Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The RB hookup?

The RB hookup?

Alright here is the deal, I have budgeted myself and have $2400 to spend on an RB26, the requirements: it needs is to have a full wiring harness, ecu, and for it to be shipped at that price. If you know of one with a lower price tag I will kick in a few bucks your way for the deal finding skillz. Transmission is a plus but I can deal with that separately. Any help would be appreciated for anyone with JDM hookups!!
    Last edited by gottwins?; 10-29-2009 at 02:33 PM.

Race Transmission Rebuilder twicks69's Avatar
    PM Murray == whatsadsm

He may be able to help!
    Tim Zimmer
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.49@148mph, street trim.
    ----------------------------
    2005 Subaru Outback Limited
    -- Winter Beater --

Quote Originally Posted by twicks69 View Post
    PM Murray == whatsadsm

He may be able to help!

Murray (whatsadsm), Nismodave or maybe even flicktitty would know who to talk to.

good luck trying to find a complete 26 for $2400. If anything...Try going on Zilvia.net there are a few importers on there that offer deals, but that's cheap...cheaper then i've seen for a full 26.

Quote Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
    good luck trying to find a complete 26 for $2400. If anything...Try going on Zilvia.net there are a few importers on there that offer deals, but that's cheap...cheaper then i've seen for a full 26.
    Thanks, Ill try zilvia.net, Ive got a friend in California that can hook me up with one for $2000 but hes in Florida for another month and I am pretty impatient lol

I know a lot of people on zilvia that I can check with. Not sure you'll find one at that price but I can ask. I'm gonna check with one guy in particular first. He was importing Nissan engines before people knew you could even import engines. I got a friend of mine a deal through him and he delivered one of the cleanest SR's I've ever seen.

I just sent him a PM.
    Last edited by Exitspeed; 10-30-2009 at 09:40 AM.

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    What is this going in?

IMO if your budget is $2400 you are looking at the wrong motor. If you want a basic swap done right in a 240sx the cost is around 8k for the DIYer. A 300z is probably similar but maybe a little cheaper because you can reuse the z32 trans.

You can find very questionable R32 motor sets for around 3200 on ebay but that is a shot in the dark.. and there are a lot of horror stories out there about them. Most TRUSTWORTHY decent motor sets will be around 4k from a reputable place.

Motor set 4k
    RWD RB25 trans ~1k (you can play games though with a z31/z32 trans an rb26 bellhousing but shifter position will suffer)
    Stuff to freshen up (timing belt, tensioner, pumps, hoses, etc): 500+
    Mount kit: I forget I think they are around 350 or so
    Custom drive shaft: 300-400
    RB25 oil pan, or modifying 26 pan for RWD: 100?
    Slim fans: 100-200
    Custom IC & piping: 400-800
    Custom exhaust (at least downpipe) to clear everything: 500-800
    Fuel pump: $100
    Wiring: Free if you DIY otherwise probably 400 or so.

Then you get into the question of the crank collar... especially with the lower cost R32 RB26. The early 26s are known to hurt the oil pump under decent power and high revs, and the R33+ motors fixed this with a larger diameter collar on the end of the cranks. There are also aftermarket parts for the R32 which I think are like 100 or less but then you need the crank out so you can bring it to a machine shop.

So in reality with that budget the RB26 just isnt a good option. I actually think you would have better luck with a 2jz or even a 1jz. It is easier to find a good motor set for cheaper, it is a little more stout from the factory and at the end of the day probably requires about the same amount of modification. And even the 2jz which I'd bet is cheaper to do, is still quite a bit more than 2400.

You will definately have better luck finding a SR20 for that amount of money, and if it is going into a 240sx it is a lot easier and cheaper for everything else.

Otherwise, if the price is right I know of a beautiful, highly modified, singled, ready for show/street/drag/road coarse RB26 98 240sx
    Last edited by WhatsADSM; 10-30-2009 at 10:32 AM.

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    P.S. IMO the best (US) place for all your RB questions is:
    http://forums.nicoclub.com/zeroforum?id=135

But I will say people there are very opinionated and will probably flame you pretty hard if you ask where to pick up an RB26 for 2400, so make sure you have some thick skin.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
    What is this going in?

IMO if your budget is $2400 you are looking at the wrong motor. If you want a basic swap done right in a 240sx the cost is around 8k for the DIYer. A 300z is probably similar but maybe a little cheaper because you can reuse the z32 trans.

You can find very questionable R32 motor sets for around 3200 on ebay but that is a shot in the dark.. and there are a lot of horror stories out there about them. Most TRUSTWORTHY decent motor sets will be around 4k from a reputable place.

Motor set 4k
    RWD RB25 trans ~1k (you can play games though with a z31/z32 trans an rb26 bellhousing but shifter position will suffer)
    Stuff to freshen up (timing belt, tensioner, pumps, hoses, etc): 500+
    Mount kit: I forget I think they are around 350 or so
    Custom drive shaft: 300-400
    RB25 oil pan, or modifying 26 pan for RWD: 100?
    Slim fans: 100-200
    Custom IC & piping: 400-800
    Custom exhaust (at least downpipe) to clear everything: 500-800
    Fuel pump: $100
    Wiring: Free if you DIY otherwise probably 400 or so.

