Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The RB hookup?

Quote Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
    From what i remember i think that's what liz paid for her motor/trans and Harness through FNF motors. and that was shipped. They were DECENT. motor was in good shaped. fired at the first crank. haven't had any problems with the motor since we got it. the trans is on it's way out. so i'm not sure if that was out fault,the importers fault that the trans isn't good, or the shop we took the car too cause after it was at the shop it wasen't as good as it was before.
    ps theres one problem w/ the motor.. it runs HOT.

ok carry on w/ ur rb talk
    2jz240sx
    Quote Originally Posted by BOSS LX View Post

Remember, "if it was easy, it wouldn't be cool!"
    wi240sx.OMGforum.net

Irish
    Last edited by Irish; 12-28-2009 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    For 2400, you could do an LSx, 6speed setup!
    I like that idea.
    2000 Firebird Formula

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post

Otherwise, if the price is right I know of a beautiful, highly modified, singled, ready for show/street/drag/road coarse RB26 98 240sx
    I had no idea the nice 240 at road america had a rb26 in it

Got any underhood pics? Figured it was a sr20 swap.
    '94 6 liter 7 sold!
    '04 evo rs
    ml55 amg

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    ^^

LSx is great platform but again not for that price. LS1/T56 for $2400 is just as much of a pipe dream as RB26/25 trans for $2400.

Most good motorsets with t56 go for way more than that, then there would be a considerable amount of modification to get it into a Z32 (or even an S30).

Irish
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
    ^^

LSx is great platform but again not for that price. LS1/T56 for $2400 is just as much of a pipe dream as RB26/25 trans for $2400.

Most good motorsets with t56 go for way more than that, then there would be a considerable amount of modification to get it into a Z32 (or even an S30).
    How many Ls1's have you bought or sold?

I sold a motor and trans for $1900. That would still leave $500 on the table for other stuff. I am not saying it's the end all be all. I think a mod motor/t5 setup would be pretty cool too. Or how about a turbo 3.8 with a t56?

I think $2400 could get you a lot if you are johnny on the spot with the cash on some good deals.

I will admit that I have no idea on what it would cost to get it in there though.

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by turbogarrett View Post
    I had no idea the nice 240 at road america had a rb26 in it

Got any underhood pics? Figured it was a sr20 swap.
    Thanks! Your FD is nothing short of amazing as well. I was oogling that thing coming down the front straight all day

I really should take some more updated pictures of the car, but here are some underhood pics from about a year and a half back. A few things have changed but it is still mostly the same.

And since this is an RB thread after all, this is what they sound like (even the 25 sounds VERY close to this), small displacement inline 6, short stroke, high revs. This is some video that I guess some bystander took of my car one day when I went to GLD with it.
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/s...nat_703064.htm
    Last edited by WhatsADSM; 11-08-2009 at 09:14 PM.

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by Irish View Post
    How many Ls1's have you bought or sold?

I sold a motor and trans0 for $1900. That would still leave $500 on the table for other stuff. I am not saying it's the end all be all. I think a mod motor/t5 setup would be pretty cool too. Or how about a turbo 3.8 with a t56?

I think $2400 could get you a lot if you are johnny on the spot with the cash on some good deals.

I will admit that I have no idea on what it would cost to get it in there though.
    This is true I have personally not purchased a single one. Although I have budgeted for many a projects for that included some LSx variant and it was always way more than 2500. Truthfully a good T56 is worth not too far frmo the $2400 number on it's own. EDIT: When you sold your setup for $1900, was it an auto or something?

The one project I was involved with that was completed (FC3S LS1/T56) the LS1/T56 motorset was had at a "steal" for around 3300 when all was said and done (well actually we needed to source an F-body pan as well, but I digress). It comes back to the same thing as I mentioned before with the RB26. Can you find a LS1 with everything on it (every sensor, full harness, PCM, etc) and a T56 in good condition for $2400?... sure, but those kinds of deals are hard to find and personally I wouldn't count on it. Most people in the sport compact communities I frequent plan on around 4k for a motorset which is reasonable.
    Last edited by WhatsADSM; 11-08-2009 at 10:59 PM.

Irish
    Last edited by Irish; 12-28-2009 at 05:02 PM.

Personally I would not be able to bastardize the Z by putting in an American motor in her, for me its either a built Vg30dett or an rb25/26. My friend is offering me a package deal which would consist of an rb25/trans/wiring harness/ecu/polished greddy intake/t51 turbo/modified manifold and down pipe for $3500 which is what I am currently looking at right now.

