Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Chrysler Revitilization Plan:

...and hopefully, they saved the best for last.

Highlights of what's coming

• Small clean diesels for cars.
    • Diesel Wrangler and wrangler line will be expanded, retaining solid front axles.
    • turbo and twin turbo I4's and v6's. The smallest turbo 4 will displace 1.4 liters, and produce 160hp. A new direct injected 2.4 turbo 4 featuring fuels saving "multi-air" tech will produce 300hp. The upcoming pentastar based twin turbo 3.0 v6 will produce 400hp.
    • Non turbo v6's (3.0, 3.3, 3.6) will produce b/w 280hp-300hp depending on applications. May be fitted with multi-air tech as well.
    • 6.4 Hemi v8 is confirmed w/ mult-displacement, though power figures are still vague b/w 450 and 500hp.
    • New Charger will be based more closely to the sleek and slightly retro '99 concept...new teaser pic unveiled below.
    • Sprinter vans will be replaced by Fiat vans.
    • Making a move into HD truck/Semi market with the move to seperate RAM to it's own brand, no longer part of Dodge.

Since the plan is being unfolded today, and will continue, I'll probably update the list later. I want to confirm what the plans are for transmissions before posting.

Other news of note:

• Viper will continue for 500 more cars, a replacement considered for 2012.
    • Dakota to be replaced by 2011, perhaps with a car based platform vehicle (think the car based honda ridgeline).
    • Frank assessment of interiors, all cars (including challenger) to be revitalized/updated in this regard by 2011.
    • Chrysler midsizes to be replaced by fiat based models in 2012. Sebring/Avenger will get siginificant refresh w/ new engines, trans, chassis tunning, interior/exterior refresh til then.
    • Nitro/Liberty to receive significant refresh/resegmenting by 2011.
    • Patriot/Compass to be replaced by 2012.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Fiat!!!

Pah!
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Anymore information on "multi-air" ?

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
    Anymore information on "multi-air" ?
    Multi-air is basically a variable valve timing system that's infinitely adjustable. It is different though in that the intake valve is no longer operated by a camshaft, instead by magnets opening and closing the valves, while the exhaust valves employ traditional camshaft with variable timing capabilities.

This allows for cam timing for maxium power across the powerband of course, but it also allows for changing from say an otto cycle engine to a moddified atkinson cycle with delayed closing of the intake valve (reduces pumping losses).

I think the "multi-air" name also comes from the fact that under certain conditions, it'll allow for both the exhaust AND intake valve to remain open so as to introduce exhaust gasses back into the intake charge (think EGR, without the EGR hardware), that'll allow for far leaner mixtures running under light to moderate loads, much like my insight employs (which itself is an atkinson cycle engine).

Apparently it's already used in fiat based 1.4's, and is easily adaptable to any number of current production engines, including and up to the Hemi's. Reported gains are up to 25% in efficiency w/ no sacrifice of power. Can be paired with both turbo and NA applications.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Chrysler Certified Technician Plum Crazy's Avatar
    Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning

the only thing that worries me as a chrysler technician is the Ram line seperate. Does that mean that we will have to service medium duty trucks??
    2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Plum Crazy Purple
    2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Flame Red
    1967 AMC Ambassador Convertible

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Wow... So I read about Fiat's multi-air system (which is what Chrysler would be using, although Fiat is actually the designer)... And honestly the system is a borderline breakthrough in mechanical valve control.

It is a very smart way to add essentially infinately variable intake valve lift and timing (up to a maximum of the LARGE mechanical lobe on the SOHC cam). They are using the variable lift and duration idea to do some very tricky things to help improve fuel efficiency (lower pumping loses through early intake valve closing, and EGR effect), reduce emissions (EGR, and improved atomization through turbulance), all the while providing an increase in performance (obviously due to having truly variable lift and duration). The hardware design is genious, I just hope the reliability of those solenoids are up to snuff under the temperature extremes and extreme duty cycle. The software also sounds like it is really really impressive as it is controlling air mass on literally a cylinder-by-cylinder, stroke-by-stroke basis

On a side note, I wonder if this means a car like that would NEVER benefit from a camshaft upgrade since the stock cam is so big under high rpm cases as is. Or... if you did decide to upgrade cam(s) you would also need to flash your PCM, not to change for VE, but rather to make sure your electronic cam profiles were still correct.... Weird

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 05 SC/SB View Post
    the only thing that worries me as a chrysler technician is the Ram line seperate. Does that mean that we will have to service medium duty trucks??
    Perhaps...but I don't think so. I think the reason to get the "RAM" brand out there is to get the trucks into some chrysler dealers that don't also sell dodge. This way one could have a Chrsysler/Jeep/Ram dealer vs just chrysler/jeep, or chrysler/dodge/jeep in which you have dodge and chrysler cars too similar competing against each other.

