Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 98 ss conv ?s

98 ss conv ?s

whats it worth suppose to be super clean and around 100k miles
    New Year,New Logo,New Motor,and a new norfside hit list from the SSM and the new DIRTY SOUTH CREW for 07

Post whore
    I'd say 8-10k
    1999 Pontiac Trans am

Irish
    Last edited by Irish; 12-28-2009 at 11:55 AM.

Post whore
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    5k or less
    find me one.
    1999 Pontiac Trans am

Irish
    Last edited by Irish; 12-28-2009 at 11:56 AM.

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    What something is being listed as for sale and what someone is willing to pay/what a seller is going to get for it is entirely different right now. It's actually got me looking for 72 GTOs again.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

Post whore
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    98 motor is decent but it's still perimeter bolt heads which are sub par. The computer isn't the best for tuning either. If it was a 6 speed it may be worth more. I have heard of LS1 camaro's going for as little as 800 on LS1tech with a bad water pump.

They are getting to be very, very cheap these days.

This is a 2000

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-CH...item3ca795c667
    That camaro has 172k miles, and is a z28 not an ss. It also has had an accident. That's nuts. And the reserve is not met. You are right about the 98's being sub par to the 99+ and that camaros are going cheap now, but not a super clean conv. SS with 100k miles. I have seen z28 coupes under 5k quite a few times. Those ones usually have problems, lots of miles, and not "super clean".
    1999 Pontiac Trans am

Irish
    Last edited by Irish; 12-28-2009 at 11:29 AM.

wow irish dont be so hard on him like you said everyone is only going to pay what they think its worth
    New Year,New Logo,New Motor,and a new norfside hit list from the SSM and the new DIRTY SOUTH CREW for 07

Irish
    Last edited by Irish; 12-28-2009 at 11:28 AM.

Post whore
    No problem. We differ on opinions that is all. Bottom line, a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay. i'm on craigslist and ls1tech, as well as many other forums everyday, I was just stating what I thought it was worth based on what I have seen. I still find it hard to believe, however, that you think a "super clean" ss conv. is worth less than 5k. Everyone has their own opinion though.
    1999 Pontiac Trans am

Irish
    Last edited by Irish; 12-28-2009 at 11:27 AM.

the car im talkin about is an all stock garage kept never seen snow supposably. unmalested havent seen in person but the pic that i have seen it looks really nice.

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    I would never buy a 98. Just my opinion and I have my reasons. SS's are nice and so are convertibles but with 100k miles.....ya.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

Senior Member..now yer posting! MT98Z's Avatar
    Don't be afraid of a 98,love mine and have no problems with tuning,it can be a little tricky at times but I always have found a way around it.Alot of thoses rumors get started buy somebody who doesn'y really know what there talking about and escalate from there,sure theres advantages to 99+ but if it's clean and a deal that wouldn't stop me from buying. Don't worry SouthSide I'll help ya out if needed.

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    The rod bolts were the problems in the '98. The perimeter heads are only for the valve covers, so that's not a big deal cause it only affects how the coils are mounted to the head. If you are doing aftermarket heads at any point, you'll be swapping to the centerbolt as that is what most of the ported heads are. The good news is that the fuel pump and the injectors were better on the '98's compared to the '99 and '00 cars. The '01 and '02's were the best with the bigger injectors and the LS6 intake, and I believe there is a tuning benefit they have in regards to tables, but I'm not positive on that.

After getting the rid of the wheels and nitrous kit, I basically paid $6000 for my '99, and that was 5 years ago.

Because of the 100k, I'd say that it'd probably be worth $6500 at most. And yes, if you look on ls1tech for sale section, you can find more cars for sale. You may be looking to pay 8k on there, but the car will only have 65,000 or 75,000. And I'd definitely pay more for that. Not because the cars don't last long, but because of resale value later. You'll hit the 100,000 when you go to sell it, compared to it being at 150k

oops

Quote Originally Posted by Crawlin View Post
    The rod bolts were the problems in the '98. The perimeter heads are only for the valve covers, so that's not a big deal cause it only affects how the coils are mounted to the head. If you are doing aftermarket heads at any point, you'll be swapping to the centerbolt as that is what most of the ported heads are. The good news is that the fuel pump and the injectors were better on the '98's compared to the '99 and '00 cars. The '01 and '02's were the best with the bigger injectors and the LS6 intake, and I believe there is a tuning benefit they have in regards to tables, but I'm not positive on that.

After getting the rid of the wheels and nitrous kit, I basically paid $6000 for my '99, and that was 5 years ago.

Because of the 100k, I'd say that it'd probably be worth $6500 at most. And yes, if you look on ls1tech for sale section, you can find more cars for sale. You may be looking to pay 8k on there, but the car will only have 65,000 or 75,000. And I'd definitely pay more for that. Not because the cars don't last long, but because of resale value later. You'll hit the 100,000 when you go to sell it, compared to it being at 150k
    just bluebooked it....$6200 trade in value, $8200 private party value
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

these are one set of cars you'd get more from a dealer than you would a private party in the real world of car guys, hahaha

Irish
    Last edited by Irish; 12-28-2009 at 11:25 AM.