Thread: Noise Update

Noise Update

Paris puts off talk of noise study, ordinance
    BY DENEEN SMITH
    dsmith@kenoshanews.com

PARIS — Residents of Paris have been butting heads over a plan to create a noise ordinance, but the Paris Town Board is not ready to take up the debate.

The board said Tuesday it plans to indefinitely table a discussion of a noise and light study commissioned by the town, and to hold off on making a decision on the ordinance.

Supervisor Ron Kammerzelt said the board plans to make a decision on the issue over the next few months.

“We are still gathering information, and I don’t want anyone’s emotions on both sides jumping to conclusions that haven’t happened yet,” Kammerzelt said. “We have all winter to decide what we are going to do and how we are going to do it.”

In recent weeks, supporters of the Great Lakes Dragaway have been circulating a petition against a noise ordinance.

At the same time, some residents who have long complained about noise generated by the track appeared told the board Tuesday that petition carriers were intimidating people.

Others said the sound study did not accurately portray the sounds generated by the drag racers.

Kammerzelt said after the meeting he hopes a noise ordinance can establish measurable guidelines for the track and others in the community. He said the board will schedule a meeting to discuss the results of the sound study and alternatives for an ordinance.

He said the town is not looking to shut down Great Lakes.

“The best interest of this community, as far as this board member is concerned, is not to close businesses. I don’t think anyone is silly enough to do that,” he said.
    2008 Shelby GT500
    Classic Grabber Orange
    1 of 60 Built
    Cobra Jet Blower Upgrade
    Cobra Jet Throttle Body
    CCW Custom Wheels
    11.31@126 MPH on Toyo Proxes

Makin' Boys Cry Since 1987 =) 1BadBytch's Avatar
    Yeah when I was there last night a few residents of Paris were pretty much bashing the track.

Apparently we run Jet Cars 6 days a week to all hours of the morning...

Where was I when this happened? I have never seen a jet car go down the track during a week day.

One also stated that they felt the study wasn't performed during any big days when the track actually produces "noise"

However... from what I understand the study was performed over our biggest days of the year ... Labor Day & Memorial Weekend.

hmmmm....

That is good cooler heads prevailed over a few snivelers.
    LoL @ the intimidating petition carriers.

Senior Member..now yer posting! deuceWI's Avatar
    Why don't they do the noise study right now?

Oh yeah, that's right, it's only loud maybe a handful of days out of the year, so :P

What the hell is a raceway if it has noise ordinances? Ghey. WTF!? That place has been there since before most of us were born! Are these new residence complaining? Wow...
    2009 Harley Nightster.
    One day we will have muscle cars again....
    -Jimmy E.

Quote Originally Posted by MidknyteRacer View Post
    That place has been there since before most of us were born! Are these new residence complaining? Wow...
    Its probably older than some of our parents as well, so its been there a long time. My dad has stories from GLD in the 60's and 70's they would race till 4am on some weekend and week days! That stopped because the farmers said their cows weren't milking right and their chickens weren't laying eggs.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns, and my money. You can keep your change.

I was looking at some old drag racing photos from another track, one in Dayton, OH. I see that they are surrounded by trees, tall pines and oaks. I know this is going to sound silly, but has GLD thought about planting tall pines and other trees around the track to absorb sound? You can buy saplings pretty cheap now a days. Maybe that's something to think about, something that would ease the situation for the annoying residents and future town hall meetings?
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free

BCM Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by OxmanWI View Post
    I was looking at some old drag racing photos from another track, one in Dayton, OH. I see that they are surrounded by trees, tall pines and oaks. I know this is going to sound silly, but has GLD thought about planting tall pines and other trees around the track to absorb sound? You can buy saplings pretty cheap now a days. Maybe that's something to think about, something that would ease the situation for the annoying residents and future town hall meetings?
    It could help with their "carbon footprint".

Quote Originally Posted by OxmanWI View Post
    Saplings? Lol, will take 15 years for them to have any affect on noise.
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Hahaha, I know that sounds silly, but who wants to plant bigger trees for $100's more each? Start small and let the neighbors know that you're willing to make an effort to keep the piece (and track) so everyone can benefit down the road. It's just a simple suggestion, it's not going to hurt anyone and makes the track look good.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

APD = All Prius Drags! Go Obama and the Liberal fucks. Lets shut down the Milwaukee Mile, GLD, and Road America! Take away all events so we can watch teen pregnancy and under age drinking go through the roof!

America needs another Iowa! Fuck WI.

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1320PNY View Post
    APD = All Prius Drags! Go Obama and the Liberal fucks. Lets shut down the Milwaukee Mile, GLD, and Road America! Take away all events so we can watch teen pregnancy and under age drinking go through the roof!

America needs another Iowa! Fuck WI.
    well put!

I sent a email to Mike Angeli and from the looks of it, he already had that idea in the works! Smart minds think alike!

mike@greatlakesdragaway.com

Thanks Josh... this is a great idea, and it is actually in the works already. Our guy who cuts the grass and takes care of the track grounds is going to be planting willows and oaks along the edge of the track, to not only help block sound but to make the dragstrip look better. The trees may only grow a few feet per year... but 5-10 years from now they will be lush and tall! Take care.
    Last edited by OxmanWI; 02-22-2010 at 01:14 PM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird