Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to BCM

New to BCM

Hello just wanted to say hi and ask a question? I drive a '09 Chevy Cobalt SS and I was wondering if there is anyone in the Milwaukee area that knows how to tune one these with hp tuners? -Todd

Welcome Todd! Post some pics of the ride. Are you trying to tune it yourself or get it tuned? Not sure if the resident tuner works on the Cobalts but maybe he'll post up. Welcome again!
    I offer online scheduling using BookFresh

Welcome to the board Todd.

Looking to get tuned, will post pic's tomorrow. -Todd

Welcome Todd, looking forward to seeing pics of your car.
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ndegroot2
    Twitter: http://http://twitter.com/deggyfresh
    PS3 name: deggyfresh

98 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x2 - Still ready for some snow drags.

Ol' School
    welcome!

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

These are the only two pic's I've got here's a little more about the car:
    These are factory #'s haven't had it dyno'ed yet, Curb Weight (lbs) 2926, Horsepower 260 @ 5300rpm, Torque (lb-ft)260 @ 2000rpm I seen some guys on other forums get 300+ hp and 320+ tq at the wheels with just a tune, this is where I'd like to get. Torque steer is already pretty noticable stock can't wait to see what it's going to be like once its tuned. -Todd

Well if you figure 230 ish fwhp stock, you're claiming 70+ fwhp gain from just a "tune." I know it's a turbo but I find that a little hard to believe. Unless by tune you mean intake/exhaust (especially DP) and an aggressive tune on top of that.
    Daily Driver: 2009 Camry
    Weekend Car: 2006 Corvette

I know shit about Cobalts, but I assume by "tune" they are not only doing what most of us would consider a tune, but upping the boost a bunch, so maybe its possible.

For example, my Caliber I know was neutered from the factory but comes with a decent size turbo. Factory limits it to about 5 psi in 1st, 7 psi in 2nd, and 10-11 psi in 3rd+. I think rated at 285 HP factory. No neat HP tuners for me, but the factory "stage 1" ECU or in this case "tune" raises the boost to 15 psi and it goes to 325 HP. So thats about 40 HP from 4-5 psi increased boost...
    96 Viper GTS Underground Racing Twin 78mm Precision turbos, Proline 510 stroker-1483RWHP
    73 Challenger Bickel Chassis, Indy 572 HEMI-860HP
    67 Plymouth Fury Police Pursuit, Indy 505-600HP
    94 Stealth RT/TT built 6G72, 13G, FMIC
    75 Trailduster 440 Convertible
    92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!

From what i've read a down pipe helps a lot and I would guess that most of the dyno's #'s i've seen on the net were from cars that were modded. GM finally came out with the stage 1 kit last week and a guy dyno'd 286whp/325wtq which I'm sure leaves a lot on the table because it doesn't void the warranty. I've seen a couple of guys with intakes/downpipes/bigger intercoolers and such in the 350 hp 375 tq range but also know every dyno is different and such. But since this is my daily driver I don't want to go that balls to the wall I'd be more than happy with close to 300 hp/ 300+ tq.

Quote Originally Posted by Moparjim View Post
    I know shit about Cobalts, but I assume by "tune" they are not only doing what most of us would consider a tune, but upping the boost a bunch, so maybe its possible.

For example, my Caliber I know was neutered from the factory but comes with a decent size turbo. Factory limits it to about 5 psi in 1st, 7 psi in 2nd, and 10-11 psi in 3rd+. I think rated at 285 HP factory. No neat HP tuners for me, but the factory "stage 1" ECU or in this case "tune" raises the boost to 15 psi and it goes to 325 HP. So thats about 40 HP from 4-5 psi increased boost...

Yes stock boost in mine is 13-15 psi there running around 22 psi some even more tuned.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Welcome to the board...nice looking cobalt.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Yep, it shoots fireballs!!! stealthy1ss's Avatar

Nice car and welcome! For tuning you have a few options. As Yoo said there is a tuner on this site that could probably tune you with HPT. If you feel like traveling you could go down to Illinios and have Hahn Racecraft tune your car. Hahn also has a good selection of quality aftermarket parts for your car. The other route that you could go is to get tune from Trifecta which is a mail order tune where you take logs of your car and send it back to Trifecta until you get the tune setup the way that you like it. There are quiet a few people that are running a Trifecta tune called infiniboost. Basically what it is is when you are in Comp. mode the car will boost to 30psi but when your out of Comp mode it is backed down to 21.5. I have heard good and bad about the tune but from what I can tell if you use the Comp. mode a lot I dont think the little K04 turbo will like being pushed to 30psi a lot. If you need any help or info I can try to help you out just let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by todd4417 View Post
    Yes stock boost in mine is 13-15 psi there running around 22 psi some even more tuned.
    The reason why you see your car boosting different levels is because the pcm is set so that reguardless of the conditions the car will make 260ft/lbs of torque. So for example you put on an intake, exhaust, intercooler, etc.... the car will only make 260ft/lbs until you get tuned.

Post whore
    Welcome to BCM
    1999 Pontiac Trans am

"there is a tuner on this site that could probably tune you with HPT"
    Who who this be? BAD LS1?

Quote Originally Posted by todd4417 View Post
    "there is a tuner on this site that could probably tune you with HPT"
    Who who this be? BAD LS1?
    you are correct sir. Welcome to the site.
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

Nice car. Welcome to Brew City Muscle!!

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    cool ride man

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

\/ What amazing looks like \/
    bad ls1 ftw!

Post whore
    Quote Originally Posted by stealthy1ss View Post
    There are quiet a few people that are running a Trifecta tune called infiniboost. Basically what it is is when you are in Comp. mode the car will boost to 30psi but when your out of Comp mode it is backed down to 21.5. I have heard good and bad about the tune but from what I can tell if you use the Comp. mode a lot I dont think the little K04 turbo will like being pushed to 30psi a lot. If you need any help or info I can try to help you out just let me know.
    30psi on the stock turbo on 93 octane? I will call BS on that. Not sure how large the stock turbo is but i can tell you it is WAY out of it's usefull efficiency range by then. On E-85 or racegas it may be possible but not on pump gas.

Nice car BTW!
    2005 DSOM Corvette, Z51, M6, Z06 Mufflers