumored but this will do.

http://www.themustangnews.com/content/?p=454

not digging the smaller stripes though.

2006 roadking custom. KF 9000 Champion 0TransAm0's Avatar
    Nice. i will take one all black with flat black stripes and black interior

not sure if i like the glass roof...

Quote Originally Posted by 0TransAm0 View Post
    Nice. i will take one all black with flat black stripes and black interior

not sure if i like the glass roof...
    the glass roof sucks. go without it.

I like it, but then a roll over you're getting glass to the brain.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Sweet. Let's all go to PTWA so a car engine costs to rebuild what a small jet does.

Dumbasses. All to save 8lbs? Next time I rebuild my Mustang I'm going to roll the block on over to the local PTWA shop and pay my $120 to have 'er done. :roflcopter:

Is it at least faster than a base Corvette yet?
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

I'll touch your apex PureSound15's Avatar
    Smaller stripes FTL. The car itself is kind of growing on me, though.

BCM Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    All to save 8lbs?
    The PTWA coating saves 8.5 lbs. by not using a conventional steel-sleeved aluminum block. Overall weight savings of this engine versus 2010 is 102 lbs. according to Ford. The coupe total weight is 120 lbs. lighter than the 2010, including the engine weight savings.
    1993 SVT Mustang Cobra
    2004 SVT F-150 Lightning

Boost went where again? Silver86's Avatar

really wish i could afford one
    - 86' rx7 - 06' mustang GT - 04' xterra SE -

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueOvalBolt View Post
    The PTWA coating saves 8.5 lbs. by not using a conventional steel-sleeved aluminum block. Overall weight savings of this engine versus 2010 is 102 lbs. according to Ford. The coupe total weight is 120 lbs. lighter than the 2010, including the engine weight savings.
    I think the point he was making was that the PTWA coating to save 8lbs vs traditional sleaves now makes the block FAR more difficult to service when rebuild time comes around.

If the process yield say 40-50lbs, one could make the case that it's then worth the new expense and complexity of servicing the block...but 8lbs? Not so much. Rather invest in a smaller/lighter battery in that case.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Not to be taken serious Karps TA's Avatar
    According to an article on Japolpnik

http://jalopnik.com/5467038/the-ford...he-nissan-gt+r

That PTWA is actually less expensive a procedure then putting in liners.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karps TA View Post
    That PTWA is actually less expensive a procedure then putting in liners.
    Then what do you do if you need to rebuild the engine? That's my concern with the process.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    Then what do you do if you need to rebuild the engine? That's my concern with the process.
    We all know it will never be a 'lilredexpress' and therefore garbage, you can continue to bash elsewhere.
    Pity the mate of Queen Mantis, so content, but so headless

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DRK View Post
    We all know it will never be a 'lilredexpress' and therefore garbage, you can continue to bash elsewhere.
    Who "bashed" it?

Dumbass Dramaqueen .
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

So they brag about shaving some pounds but unless I missed it, they fail to state the actual weight of the new car anywhere in that article
    Daily Driver: 2009 Camry
    Weekend Car: 2006 Corvette

This is why we don't have FWDs FoxStang's Avatar
    Wondering about durability? We did, too. Ford claims to have taken taken beat-to-hell durability-cycle engines with the equivalent of 250,000 miles of wear and, upon inspection, discovered that the initial hone patterns appeared brand-new — the piston rings hadn't polished them away.
    Even with this seems like they're playing with fire. Might handle better but the Mustang isn't really a car you buy for cornering, seems like they would have designed in an IRS if they wanted that. Besides the weight, what was wrong with the old iron 5.4? From what I understand its quite the stout block. Oh well I guess we'll wait and see, minus the smaller stripes I think the new one looks quite sharp.
    1979 Mustang- Needs trans
    2004 Explorer- Daily

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueOvalBolt View Post
    It's probably about cost. It's not cheap to have to argue with core shift plus you can run thinner cylinder walls/tighter bore centerlines.

PTWA was probably developed because they didn't want to pay for Nikasil or one of the many other plating processes.

I suspect they could have found the same weight loss in different front fenders or wheelhouses or any other number of things.

I used to race dirtbikes and ATVs when Nikasil was incredibly popular... it was cheaper most of the time to buy a new cylinder than to get it recoated.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

Stripeless in black please! Sharp car! All the minor weight reductions remind of the effort that was put into the C5 Z06.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

The dealer and I are going to talk about this combo

I'll keep my freedom, my guns, and my money. You can keep your change.

Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    Stripeless in black please! Sharp car! All the minor weight reductions remind of the effort that was put into the C5 Z06.
    x2. no stripes.

^^^^^ Man that MF'er looks good! Are the tasteless center stripes just decals? If so id be out ther with a heat gun and goo gone the day i got it lol
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.