Then you get into the question of the crank collar... especially with the lower cost R32 RB26. The early 26s are known to hurt the oil pump under decent power and high revs, and the R33+ motors fixed this with a larger diameter collar on the end of the cranks. There are also aftermarket parts for the R32 which I think are like 100 or less but then you need the crank out so you can bring it to a machine shop.

So in reality with that budget the RB26 just isnt a good option. I actually think you would have better luck with a 2jz or even a 1jz. It is easier to find a good motor set for cheaper, it is a little more stout from the factory and at the end of the day probably requires about the same amount of modification. And even the 2jz which I'd bet is cheaper to do, is still quite a bit more than 2400.

You will definately have better luck finding a SR20 for that amount of money, and if it is going into a 240sx it is a lot easier and cheaper for everything else.

Otherwise, if the price is right I know of a beautiful, highly modified, singled, ready for show/street/drag/road coarse RB26 98 240sx
    I do agree with all of this also.

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Oh yea one more comment. RB26 is better than an RB25, however it is MOSTLY the "made tyte JDM Godzilla" hype than anything. I would feel MUCH MUCH MUCH more comfortable with you trying to get an RB25 instead of the 26. The motor itself is down only a .1l, and while it may not flow exactly like a 26, there are many reasons an RB25 is a better choice esspecially at your price point:

1) it is newer and typically in better condition
    2) It is much cheaper for the motor set
    3) Motor set comes with the transmission you want already (again much less $$)
    4) At the end of the day it can make almost as much power as the 26.
    5) Even stock they are very stout, again only a little less stout than the 26. Many people have put down 500+ reliably. IIRC someone recently did 600 something on a stock bottom end, although I think you are playing with fire there.

And even the 2jz which I'd bet is cheaper to do, is still quite a bit more than 2400.

From what i remember i think that's what liz paid for her motor/trans and Harness through FNF motors. and that was shipped. They were DECENT. motor was in good shaped. fired at the first crank. haven't had any problems with the motor since we got it. the trans is on it's way out. so i'm not sure if that was out fault,the importers fault that the trans isn't good, or the shop we took the car too cause after it was at the shop it wasen't as good as it was before.

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by Flicktitty View Post
    From what i remember i think that's what liz paid for her motor/trans and Harness through FNF motors. and that was shipped. They were DECENT. motor was in good shaped. fired at the first crank. haven't had any problems with the motor since we got it. the trans is on it's way out. so i'm not sure if that was out fault,the importers fault that the trans isn't good, or the shop we took the car too cause after it was at the shop it wasen't as good as it was before.
    With an auto trans

Yeah he said there's no way for that price. Even before shipping which is expensive for that motor. You're looking more like $4k before shipping.

He said he can get you some other motorsets for that much.

In fact my buddy might still have an SR from this guy.

EDIT: He said he could get you an RB25 for that price but shipping would be another $500.
    Last edited by Exitspeed; 10-30-2009 at 11:32 AM.

You guys are getting it all wrong, my budget for the motor is $2600, ive got a couple more grand stashed away for the actual project...I have already done the extensive research on parts, modification ect. Im not THAT much of a noob to it, I like to study things before I get into them ;-). The average price for the RB26 is around $3,000 with everything including the AWD tranny. I was just wondering if someone had a hook up to get one cheaper...ive read so many stories about people picking up RB26's for cheap that they found, was just wondering if I could have the same luck :-(.

As for the 240 idea, with all do respect AND I mean WITH ALL DO RESPECT (lol will ferrel) that would be a down grade for me (not yours specifically), 240's are just not my thing.
    Last edited by gottwins?; 10-30-2009 at 12:20 PM.

Oh yea one more comment. RB26 is better than an RB25, however it is MOSTLY the "made tyte JDM Godzilla" hype than anything. I would feel MUCH MUCH MUCH more comfortable with you trying to get an RB25 instead of the 26. The motor itself is down only a .1l, and while it may not flow exactly like a 26, there are many reasons an RB25 is a better choice esspecially at your price point:

1) it is newer and typically in better condition
    2) It is much cheaper for the motor set
    3) Motor set comes with the transmission you want already (again much less $$)
    4) At the end of the day it can make almost as much power as the 26.
    5) Even stock they are very stout, again only a little less stout than the 26. Many people have put down 500+ reliably. IIRC someone recently did 600 something on a stock bottom end, although I think you are playing with fire there.
    Yeah I know im fighting myself on this one...so your telling me the RB25 can handle almost just as much power as the 26? As in buy the RB25, slap a decent turbo on it and your good? My friend whos is going to modify my cross member keeps telling me what your saying......hmmmm
    Last edited by gottwins?; 10-30-2009 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Exitspeed View Post
    Yeah he said there's no way for that price. Even before shipping which is expensive for that motor. You're looking more like $4k before shipping.

He said he can get you some other motorsets for that much.

In fact my buddy might still have an SR from this guy.

