1997 Mercury Cougar

Hey guys,

I have a friend who has a 1997 Mercury Cougar with the 3.8 V6. She told me that a mechanic told her that her car needs Cats and all 4 O2 sensors. The check engine light is on.

Now here is the weird part. She took it for emissions today and it passed. I am beginning to question the diagnosis and plan on scanning it myself when I get by the car next time.

My question is this. If that mechanic was correct, is there any possible way it could still pass emissions and have that many problems, or should I be looking for another cause.
    2011 Lincoln MKS AWD

My guess is a faulty CEL light and someone is trying to take her for a ride. There is no way it would pass if the light was truly on because of bad converters and O2s.....

Last edited by Car Guy; 12-12-2009 at 04:53 PM.

Scan it and post the codes here, that mechanic is trying to make some money.

You can check out Tccoa and do a search on some threads if you want too.

http://forums.tccoa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9
    Last edited by OxmanWI; 12-12-2009 at 04:57 PM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free

Ok, I just scanned it and it has 2 codes popping up one says pending and the other is permanantly in the computer.

They both say its P1443 and it asked the brand of vehicle I was checking so It must be manufacturer specific. The description is Evaporative Emission System Control Valve(low/no Flow) I was thinking EGR valve is plugged up possibly. I will check TCCOA further. Thanks guys.

I definitely agree that someone is lying to her big time.
    2011 Lincoln MKS AWD

I have no idea how it passed with that code in the system......

Yeah, I have just been perusing google for ideas and they are saying its a purge canister back near the gas tank. Does this sound correct to you Justin??? TCCOA is my next stop.
    2011 Lincoln MKS AWD

This is why we don't have FWDs FoxStang's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 03CVLX View Post
    Ok, I just scanned it and it has 2 codes popping up one says pending and the other is permanantly in the computer.

They both say its P1443 and it asked the brand of vehicle I was checking so It must be manufacturer specific. The description is Evaporative Emission System Control Valve(low/no Flow) I was thinking EGR valve is plugged up possibly. I will check TCCOA further. Thanks guys.

I definitely agree that someone is lying to her big time.
    If the car has a evap canister it could be a old hose cracked.
    1979 Mustang- Needs trans
    2004 Explorer- Daily

Quote Originally Posted by 03CVLX View Post
    Yeah, I have just been perusing google for ideas and they are saying its a purge canister back near the gas tank. Does this sound correct to you Justin??? TCCOA is my next stop.
    It could be but there are many other things it could be too, hard to say without looking at it.....

Quote Originally Posted by FoxStang View Post
    If the car has a evap canister it could be a old hose cracked.
    Yup look for a small hose about the size of a 3/8? Should be on the left side (Passenger side) around the valve cover under the intake tube running down.

If you want I can start a thread over at Tccoa for you.

Note:

Quote Originally Posted by racecougar View Post
    Yep, just remove the passenger side wheel, then the fender liner, and you'll see the evap canister just below the air filter location. It's mounted to a bracket by one screw. There are a couple lines going to it, one of which should have the canister purge solenoid on it. It should only take 20-30 minutes to swap out the evap canister, including the time for removing/replacing the wheel and fender liner.
    Last edited by OxmanWI; 12-12-2009 at 06:05 PM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Anyone here have a portable smoke machine.

Get newspaper + matches and your set! A little off topic arn't we?
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Yeah Oxman If you can start a thread that would be cool. So the cracked hose is under the hood?? I figured it was in the back of the car near the tank. Shows how much I really know..

Edit** So I did some research on Tccoa, and found some really good threads on the problem. However it appears everyone that has had it and the pictures all show 4.6 cars. I guess I would just need to know if its exactly the same setup on a 3.8 car or not.
    Last edited by 03CVLX; 12-12-2009 at 11:20 PM.
    2011 Lincoln MKS AWD

-Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

Thanks, Oxman
    2011 Lincoln MKS AWD

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    When I worked at the test station, I would see a few cars with the light on pass every year. Especially Dodge Stratus or Cirruses or whatever the hell they are.

Pissed off the admins and earned a time out. Turkey Shoot Champion KidCougar's Avatar

my car passed with the 2 rear o2 sensors not even hooked up, no cats, and plenty of mods...passed with flying colors and the cel was on..