Currently shes completely gutted right now, im going to start re-upholstering the interior and sanding down the engine bay and painting it.

Why not a VQ? Have you thought about that route?

Quote Originally Posted by Exitspeed View Post
    Why not a VQ? Have you thought about that route?
    Nah, it would not be worth the modification needed to put it in. The VG30dett is superior motor when talking F/I. I hate the fact that it takes someone with an RB what, half an hour? to remove a turbo and I have to pull my engine. Granted it only takes me a few hours but its still just a pain. I will eventually have a TTZ with a built VG30DETT but I have special plans for this one.

My inspiration:

Quote Originally Posted by gottwins? View Post
    My friend is offering me a package deal which would consist of an rb25/trans/wiring harness/ecu/polished greddy intake/t51 turbo/modified manifold and down pipe for $3500 which is what I am currently looking at right now.
    i'm not sure why you would even consider passing this up.

The turbo itself is about $1500 intake mani is a few 100 more. Do it. If not sell me the T51 for cheap i love the way they sound.

Quote Originally Posted by gottwins? View Post
    Nah, it would not be worth the modification needed to put it in. The VG30dett is superior motor when talking F/I. I hate the fact that it takes someone with an RB what, half an hour? to remove a turbo and I have to pull my engine. Granted it only takes me a few hours but its still just a pain. I will eventually have a TTZ with a built VG30DETT but I have special plans for this one.

My inspiration:

hmmm Not sure if i would say the VG30 is superior to the VQ when it comes to boost anymore. they are doing some INCREDIBLE things with the VQ35 now. seriously one of the best import engines to come out in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
    i'm not sure why you would even consider passing this up.

The turbo itself is about $1500 intake mani is a few 100 more. Do it. If not sell me the T51 for cheap i love the way they sound.

hmmm Not sure if i would say the VG30 is superior to the VQ when it comes to boost anymore. they are doing some INCREDIBLE things with the VQ35 now. seriously one of the best import engines to come out in a long time.
    Fact.

Fact.
    So is the VG though and is also a PROVEN champion motor. A lot of people like to down play the vg30dett and that's fine by me, I can get them cheap then. The vg30dett has championships under its belt which is a fact and another fact is that with $1500 worth in parts I can have a built motor that can easily handle 500hp+ day in and day out. VQ is a good engine but not worth putting into a twin turbo Z chassis, when you have a VG that will slide right in that can handle more power stock and is less expensive to build.
    Last edited by gottwins?; 11-09-2009 at 04:53 PM.

I would think that the VQ engine being on Wards top 10 best engine in the world list since it's inception (except last year for some reason) qualifies it as being "PROVEN".

It's newer and weighs about 200lbs less too. Stock vs stock the VQ puts out approx the same HP in NA form then the VG puts out in FI form. I read a statment from Nissan a while back that said that they can tune the VQ from the factory to produce over 500hp.

Other then it being more expensive to add FI and performance parts being a little more expensive, the VQ is superior IMO. But if it's going in a Z32 then the VG is the obvious choice because of the ease of the project.

I always wanted a VQ powered 240 but no one has really perfected the whole wiring issues.

I would think that the VQ engine being on Wards top 10 best engine in the world list since it's inception (except last year for some reason) qualifies it as being "PROVEN".

It's newer and weighs about 200lbs less too. Stock vs stock the VQ puts out approx the same HP in NA form then the VG puts out in FI form. I read a statment from Nissan a while back that said that they can tune the VQ from the factory to produce over 500hp.

Other then it being more expensive to add FI and performance parts being a little more expensive, the VQ is superior IMO. But if it's going in a Z32 then the VG is the obvious choice because of the ease of the project.

I always wanted a VQ powered 240 but no one has really perfected the whole wiring issues.
    but if someone perfected it, where would the fun in the project be? if it was just a bolt in and go, it seems like it would be a pretty boring project.

Quote Originally Posted by lasttimearound View Post
    but if someone perfected it, where would the fun in the project be? if it was just a bolt in and go, it seems like it would be a pretty boring project.
    Honestly I know jack shit about electrical so I'd be effed in the ass.
    Last edited by Exitspeed; 11-10-2009 at 02:06 PM.

ha, goodone. im never home, why rent? being a student, and full time worker sucks melborne. whats a better way to learn electrical than the practice? god created wiring diagrams for a reason. you'll be fine. now do it!