Thread: GM LH6 Engine

GM LH6 Engine

Is the 5.3L (LH6) any good?

We're looking at an SUV that has one, and I'm just curious if it has any issues or what not...

Elaborate...
    Thanks,
    Joe Reichard
    2007 Saab 9-5 Aero
    2010 Saab 9-3 2.0T 6-Speed Manual... It's my wife's and she lets me drive it from time to time...
    2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertible
    1995 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Gen IV 5.3L in aluminum format with AFM, usually found in the GMT360 platform (Trailblazer, Envoy, Rainier, 9-7x, et cetera).

Nothing to get too terribly excited about, other than it's better than a Trailvoy with an I6.

What are you looking at?
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

A GM SUV with one in it...

Just curious about issues/qwerks...

Nothing too serious...
    Thanks,
    Joe Reichard
    2007 Saab 9-5 Aero
    2010 Saab 9-3 2.0T 6-Speed Manual... It's my wife's and she lets me drive it from time to time...
    2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen Convertible
    1995 Saab 900 Turbo Convertible

5.0... It's what's for dinner. GTO RLY?'s Avatar
    Should be pretty similar to the LS platform in terms of reliability and build quality. Maybe a little valvetrain tick, but it shouldn't be too excessive. Unless it's been abused heavily, you won't be disappointed.

05M6 CGM GTO - Svede OTRCAI, Bassani, minus 144lbs, self SD tuned with HPT2.23beta & LC-1

I do not know a whole lot about this problem but I can tell you I have 2 low mile 62k and 53k 6.0 litre Chevy V8's here and they are using a quart of coolant every 1000 miles.
    I'm sure the 5.3 and 6.0 are real close cousins in their engine family.
    I thought they were good motors, I see them making good power and lasting long I just dont understand why this has happened even with good coolant changes.

Blame a vendor I guess.
    Subject:Information on Gradual Coolant Loss Over Time with No Evidence of Leak Found #06-06-01-019B - (06/12/2007)
    Models:2004-2006 Buick Rainier2001-2006 Cadillac Escalade Models2001-2006 Chevrolet Avalanche, Blazer, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, TrailBlazer Models2001-2006 GMC Envoy, Jimmy, Sierra, Yukon Models2001-2004 Oldsmobile Bravada2005-2006 Saab 9-7Xwith 4.8L or 5.3L VORTECŪ GEN III, GEN IV V8 Engine (VINs V, T, M, B, Z -- RPOs LR4, LM7, LH6, L33, L59
    This bulletin is being revised to include engine RPO L59. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 06-06-01-019A (Section 06 - Engine/Propulsion System).

Some vehicles may experience a gradual coolant loss over time. A very low percentage of cylinder head(s) manufactured with an embossed Castech logo may develop a porosity crack in a very specific area.

Inspect the cylinder head assembly to determine if the casting was manufactured by Castech. This can be accomplished by inspecting for their casting logo located on top of the intake port, under the rocker arm support rail and in the spring deck cavity portion of the cylinder head.

fuckin saab's.

cheap fix, throw some LSx heads on there...can be had cheap anywhere, like from my toolbox
    GM World Class Certified Technician

well the 5.3l in my 03 Yukon is running damm well with no coolant loss with over 175k miles on it. I do plan on getting the dexcool out of it this spring though.

God damn it... Son of a bitch. Brian98GTP's Avatar
    My Envoy runs the LH6. No problems at all with it. Good solid engine so far!
    Hale To The Zoo!!

TWO-TON ENGINE HOIST: A tool for testing the maximum tensile strength of everything you forgot to disconnect.

Quote Originally Posted by juicedimpss
    no,i think dani makes a better looking chick than the one we are talking about

07 GP GXP
    01 Camaro SS

My Garage