Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

odd sound at start up

have talked to a few International mechanics and such and nobody can answer it yet, only does it right after i start the truck and its been sitting for more then an hr. Has done it since i put my intake in too, truck runs fine other wise and doesnt miss a beat, just curious?

-Kyle

2006 F350 6.0 CCLB DRW Lariat
    Gearhead, Holders Diesel, Retro Solutions, Pure Diesel Power, Screamin Eagle, Spyder Industries, Recon, Dirty Diesels
    KCCO!

Should mention that it sucked the rain caps down too...
    98 Ranger 4.0 5spd 4x4 Ext Cab
    02 TLR

Senior Member..now yer posting! Monstr913's Avatar
    the hissing sound? its just ur turbo, u'll notice more turbo noise when driving too from an intake upgrade...it will only do it when its "cold"...i believe its just releasing the pressure, chris will tell u what it is, he knows all lol.
    DD: 2003 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually, ec/lb, Efi live by Duramax Tuner controlled through Edge CTS monitor, 5" MBRP exhaust, AFE stage 2 intake.

Toy: "My Pet Monster" 2001 Chevy 2500hd cc/sb, 2.6 pull truck, more money in it then I'd like to admit.

Yeah it would start.. run for a sec.. then suck the rain caps down like it was doing some weird vacuum thing...
    98 Ranger 4.0 5spd 4x4 Ext Cab
    02 TLR

Mine does that too

Mine does it A LOT when it's real cold out....Exhaust Back Pressure Valve (EBPV). And it sounds like it is working properly. It closes off some exhaust, puts a load on the motor, and help the diesel warm up.
    Last edited by DynoTom; 11-14-2009 at 09:19 AM.

im just confused on why it only did it with my intake in....and it did it all summer
    -Kyle

Gearhead, Holders Diesel, Retro Solutions, Pure Diesel Power, Screamin Eagle, Spyder Industries, Recon, Dirty Diesels
    KCCO!

Intake

Quote Originally Posted by Yeehaw View Post
    im just confused on why it only did it with my intake in....and it did it all summer

Mine only starting making the sound when I installed a intake pipe and filter , I'm sure it was always doing it just that I could never hear it before with the stock closed box filter set up...I thought guys on thedieselstop.com told me that it only goes to that function when it's below a certain temp.....

or could be cuz ur sucking in more cold air now, which might trip a air temp sensor and make ebpv work harder, not to sure
    DD: 2003 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually, ec/lb, Efi live by Duramax Tuner controlled through Edge CTS monitor, 5" MBRP exhaust, AFE stage 2 intake.

Toy: "My Pet Monster" 2001 Chevy 2500hd cc/sb, 2.6 pull truck, more money in it then I'd like to admit.

Quote Originally Posted by DynoTom View Post
    Mine only starting making the sound when I installed a intake pipe and filter , I'm sure it was always doing it just that I could never hear it before with the stock closed box filter set up...I thought guys on thedieselstop.com told me that it only goes to that function when it's below a certain temp.....
    yea it should only engage when the truck is really cold, which is usually under 40 degrees from what i hear and have noticed with the truck but usually will do it when you try to accelerate real hard then it shuts it and keeps the exhaust back and warms the engine faster....but why does this only do it at start up
    -Kyle

KCCO!

Exhaust Back-Pressure Sensor (EBP)
    The Exhaust Back-Pressure (EBP) sensor measures pressure in the right exhaust manifold and is located next to the oil reservoir. This sensor is used in conjunction with the exhaust back-pressure regulator to form a closed loop exhaust back pressure control system. The EBP sensor is also used for diagnosis of the turbocharger. Exhaust back-pressure is controlled to provide more heat to the coolant for cab heating when ambient air temperature is below 45° F (7° C) and engine oil temperature is below 167° F (75° C) during low load, low speed operating conditions. An open or short in the EBP sensor wiring will result in a low out of range voltage at the PCM.
    2002 dodge cummins - mechanically injected, stupid built.. never ending project
    2013 Toyota Tacoma - crewcab, v6, 6 spd, 4wd, TRD package

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinRAM114 View Post
    Exhaust Back-Pressure Sensor (EBP)
    The Exhaust Back-Pressure (EBP) sensor measures pressure in the right exhaust manifold and is located next to the oil reservoir. This sensor is used in conjunction with the exhaust back-pressure regulator to form a closed loop exhaust back pressure control system. The EBP sensor is also used for diagnosis of the turbocharger. Exhaust back-pressure is controlled to provide more heat to the coolant for cab heating when ambient air temperature is below 45° F (7° C) and engine oil temperature is below 167° F (75° C) during low load, low speed operating conditions. An open or short in the EBP sensor wiring will result in a low out of range voltage at the PCM.
    And you copied and pasted that from....

copy and pasted from his mind, lol hes the deezel god

You know those straight brim hat wearing bastards don't talk like that.

ouch straight brim wearing. lol
    Brandon
    2004.5 K2500hd LLY Dmax/Allison EC/SB - Minor Mod's
    2005 Trailblazer Lt 4x4 - Wife's - Stock
    PS3HANDLE:SilverStreak82

haha...its a pretty good copy and paste...and i knew that much just never did that noise before i put the intake on it
    -Kyle

KCCO!

yup copy and paste! it might be inconjuction with the IAT sensor in the intake tube, the new cia might have made it more responsive. - thats not copy and paste beeotch

ps aaron sell me your truck seriously!
    2002 dodge cummins - mechanically injected, stupid built.. never ending project
    2013 Toyota Tacoma - crewcab, v6, 6 spd, 4wd, TRD package

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinRAM114 View Post
    yup copy and paste! it might be inconjuction with the IAT sensor in the intake tube, the new cia might have made it more responsive. - thats not copy and paste beeotch

ps aaron sell me your truck seriously!
    kinda what i figured since its half in the intake box and duct taped in
    -Kyle

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by Yeehaw View Post
    have talked to a few International mechanics and such and nobody can answer it yet,

Those were not International mechanics, if they were they would have known exactly what the noise after working on Buss' for anything more than a few months.
    http://sites.google.com/site/russjerome/
    Watching the country collapse in front of me while nobody else notices...

Quote Originally Posted by Russ Jerome View Post
    Those were not International mechanics, if they were they would have known exactly what the noise after working on Buss' for anything more than a few months.
    two lakeside employees lol....and like i said they never listened to the truck just by how i was explaining it
    -Kyle

KCCO!

Bob the Builder says: 88Nightmare's Avatar
    my neighbors rock stock 1999 powerstroke does it very loudly. His would even do it on a cold start when its 50-60 degrees outside in the morning. sometimes even when its warmer out. seems normal to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by pOrk View Post
    All democrats like to work on wood, zing!
    The democracy will cease to exist when you take from those willing to work and give to those that are not - Thomas Jefferson
    2008 Yamaha FZ6
    2005 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 duramax