Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About fuggin' time McGwire!!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100111/...eroids_mcgwire

Huh? I never thought he was juicing?!?

Not to be taken serious Karps TA's Avatar
    Oh just great. Now I've nothing left to believe in.
    Ex-Trans Am owner.

LOL Just read this on si.com. Not surprised to be honest.

His statement http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...x.html?cnn=yes

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    To be honest, I admire that he's "come clean," though I think there is a little denial still there when he states that he used them for injuries and not strength. That's still disappointing.

I think slightly better of him now.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

my question is who cares? i still like him as a player. steroids have never effected my view on guys. steroid doesn't make you a better skilled athlete. steroids doesn't help you hit the ball hit helps hit it farther. 2 completely different things. if i was a fan of running and the runners juiced that would piss me off. lol same with pitching throwing harder and being accurate are 2 different things. greg maddux is proof of that. never threw hard but located pitches wherever he wanted to. one of the best of all time.
    Brandon
    2004.5 K2500hd LLY Dmax/Allison EC/SB - Minor Mod's
    2005 Trailblazer Lt 4x4 - Wife's - Stock
    PS3HANDLE:SilverStreak82

LOL, I giggled at the tags for this thread.

I'll touch your apex PureSound15's Avatar
    This is entertaining to me -

First off - I think the world as a whole completely misunderstands how much of the world is on steroids. I see it as a good AND a bad thing. Bad... because a majority of the world is under the impression that steroids kill people and caus baldness and make your penis shrink (like whoever it was that added "Tiny Penis" and "eggshapedbreasts" as tags). People don't understand them, the real side effects, or the fact that THOUSANDS of people take them and most people have no clue.

GOOD only because if the world only knew how many guys are on juice, they'd feel cheated and fear that everything they have believed is false - including that they could ever look like guys in workout magazines (if they attempted to naturally), that they could look like John Cena (who's a juicer) or that they could bench press 700 pounds.

Maybe it's because I've been around guys that juice for as long as I've been lifting, but this isn't shocking to me at all.

Where can I find steroids? I see all these people on them but I have no idea where to get them?

Quote Originally Posted by badass88gt View Post
    Where can I find steroids? I see all these people on them but I have no idea where to get them?
    Anywhere. Most of my friends buy them from Canada and there is a not so well hidden black market for them in New York, as well. They're very easy to get on the internet.

most of the time you can order the entire kit which includes a PCT to help get testosterone levels back to normal (and return your incredibly shrunken testicals back to normal size).

No, I have never juiced.

Most of your friends take steroids? lol, you better start! You're gonna fall behind.

Quote Originally Posted by badass88gt View Post
    Most of your friends take steroids? lol, you better start! You're gonna fall behind.
    I'm light years behind. And, in all honesty, 3 of the 4 guys I've lifted with for years are juicing and are completely addicted. Why stop doing something that allows you to put on 60+ pounds of muscle on over a couple months while I struggle to add 10lbs.

McGwire was coming out sooner or later once he agreed to be the hitting coach for STL...LaRussa said repeatedly he would address the issue before Spring Training so he isn't a distraction, or as much of one. I'm sure he has wanted to get it out in the open, it has to be a relief for him. I think players have learned that the media and country will forgive more than anything when admitting this stuff...if you keep denying people pry further and will reveal the truth and make you look like even more of a jackass in the end....not to mention possible legal action. I'm glad he admitted to it and surely more will come out, the media has hyped steriod abuse and picked baseball as its whipping boy. It's good in that it has cleaned the game up, for the most part, but unfair and annoying in that other athletes and sports have people abusing enhancing drugs but there isn't as big of an ordeal when someone is caught. McGwire was my favorite player as a kid and will always be, can't erase the past. Hopefully the other guys who keep denying this shit will just admit it, like Bonds and Clemens to name a couple.

Funny he admitted to really going on it after getting hurt in 93', but he got to his "big" stage before the 92' season. Also still hit 49 HR's as a rookie in 87' before any steriod use.

First off - I think the world as a whole completely misunderstands how much of the world is on steroids.
    I don't think that much of the world is on it...you lift alot it sounds like and know guys who do, most people don't know anyone personally who uses or ever has. A few guys I knew in high school did supposedly. 95% of the world has zero benefit to being on them.

Why stop doing something that allows you to put on 60+ pounds of muscle on over a couple months while I struggle to add 10lbs.
    I see your point but it's how a person can live with themselves knowing they're achievement is very much a direct result of something artificial, in that it isn't naturally in your body. It's like a girl being proud of her big tits if she has some implants. Some justify it, many others don't.
    86' MCSS - 13.35 @103
    87' MCLS - 14.55 @96
    02' Regal GS - Who cares

Ol' School
    I wonder how his son took all of this over the years? He was in so many spot lights with his dad as he played the game and broke records. Hes got to be a teenager now? He must have gotten hounded big time in school. What a shame

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

The truth shall set you free

For five years he's been thinking about it, so now it comes out. I say good for him and wish him the best in coaching. Now we need Barry Bonds to come out of the closet!
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free

Quote Originally Posted by PB86MCSS View Post

I don't think that much of the world is on it...you lift alot it sounds like and know guys who do, most people don't know anyone personally who uses or ever has. A few guys I knew in high school did supposedly. 95% of the world has zero benefit to being on them.

