Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Saab...is now dead.

It's too bad too. Thew 2010 9-5 is smokin hot. It sucks to see GM finally make a car that has the essence of Saab and then it goes south. Oh well. RIP.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/18/b...is-dead-on-th/

BREAKING: Swedish Patient Succumbs - Deal for Saab is dead on the table, GM to wind down brand

After a protracted saga that has seen bidders drop in-and-out, old model tooling and assets sold off to the Chinese, the enigmatic brand known as Saab is dead. In a press release issued this morning, General Motors announced that the "intended sale of Saab Automobile AB would not be concluded." GM had been in talks with Dutch exoticmakers Spyker Cars after pursuing a number of other buyer leads (including the aborted sale with Koenigsegg), but The General says that in the course of due diligence, the resolution of certain unspecified issues became impossible in the time frame that they had set for themselves.

As such, GM will immediately begin the "wind down" of the much-loved yet perpetually unprofitable cult brand, but says it will continue to honor warranties and provide spare parts and service – presumably through other GM brand dealers as Saab dealers go offline. Officials note that this is not a bankruptcy or forced liquidation situation, so outstanding creditors should still expect to receive payment.

It is not clear what will happen to the production-ready 2010 9-5, nor the current 9-3/9-3X model and almost-ready 9-4X. Official death certificate available after the jump.

That hasn't gone well. British_Ben's Avatar
    That sucks. I always liked Saabs, but never enough to own one, which is probably the issue.

The new 9-5 is so hot. Darn.

I don't want to hear any of your "Saab" stories!!!!
    "Never underestimate old guys"

Quote Originally Posted by DR.FORD View Post
    I don't want to hear any of your "Saab" stories!!!!
    Good one Jim.....

I remember when we had Saab when I worked at IA. I never liked them. The new ones do look decent though.

Gm is just going to throw it away or are they going to sell it to like India or Maybe the ChiComs ? I mean surely its a saleable name ?

This is why we don't have FWDs FoxStang's Avatar
    Every Saab I've ever driven has been junk, never understood why people would buy them. The newer ones looked ok, but all in all I say good riddance.
    1979 Mustang- Needs trans
    2004 Explorer- Daily

Quote Originally Posted by Windsors 03 Cobra View Post
    Gm is just going to throw it away or are they going to sell it to like India or Maybe the ChiComs ? I mean surely its a saleable name ?
    You haven't been paying attention have you? They've been trying to sell it for a long time. Koenigsegg was initially going to buy it but that fell through. Then Spyker stepped up to buy it. Well THAT just fell through and now GM has just decided to wind the brand down since there are no other very serious buyers.

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    If they aren't going to get any worthwhile money for it they're better off keeping it so they can bring it back later.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    If they aren't going to get any worthwhile money for it they're better off keeping it so they can bring it back later.
    Yeah that hasn't worked. Ever Saab GM sold they lost $5100 on.
    http://www.leftlanenews.com/report-e...s-gm-5100.html

Time to wrap it up.

I guess GM reported to have the obama motors loan paid in full by June?
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    I guess GM reported to have the obama motors loan paid in full by June?
    Sounds about right. They've NEEDED to actually ramp up production on quit a few models to meet demand.

Saab still makes jets!
    When Injustice Becomes Law; Rebellion Becomes Duty

I wonder what the sale price of SAAB was.
    Online Drag Racing -------Reaction Time Tester!
    Red 1982 Trans Am MSE Hooker 1 5/8, 3 inches back, 3:73s ---- Red 1990 Formula with ZZ4 motor, Hooker 2055s, American Thunder catback ---- Black 1991 GTA with 3 inch Flowmaster Catback system ---- Black 2002 WS6 Bone Stock

Suck Squish Bang Blow

Irish
    Last edited by Irish; 12-27-2009 at 10:13 AM.

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    never really got into saabs.

The Saab Aero-X is still one of the hottest concept cars ever made.

If this car doesn't make you wanna sneak into a bathroom with a bottle of Jergens then something is seriously wrong with you.*

*that is not an opinion but a matter of fact.

good-bye boosted shoes....
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

BCM Rseident Grill Master Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay's Avatar
    Saab vehicles are pitiful. Thank god