Lookign to buy my first Semi-Auto

Looking for suggestions mostly, planning on buying sometime this coming week. I went to Cabelas today looking for a 1911 and found it takes a few months to get one, so I handled a few other guns and really liked the Springfield XD's

Looking for something to take to the range a few times a month but mostly wanted something compact to keep at the house. Not sure what caliber to get, 9mm .40 and .45 seem to be the most common stocked sizes.

They also have a used Mossberg 500 for 200 bucks I was considering picking up for the bedroom

Anyways, any suggestions for pistols? Are these XD's any good? Anything I can get thats better in the 550ish price range?
    Last edited by pOrk; 11-21-2009 at 05:57 PM.
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Ol' School Ron North's Jewels Champion
    IMO any of those calibers will do the trick for home protection. If you plan on going to the range alot 9mm ammo is the cheapest to shoot. I have a 9mm and a box of 50 round Reminton 9mm 115gr hollow point is $14.99 at Gander mountain.

Some people say that 9mm are not the strongest for shooting someone that is breaking in. .40 SW is reasonable to shoot and will do good on a home defense.

.45 Great for home defense but it may cost you at the range expecally when you a shooting off 300 rounds.

When buying a gun it all comes down to what feels good in your hand and what you want it to do.

The gun you are looking at is what I thought about getting when I bought my sig. It was my number two choice.

Another gun that you might be interested in is a F&N.
    Last edited by Silver350; 11-21-2009 at 06:12 PM.

I plan on buying a .22 if I like going to the range. Whats the difference between ammo prices w/ .40 vs .45?
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Ol' School Ron North's Jewels Champion
    I dont really know the answer to that question seeing I only have a 9mm I tend to have tunnel vision when looking at Ammo to Purchase and tend to only really pay attention to the 9mm ammo prices.

I have 9mm, .40S&W, .45 ACP, and .50ae handguns. So far I've only ever bought ammo for plinking at the range (FMJ round or flat nose). Prices for the 9,40 and 45 are within a few bux. I wanna say I get 50 rounds of 9mm for $10-$11, 50 rounds of 40 for $13-$14, and 50 rounds of 45 ACP for $18-$19. Rounds for the 50 are ridiculous ($47.99 for 20!!), so I reload my own.

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    personally i like my 9mm over the 45 only because it holds 17 rounds in the mag and has a lazer.but as far as accuracy and stopping power hands down the 45acp smith i have is the only choice,but its a 8 round mag.
    recently i purchased a judge 410/45 and right now with buckshot it is the one next to my bed.

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

Smith and wesson M&P is a comparable gun to the SA xd. I went to the range and shot them both before buying a xd in 9mm. I know fletchers in waukesha has xd's, xdm's and m&p's that you can try out before making a decision.

I've shot Glocks alot in 9mm and 40 and used to have one in .40. I've shot an XDm in .40 and like the Glock better. Haven't shot an M&P yet.

I like 9mm because you can buy 100rd WWB for $20 at walmart. Cheaper rounds=More practice=good thing, 9mm is as cheap as you can get for centerfire handgun rounds.
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now

You cannot go wrong with an XD or a Glock. I have both in various calibers, very nice pistols. The XDM was NRA magazines "handgun of the year" last year I believe.
    96 Viper GTS Underground Racing Twin 78mm Precision turbos, Proline 510 stroker-1483RWHP
    73 Challenger Bickel Chassis, Indy 572 HEMI-860HP
    67 Plymouth Fury Police Pursuit, Indy 505-600HP
    94 Stealth RT/TT built 6G72, 13G, FMIC
    75 Trailduster 440 Convertible
    92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Super Mario Mushroom Champion Starcastle Champion Korndogg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Cooper View Post
    personally i like my 9mm over the 45 only because it holds 17 rounds in the mag and has a lazer.but as far as accuracy and stopping power hands down the 45acp smith i have is the only choice,but its a 8 round mag.
    recently i purchased a judge 410/45 and right now with buckshot it is the one next to my bed.

my XD .45 holds 13 in the mag. Just depends what you go with.
    1968 Camaro 383

You need to shoot some different models in different calibers, find out what feels good. What feels good to me is my Glock 23.

Second Amendment = Reset button for the Constitution.
    17 Yr. GM Master Technician, (Ret.)
    Type 01-Federal Firearms License Holder
    Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Contact me with your firearm needs
    '02 FLHTCUI- 95"- 106HP

Quote Originally Posted by Coops Brother View Post
    You need to shoot some different models in different calibers, find out what feels good. What feels good to me is my Glock 23.
    What he said. Shooters Shop on 84th rents guns.
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now