Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

First gun purchase

This would be my first gun purchase, I'm looking to buy a Glock 9mm or some other kind of basic 9mm brand for protection, sport and military qualification. Would you go with a Glock or other? I know of Badger Gun, but does anyone recommend a good shop around here? Not looking to spend a lot of money on accessories, just the gun, magazine, case and trigger lock. Also what are the fees and paperwork that I have to go through?

Thank you in advance,

Josh
    Last edited by OxmanWI; 02-04-2010 at 11:03 AM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free

Ol' School
    Seriously bro, Hit em up. He's answered all my ?s before and had really good pricing

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/member.php?u=3027

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MoCkiN U View Post
    Seriously bro, Hit em up. He's answered all my ?s before and had really good pricing

http://brewcitymuscle.com/forum/member.php?u=3027
    Absolutely. Brian answered a ton of my questions.

As for the rest of your questions...

Fletcher's is just west of Hwy164 in Waukesha on Main street. It's over by where the old ABC R/C Hobby shop was. Kinda over by Wilde Honda/Dodge. The next street south of those places is Main St. if I remember right. Very easy to get to.

Fletcher's is a bit more like a small warehouse/dirty IMHO. The guys there were helpful and it was fun shooting there, just dirtier.

Shooter's Shop is on 84th just south of Lincoln on the west side of the street. Small shop, LOTS of guns, but very high priced.

You can order online through a place like Bud's Gun Shop and they have decent prices, but the hassle of finding an FFL to get it transfered to and then paying that person is a pain in the ass. So I'll pay whatever "online" is plus the FFL fee at a shop.

That's what made me go to Badger, is sometimes there prices are pretty much what online is. Like your Glock 9mm and my Springfield XD9 was the same there as it was online, so it saved me the FFL transfer fee that others would charge.

But definitely shop around. Fletcher's had some decent prices on stuff, but they dont have quite the "new" selection others may have.

As for paperwork. DOn't be intimidated by it. If you haven't gone to jail yet or gotten a DUI or anything, you are pretty safe. Go in, pick out the gun, put a deposit down, fill out the paperwork which takes like 10 mins tops. They send it in and you leave. Two days later call up and ask if it went through(and it has to be exactly 48 hours or more after you signed the sheet/they sent it in). They'll say yes, you go in pay the rest and pick up the gun.

Very simple. For the long guns, it's pretty much same day unless they are backed up or some other reason. Because I had just bought the pistol the couple weeks before, I think my GSG-5 paperwork went right through and they said I was an instant approval so I could just take it then and go shooting. I actually figured I'd go there, buy it, shoot the XD9, and wait for the answer while shooting for that hour.

As long as you aren't in some rush, process goes really smooth.

PS - my XD game with a holster, the gun, the lock, the small case, and two clips. each clip is like $40 otherwise at the retail stores
    Last edited by Crawlin; 02-04-2010 at 01:20 PM.

Anybody know if the xdm is worth the extra money over the xd9? All these recent threads are making me want to buy my first gun.

Quote Originally Posted by OxmanWI View Post
    This would be my first gun purchase, I'm looking to buy a Glock 9mm or some other kind of basic 9mm brand for protection, sport and military qualification. Would you go with a Glock or other? I know of Badger Gun, but does anyone recommend a good shop around here? Not looking to spend a lot of money on accessories, just the gun, magazine, case and trigger lock. Also what are the fees and paperwork that I have to go through?

Thank you in advance,

Josh
    Buy from a private citizen, that way the government never knows you have a gun. I can sell you one out of my collection, and point you in the right direction.

Definitely, STANMAN also answered my questions very thoroughly too.

As for the XDM question... when I asked, the answers they gave me led me to save the extra money. Larger clip, slightly better trigger were the only two things that were of interest, but not big enough to warrant me spending extra $ for something I don't use anyways. When I go shooting I really only load the clips with 10 anyways.

Thanks for the info and PMs.

Quote Originally Posted by STANMAN View Post
    Buy from a private citizen, that way the government never knows you have a gun. I can sell you one out of my collection, and point you in the right direction.
    Sweet, good deal.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Thanks for the info and PMs.

Sweet, good deal.
    Is there a reason I am a loser for trying to hook you up?

Is there a reason I am a loser for trying to hook you up?
    I thought you were being a dick, you can do that? You can buy from a private citizen? How would I go about doing the paperwork and background check? I assumed you could only buy from a licensed dealer.
    Last edited by OxmanWI; 02-05-2010 at 11:40 AM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

LMAO!!!