You're right. I guess I'm mostly talking about "big guys" or people in the spot light. Wrestlers, (obviously) body builders, Male Models, athletes, Actors (The Rock).

BUT - the guys I know aren't anything special. Ones a Md, one is in sales and one works in retail. They have no reason to do it other than... why not? They're guys that nobody would assume takes steroids because they're every day guys who go to the gym every single day just like I do.

I think a lot of people are under the misconception that a guy as big as The Rock can put on that much muscle naturally.

You mean The Rock is not natural? C'mon. He seems so genuine, he would NEVER partake in anything like that.

For an interesting documentary about steroids, the amount of people using them, the BENEFITS of use for non-athletes(AIDS patients, people with Muscular Dystrophy or other muscle-wasting diseases) and frankness about their overall safety (you are more likely to end up in the ER from drinking too much water than from taking steroids) check out the movie Bigger*Stronger*Faster* I have a few friends who have taken roids, or still do...personally I haven't and won't. I have been lifting on and off for 10 years,and feel better about what I have accomplished knowing I did it "on my own"
    Last edited by brotherbenn83; 01-11-2010 at 07:11 PM.
    GM World Class Certified Technician

Now his home run record needs to be stripped.....

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by brotherbenn83 View Post
    For an interesting documentary about steroids, the amount of people using them, the BENEFITS of use for non-athletes(AIDS patients, people with Muscular Dystrophy or other muscle-wasting diseases) and frankness about their overall safety (you are more likely to end up in the ER from drinking too much water than from taking steroids
    Well, here's the thing about using examples of AIDS, Muscular Dystrophy, and other chronic wasting diseases as an example:

The long term side effects of anabolic steroid use are of far less of a concern to these patients and their Doctors. These patients, you're basically trying to enhance the quality of what life they have...and to the extent that it can enhance their life or simply quality of life, the presence of a negative side effect of steroid use is still more desirable to what they would have gone through without.

Likewise if the documentary tries to argue that steroid use is safe only since you're more likely to end up in ER due to hypernatremia (electrolyte imbalance due to excessive water intake), while they are right on the statistics, that doesn't make steroid use safe...since I can't think of an instance of steroid use that could lead to an ER visit other than sudden steroid withdrawal (which can lead to a host of problems including death). We know many of the long term effects of steroids quite well though since steroids are commonly used to treat a host of diseases that would have resulted in patient death long before the problems of chronic steroid use did them in....however, in many of these cases, there is no doubt that the chronic use of steroids and the associated problems is eventually what did them in. The same problems would then be present for chronic steroid users who use for aesthetic reasons.

As a pure risk vs. benefits, I think steroid use for the healthy population is a poor proposition. If the point of working out is to "take care" of ones body with the goal of being healthy, chronic use works against this...so someone with health as an interest, steroid use should be seen as bad. That said, there are those who wish to use it for appearance sake, well then in my opinion, the individual suffers from body dysmorphic disorder and again, needs help of a different type (though we tend to think of BDD as a female dominant disorder, many men suffer it as well, and is expressed in a body building obsession...not nearly all or even close to a majority do, but a good number do).

Sure, it can improve performance, but the only reason it really gives one an "edge" is because it's illegal. Those that get that "edge" now would lose it as soon as everyone started using it.

If someone asked if I thought Mcgwire would have gotten as big w/o steroids, I don't see why he wouldn't be as big as he is right now. That's the thing about steroids, discontinue it's use, and the benefits you reaped will soon dissipate. Maybe he could add muscle quicker with steroids, and maybe he could maintain a higher mass while ON steroids, but the what he has now, provided he's no longer juicing, probably reflects his genetic potential.

IMO, steroid just has no use in the healthy population. I think it should be legal, sure...but that doesn't mean I think it should be used. Human growth hormone though, is a different story....

Oh, and the tag is wrong...steroids don't give you a small penis...they actually might increase the size of that. Just tiny pea balls.
    Last edited by Prince Valiant; 01-11-2010 at 08:26 PM.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Car Guy View Post
    Now his home run record needs to be stripped.....
    his total home run record? cuz the 70 in a season isn't a record anymore so. lol
    Brandon
    2004.5 K2500hd LLY Dmax/Allison EC/SB - Minor Mod's
    2005 Trailblazer Lt 4x4 - Wife's - Stock
    PS3HANDLE:SilverStreak82