There may be stand alone RAM dealers which do the medium and possibly up to semi sized trucks, but that I haven't seen yet.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning

another big question is who is going to make these engines?? This may look good for the Kenosha engine plant that was slated to close at any time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
    It is a very smart way to add essentially infinately variable intake valve lift and timing ...
    Here's a good show of what it does, which i different than what I had understood:
    http://www.caranddriver.com/features...h_dept/gallery
    Last edited by Prince Valiant; 11-04-2009 at 05:46 PM.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Blog Entries
    More:

Jeep

• Fiat Panda is coming to slate under the compass and Patriot by 2012.
    • Patriot/compass will combine in 2012 for a fiat sourced small suv
    • Liberty significantly refreshed for 2010, replaced by 2013. Perhaps Liberty type body on wrangler frame.
    • Wrangler refreshed in 2010 and 2011 (probably expansions and new engines).
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant;592220. [COLOR=darkorange
    The upcoming pentastar based twin turbo 3.0 v6 will produce 400hp.[/COLOR]
    • Non turbo v6's (3.0, 3.3, 3.6) will produce b/w 280hp-300hp depending on applications. May be fitted with multi-air tech as well.
    • Making a move into HD truck/Semi market with the move to seperate RAM to it's own brand, no longer part of Dodge.

Patriot/Compass/CALIBER to be replaced by 2012.

THIS is the correct path to travel down! DEFF wanna see what this is about

Dodge is about to do it real big now, thanks to Fiat, complete new line up of cars.

I will deffinitly consider trading my car in on an awd tt v6, as long as its reasonably offordable (under 30k-not ganna be-)

I wish i had enough money to start my own auto company!

Oh and note caliber will be replaced as well. its on the compass chassis.

:sniffle:

RIP
    srt-4 lineup
    2008-2009

Was greatly underestimated,
    And will be missed by roughly 3k people

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo-Triumph View Post
    Oh and note caliber will be replaced as well. its on the compass chassis.

:sniffle:

RIP
    srt-4 lineup
    2008-2009

Was greatly underestimated,
    And will be missed by roughly 3k people

So stupid, the caliber Powertrain is the best chrysler has ever had, we have had only 3 CVTs with issues and 2 world engine problems and they are killing the World engine because its noisy. So dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by 05 SC/SB View Post
    and they are killing the World engine because its noisy. So dumb.

Noisy?

Wtf... the only time its noisy is when my cars in neutral, and you can hear something in the tranny rattle.

i was told this is normal, as alot of others reported this too.

I dont get it.. killing the srt4 line-up either.

They also COMPLETLY SHIT ON all csrt4 owners, and didnt even list ANY...NOT ONE.... single performance part in the 2010 catolague.

WTF?

Oh well.. worste case scenario, NOTHING new comes out for the car, and im still garaunteed to be able to hit 597hp. thats good enough for me, anyways.

I wanna go fast... $title Champion Crawlin's Avatar
    So Chris...

would you say the seperate standalone "RAM" dealerships would be like a GMC dealership? So like how Greenfield Pontiac/Buick/GMC is?

For anyone interested here's more than likely what the 2011 Dodge Charger will look like. Looks a bit Fiat inspired IMO.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/dodge-charger-2011.html

Sorry, I hate when links don't post the way I want them too.

Quote Originally Posted by 68coronet View Post
    http://www.leftlanenews.com/dodge-charger-2011.html

Sorry, I hate when links don't post the way I want them too.
    Like it said in the post, that's very close to the 99 Charger concept car, which I really liked (even though it had 4 doors). Still don't think they should have called it a Charger, Charger's never had 4 doors. Why not a Coronet, they came in 4 door models back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by STANMAN View Post
    Like it said in the post, that's very close to the 99 Charger concept car, which I really liked (even though it had 4 doors). Still don't think they should have called it a Charger, Charger's never had 4 doors. Why not a Coronet, they came in 4 door models back in the day.
    As a mopar pureist, I couldn't agree more. But there is the argument that the average joe doesn't remember the coronet name but who the hell hasn't heard of a charger. I hear "nice charger" about 8 times more than "nice challenger". I've also heard numerous people tell me they really liked the new redesigned mustang while referring to the new challenger.

cruiser-70 challenger- 452 low deck
    beater-93 Dakota 4x4-360 magnum-14.88@90
    sled- 04 Pro-X2 600-Mostly stock for now