Yeah, buying for a private citizen, the seller just writes up a bill of sale and then both parties get a copy and you make sure you keep it at all times so you aren't the "end" in the chain link in case it's ever used for bad things.

I've used this one in the past:

http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/32...-free-use.html

and then just copy pasted onto a Microsoft Word

I thought you were being a dick, you can do that? You can buy from a private citizen? How would I go about doing the paperwork and background check? I assumed you could only buy from a licensed dealer.
    Not at all, you know me, have I ever been a dick?

And yeah, private citizens can sell guns/buy guns from one another, legally, as long as they are both able to purchase guns legally to begin with. Mind you a felon or someone under age can't purchase a firearm.

With a FTF (face to face) sale, there is no background check or paperwork unless it's informal between the buyer and seller (which is what I do whenever I sell a gun to someone). You don't have to buy a gun from a licensed dealer, you don't have to go through all the paperwork, if you buy from a private collection.

If you want to come and check out what I have, drop me a PM, everyone whom I have sold a gun to would recommend me I think. There's no pressure, and I have a better selection than most stores, lol.

Not at all, you know me, have I ever been a dick?

And yeah, private citizens can sell guns/buy guns from one another, legally, as long as they are both able to purchase guns legally to begin with. Mind you a felon or someone under age can't purchase a firearm.

With a FTF (face to face) sale, there is no background check or paperwork unless it's informal between the buyer and seller (which is what I do whenever I sell a gun to someone). You don't have to buy a gun from a licensed dealer, you don't have to go through all the paperwork, if you buy from a private collection.

If you want to come and check out what I have, drop me a PM, everyone whom I have sold a gun to would recommend me I think. There's no pressure, and I have a better selection than most stores, lol.
    Well there was that one time...jk

You can never tell when someone is being serous or sarcastic, I apologize. Do you have any Glocks or 9mm in your collection?
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Well there was that one time...jk

You can never tell when someone is being serous or sarcastic, I apologize. Do you have any Glocks or 9mm in your collection?
    Lots of both. PM me if you want to come over for a viewing/handleing, I am home every weekend, all weekend

Well, I went to Shooters and Badger Gun today. First I went to Shooters, I really didn't feel comfortable at all, the guy that was kinda helping me was ether having a bad day or he really didn't want to help me in the first place. I don't think I'll be going back there. Then I went to Badger Gun, night and Day. Very helpful, explained everything and made me want to come back. He showed me the new Glock 17 Gen 4, which I really liked. Comes with the case, 3 mags, lock and a free range pass. He even said he'd show me the ins and outs of taking it apart, cleaning and proper use-handling. Not that I don't know, Havn't shot a handgun since basic training (6 years).

Lots of both. PM me if you want to come over for a viewing/handleing, I am home every weekend, all weekend

Do you happen to have any Glocks? I held one today compared to a Springfield and Taurus and really like the feel-look. I guess there's a lot of accessories I can buy down the road as well.
    Last edited by OxmanWI; 02-05-2010 at 04:07 PM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Do you remember who you talked to? Older guy or younger guy? If younger guy, shaved head or darker hair?

I need to take the trip with you to see Stanman. I know I'll come home with something cool, haha.

Bob, depending on what I have going on this weekend I may set up a time to see what you have.
    2011 Chevy Malibu

Quote Originally Posted by Crawlin View Post
    Do you remember who you talked to? Older guy or younger guy? If younger guy, shaved head or darker hair?

I need to take the trip with you to see Stanman. I know I'll come home with something cool, haha.
    Older guy, really nice place they have

Maybe next weekend I have nothing going on.
    Last edited by OxmanWI; 02-05-2010 at 05:19 PM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Might have been the "old" owner. Kids bought it to get out from under the "investigation" stuff.

Maybe Badger has changed, the last few times I went there a few years ago I just got ignored while they shoot the shit with there friends. Last time I was in shooters I nearly passed out at the prices. Higher than most everywhere else I went.
    Was that Gen 4 Glock a Blue label guns?

I miss Sportsmans Warehouse, they had the best prices. Cabelas has better Glock prices than Gander. I got my refurb G22 with night sights for $459.
    It's like new. http://www.brewcitymuscle.com/forum/...t=43623&page=2

Brand new Glocks at Cabelas were 549 and gander was $599
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now