EDIT: He said he could get you an RB25 for that price but shipping would be another $500.
    HOLY SHIT haha that guy is TAXING. I can get an RB25 with everything for $1500 lol I can get an HKS rb26 for $500 more. Thanks for checking though , appreciate it.
    Last edited by gottwins?; 10-30-2009 at 12:24 PM.

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by gottwins? View Post
    You guys are getting it all wrong, my budget for the motor is $2600, ive got a couple more grand stashed away for the actual project...I have already done the extensive research on parts, modification ect. Im not THAT much of a noob to it, I like to study things before I get into them ;-). The average price for the RB26 is around $3,000 with everything including the AWD tranny. I was just wondering if someone had a hook up to get one cheaper...ive read so many stories about people picking up RB26's for cheap that they found, was just wondering if I could have the same luck :-(.

As for the 240 idea, with all do respect AND I mean WITH ALL DO RESPECT (lol will ferrel) that would be a down grade for me (not yours specifically), 240's are just not my thing.
    Yeah I know im fighting myself on this one...so your telling me the RB25 can handle almost just as much power as the 26? As in buy the RB25, slap a decent turbo on it and your good? My friend whos is going to modify my cross member keeps telling me what your saying......hmmmm

Ahh okay... as long as you got a bunch more saved up for the swap itself. I always get a lot of people saying oh yea I am going to swap my 240 with a RB26, I saw one on ebay for 3200, that includes everything... and so I always have to explain how in general to "do it right" will cost around 8k if you are watching it and doing a lot of work yourself.

I still think 3200 (let alone 2400) is too cheap for an RB26. Basically all of the reputable places are right around 4k, but then you actually know the motor will be good. Most of the cheap places will offer a "warranty" on their motor but it is many times hard to get them to honor it, they won't honor anything but the longblock, and if the motor is tired but still runs well they don't cover that either because it is just a startup warranty. You are correct in saying sometimes people have had amazing luck buying a nice JDM set for really cheap. However for every story about someone picking up a clean solid cheap motor, there are 5 stories about someone getting screwed by trying to save some cash on the motorset. But yea if money is really a big issue you can always play roulette and hope for the best.

As for the RB25 thing. Yea I mean honestly it has FAR more bang for the buck than the 26... the biggest thing it is lacking is the hype. If you have a well tuned 25 I'm sure it will take 500. And you already get a motor setup for RWD, as well as the trans that everyone wants. And actually if you plan to single it, then yea it will be a lot cheaper to do with the 25. IIRC it already has a single manifold with a t3 flange on it so you could find a internally gated T3/T4, throw it on and get some pretty good numbers out of it honestly. My only other gripe about the RB25 is the lack of native Nistune (IMO best tuning Nissan solution) support. Although many use Nistune by repinning their harness for a Z32 ECU and just running the Z32 ECU+Nistune. The RB26 is definately a better motor, however the RB25 kills it in bang for the buck, so if you find yourself lacking a little bit of funds at the end of the day the RB25 would be a great route to take.

And yea no offense taken about the 240, I just assumed it was a 240. It would actually be pretty cool to see an RB in something else. Is it fair to assume it is a Z32? I know Andy (his screen name is booztd or something like that) has a pretty cool RB26 Z32.

HOLY SHIT haha that guy is TAXING. I can get an RB25 with everything for $1500 lol I can get an HKS rb26 for $500 more. Thanks for checking though , appreciate it.
    I still think 3200 (let alone 2400) is too cheap for an RB26. Basically all of the reputable places are right around 4k, but then you actually know the motor will be good.
    Yep. What he ^ said. It might not be the cheapest but he's gonna sell you a quality motor. I'd personally rather pay the extra "tax" and know I'm getting good stuff. This dude started modding and swapping engines when the 510 CAME OUT. He knows good shit and has been a respected person in the Nissan scene for DECADES. If you would have seen the SR I'm talking about you'd understand. The thing looked like it came from Nissan it was so clean. Sure you can pick up engines for cheap, but that's why there are so many horror stories out there. You get what you pay for. I'm sure you're aware of that.

No problem on checking though.

Well considering the information/advice given to me from whatsadsm, and the fact that I just went into my "budget" and bought 3 more Z's (maybe a 4th if someone can buy my damn Wii so I can pay in full!!!) I think I will go with the RB25 set up and shoot for the 450hp+ mark.

Thanks for the help and advice, I know who to go to now with some deep RB analysis, thanks guys.

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Well considering the information/advice given to me from whatsadsm, and the fact that I just went into my "budget" and bought 3 more Z's (maybe a 4th if someone can buy my damn Wii so I can pay in full!!!) I think I will go with the RB25 set up and shoot for the 450hp+ mark.

Thanks for the help and advice, I know who to go to now with some deep RB analysis, thanks guys.
    Awesome! Yea, in terms of bang for the buck you can't go wrong with the 25. Plus you gotta love the inline 6 sound, nothin else compares

Oh yea and also, someone just posted this recently. BONE STOCK longblock RB25 did some DEEP 9s in a 240z :
    http://forums.hybridz.org/showthread.php?t=155627