Threaded View

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar

What I have been up to...

This winter, I had hoped to continue collecting parts for my 409 build and finish off my 4-speed grocery list. The 4-speed is ready to go once the car is out of storage. Now on to the 409 items

I bought a complete shortblock this past summer and haven't done a lot with it minus sell off some of the parts I won't be needing and begin clean-up on the rest. Here is a basic run down of where I am headed with the build:

late 63 casting 409 X block
    stock stroke original forged crank
    Eagle 6.135 (BBC) forged I-beam rods
    Ross forged pistons: shooting for around 11:1 compression on pump fuel
    Comp solid camshaft: 242/246 @.050 (272/276 advertised dur) with 595/.608 lift on a 110 LSA
    modified 333 casting iron heads with 2.195 intake and 1.72 exhaust valves
    Edelbrock large port dual 4 intake with 2 Eddy thunder AVS 500 cfm carbs
    MSD dizzy with my MSD 6al box
    rowed by my 2.52:1 built muncie m20

The goal for the motor is 475hp on 93 octane. It should be able to do that pretty easily from what I have been reading and talking with people about my build. A similar build netted 487hp with a smaller cam. I am trying to get the block down to the machine shop to have it hot tanked, magnafluxed and inspected hopefully soon. Here are a few pics of what I have been working on:

Factory GM highperformance crossmember engine mounts. These are getting to be pretty hard to find and I was lucky to score these from a rust free southern car

Factory oil canister. A lot of guy still believe these are the way to go for oil filtration. I could honestly go either way on this. I do like the old skool look to the canister so I might run it. Its cleaned and refinished ready to go. I have the original decal for it that I'll add later (the old filter is just there for reference)

Here are the Isky solid lifters I went with. These have a great rep with the 409 builders and the addition of oiling holes to prevent wiped lobes on the cam is must. I always wanted a solid lifter 409 motor so that's why I chose to go this route over a roller cammed motor

The goal:
    Last edited by jbiscuit; 02-20-2010 at 08:36 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed