Makin' Boys Cry Since 1987 =) 1BadBytch's Avatar

Support Great Lakes Dragaway!

I received this email earlier today and thought I should pass it on.
    There's another town meeting tomorrow night January 26th at 7pm at Paris Town Hall.
    _________

Greetings drag racing enthusiasts!

It has been awhile since the last update about the sound study, and the possible noise ordinance that the town board of Paris may create, that could hamper the legendary Great Lakes Dragaway along with all of our racers and fans... but I come bearing relatively good news!

First off, many of you in the drag racing community, and even people who don't necessarily have an interest in the track... but still support GLD being an American pastime have sent in letters of support to the Paris town board, including residents of Paris, and a Wisconsin state senator!

This is the best way you could help at the current time... as long as you do so professionally and politely. I am not going to coach you about what to say... just keep in mind that calmly stating your views about GLD will get you taken much more seriously than being angry or rude, and alienating people who already have reasons not to like us. If you would like to send in a letter, the Paris town board members' addresses may be found here. Please also CC it to me at mike@greatlakesdragaway.com.

Second, as of January 22nd, the Paris meeting agenda has stated that due to no new information since the December meeting, the sound study will NOT have action taken, but may be discussed, at their town meeting which is tomorrow, January 26th at 7pm. Sorry for the short notice (we didn't know either until during the weekend.) This means while the issue may be brought up for a short while in the meeting, no action will be taken. In short, people who are not residents of Paris will most likely not be allowed to speak at this meeting... so if you wish to show up just for your own interest, you may do so, but remember that you will be a silent observer. If you have trouble sitting still and remaining silent, you should probably skip this one. GLD owner Randy Henning (who is also a Paris resident, and thus, has a voice in the matter) and other members of GLD management will be present to represent GLD.

For address and info of the meeting, see their meeting agenda.

We will bring back as many details as possible, and share them with you!

Lastly, I do need to address the small handful of folks that have taken it upon themselves to swear at or about the town board, and act very offensive... some even going as far as directly threatening to street race in front of town hall! This is VERY negative and does nothing but create a bad image for all of us... giving our opponents in this debate more ammo to use, and creating a public image of "evil street racers" rather than a competitive, but still society friendly, sport. Everyone is entitled to their own views, but keep in mind the effect your words may have before you say them... the cliché saying "it isn't what you say, but how you say it" really applies to matters like this. Keep your negative or threatening comments to yourself, neither GLD nor the town board want to hear them. I am not saying not to speak, I am saying to speak constructively.

Remember, the goal is to keep the track open and unrestricted by ordinances, not cause any personal problems due to competing interests.

We will keep you informed as things pan out. Until then, stay warm and safe. As I am typing this letter, the April 2010 schedule has been announced! View it on the GLD website. The rest of the 2010 schedule will be announced within a few weeks, stay tuned to your email box and the GLD website... and remind your friends to join our mailing list! Simply forward them this letter, and they will have the option to join with a simple click of the mouse.

Hope you all come to show support for the track! See you there!
    Last edited by 1BadBytch; 01-25-2010 at 10:05 PM. Reason: date correction

Also for those of you that may not know ...

A "Support Great Lakes Dragaway" Fan Page has been created on Facebook.

Heres the link: http://www.facebook.com/#/group.php?gid=211048102531

It gets updated pretty frequently with the latest news for the sound study, town hall meetings regarding the track, etc.

Subscribe to the GLD mailing list and you'll get this info sent right to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg@GLD View Post
    Subscribe to the GLD mailing list and you'll get this info sent right to you.
    For those of you that had received this mass mailing today from GLD, there was a mistake on the date.

The town meeting is actually, TOMORROW - TUESDAY, JANUARY 26th @ 7pm! NOT January 25th.

Here is the link to the Town Hall Agenda:
    http://www.town-of-paris.org/Meeting...thly%20Mtg.pdf

Sorry for the confusion! We hope that you will all attend to show Support for Great Lakes Dragaway!

Thanks!
    Last edited by 1BadBytch; 01-26-2010 at 02:59 AM.