Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar

What I have been up to...

This winter, I had hoped to continue collecting parts for my 409 build and finish off my 4-speed grocery list. The 4-speed is ready to go once the car is out of storage. Now on to the 409 items

I bought a complete shortblock this past summer and haven't done a lot with it minus sell off some of the parts I won't be needing and begin clean-up on the rest. Here is a basic run down of where I am headed with the build:

late 63 casting 409 X block
    stock stroke original forged crank
    Eagle 6.135 (BBC) forged I-beam rods
    Ross forged pistons: shooting for around 11:1 compression on pump fuel
    Comp solid camshaft: 242/246 @.050 (272/276 advertised dur) with 595/.608 lift on a 110 LSA
    modified 333 casting iron heads with 2.195 intake and 1.72 exhaust valves
    Edelbrock large port dual 4 intake with 2 Eddy thunder AVS 500 cfm carbs
    MSD dizzy with my MSD 6al box
    rowed by my 2.52:1 built muncie m20

The goal for the motor is 475hp on 93 octane. It should be able to do that pretty easily from what I have been reading and talking with people about my build. A similar build netted 487hp with a smaller cam. I am trying to get the block down to the machine shop to have it hot tanked, magnafluxed and inspected hopefully soon. Here are a few pics of what I have been working on:

Factory GM highperformance crossmember engine mounts. These are getting to be pretty hard to find and I was lucky to score these from a rust free southern car

Factory oil canister. A lot of guy still believe these are the way to go for oil filtration. I could honestly go either way on this. I do like the old skool look to the canister so I might run it. Its cleaned and refinished ready to go. I have the original decal for it that I'll add later (the old filter is just there for reference)

Here are the Isky solid lifters I went with. These have a great rep with the 409 builders and the addition of oiling holes to prevent wiped lobes on the cam is must. I always wanted a solid lifter 409 motor so that's why I chose to go this route over a roller cammed motor

The goal:
    Last edited by jbiscuit; 02-20-2010 at 08:36 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Quote Originally Posted by jbiscuit View Post
    The goal:
    Shouldn't the goal be to have it all together?

That's awesome man ,can't wait to see and hear it when it's done.
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now

what I meant was 409 in a 64 Chebie

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    fucking SWEEEEEET

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    That should be really sharp when you're done. Are you going to do any nostalgia drag racing or anything when your done?
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

School*
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    That should be really sharp when you're done. Are you going to do any nostalgia drag racing or anything when your done?
    it wouldn't be quick enough to compete with the 3.73s but I'd like to build my spare chunk with a spool and 4.88s or even 5.13s to get this yacht to move...just for fun. It'll see some track time though for sure once the motor is done

I'll touch your apex PureSound15's Avatar
    Very cool! We'll have to line em up next summer

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jbiscuit View Post
    It'll see some track time though for sure once the motor is done
    Can't wait to see it out there...with the cam you've got, it'll be a rumpetdy mofo, for sure
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

^ yea it will thump pretty good. Once the block gets in to the machine shop I can order the pistons and bearings. I am going to do a little blending on the runners of the heads and intake but the heads flow pretty good out of the box. They "stepped" the runners in the heads to allow anything from a mild clean up to a full porting and opening of the port. I'm having fun

Nice J! That is super cool!

why solid lifter over roller cammed motor?

Serious question, what's one got over the other?
    -Andy
    PS3, Xbox 360, & Steam tag: Cryptic78

"(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)

Cant wait to see it !!

Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    why solid lifter over roller cammed motor?
    mostly personal preference. I always wanted a solid lifter 409 since I saw and heard my first 425hp 409 when I was about 12. Nothing sounds like them I can tell you that. Another reason is cost. I can do lifters, valve springs and the cam for the price of a nice set of roller lifters.

Looking forward to hearing that myself.
    -Andy
    PS3, Xbox 360, & Steam tag: Cryptic78

"(@)'(@)""'''''''''''''"'''"**|(@)(@)*****"(@)

Just a bit of background on the 348s and 409s as to what makes them unique in case some of you didn't know:

The W-motor, as it was nicknamed due to its cylinder head layout, is a big bore (4.3125") and short stroke forged crank(3.5") on a 6.000" connecting rod. The combustion chamber is in the BLOCK rather than the head. The piston is unconventional in that the crown is wedge-shaped to form the combustion chamber in the block.

Piston:

GM believe they could tune performance and compression with piston shape and design. This created a power-generating wedge-shaped combustion area in the cylinder. A heavy piston was needed to withstand the forces generated in the cylinder. The 409s got a bad rap in the 60s once hot rodders began swapping camshafts, adding sticky tires and porting heads. The connecting rods weren't up to the task of supporting 450+hp. Lots of motors failed do to the connecting rods and the belief that the lopsided crown of the piston would "slap" the cylinder at high RPMs.

Today things are different. High performance forged connecting rods, lightened forged pistons and high performance aluminum heads have pushed the envelope as to what these motors are really capable of.

looking nice j
    will yours also have a direct port on it?
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

Quote Originally Posted by juicedimpss View Post
    looking nice j
    will yours also have a direct port on it?
    it'll be on the underside of the manifold. secret weapon. shhhhh

Just a quick update on what's going on with my 409.

Heads are on the way. I'll post pics when they show up. Changing direction here a bit. Decided to not go with the Edelbrocks based on a long conversation with a legend in 409 engine building. Suggested I go with a particular casting iron head that is often overlooked for its potential. Found a really nice set in Missouri and the deal is set so they should arrive later this week. Already bead blasted and cracked checked clean.

They will require some bowl work and basic porting to smooth out the runners etc but they should work well with my cam and compression combo. I'll be working with AMS here in West Allis to do the machine work on them including adding the screw in studs and a 3-angle job on the valves. The intake valve size will be increased from 1.94 to swirl polished 2.195s and the exhausts will go to 1.72. Those 2.195 intake valves are the same size that come on the large port high horse 409 motors, so you can see where I am going with this

I'll do some porting and clean-up to the heads themselves to remove the ridge created from the oversize valves etc.

Looking forward to getting them here. Overall I should end up with a set of heads that will flow similar to the Edelbrocks yet retain the stock head appearance and hopefully come out ahead a bit on the money side (I should considering I bartered parts for the heads).
    Last edited by jbiscuit; 02-20-2010 at 08:43 AM.

Sounds like a win win.Saving $$ and getting performance. Awesome
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now