The Yellow Tie Fighter

Looking for late model dodge cummins with Holset turbo.

As the thread title suggests I am looking for someone with a late model dodge cummins diesel with the Holset HE351 VGT turbo.

Does anyone around here have one of those? Does anyone know what years came with the HE351(ve) turbo... 04.5-07?

I am looking to just hook up a few wires to the car and collect some data... Essentially I am looking to see if it is plausible to build a VGT controller so that the turbo can be put on other cars. So yea if you own one of those trucks or have a buddy that does please let me know, I'll buy ya some dinner or beer or something for letting me collect a little data.

I think that one was only on the 07's and 08's? I know some dsm guys have done it
    -Tyler

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Bag View Post
    I think that one was only on the 07's and 08's? I know some dsm guys have done it
    Some dsm guys have used that turbo with a simple mechanical actuator that worked so-so. They did not use the nice electronic actuator that is already on there... and they surely didn't have a controller for it.

The idea is to have a plug-and-play controller to talk directly with the nice electronics that are already on board.

Hmm... so you think its the newer trucks. Maybe I can find a local on a diesel board?!

uh oh,murray.....you back to scheming again?
    Check out our NEW online store!
    http://store.clocksoffracing.com/

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by juicedimpss View Post
    uh oh,murray.....you back to scheming again?
    I have had now 2 requests to build a controller for this VGT. First one I kind of shrugged off but then I figured what the hell I'll at least spend a little time on it to see where it goes. If it is "easy enough" then maybe it is worth it to make a controller for the masses. Hell I know I would like a 500-600whp turbo that I could get to spool at like 2000rpm on my little baby motor. A nice controller should also be able to give you intermediate boost levels which would make the car feel very NA-like. It also should theoretically be able to achieve the ideal turbine A/R for your given maximum boost level as well which should help get the most out of the turbo.

BTW we still gotta put a simple controller on that bender of yours! Nothing like some cheap accurate bends. I've been meaning to stop out there and take a look at what you got... been just so damn busy.

You are the man Murray.......

Needs to be from a Dodge?
    Quote Originally Posted by lotsals1
    I nailed his a$$ with my windsheild fluid
    Toyota Prius: Probably not your first mistake.

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    So I learned more. I called a buddy that has an 07 2500 with the 5.9.

It turns out what I am looking for is the new dodge 6.7L cummins. Which would be an 08 or 09 model, otherwise I guess it was an option (although not a common option) in the 07s.

Pretty sure it has to be a dodge. Essentially the motor needs to have the Holset HE351VE turbo on it. Which I believe only the dodge's have. So if anyone knows of someone with a 08-09 dodge diesel that would be what I am looking for.