Heater core problems?

I'm assuming so, I tried flushing it on Lisa's 95 S10 Blazer last year and had some heat, but very little. This year is no better, and since flushing it didn't work is there anything else I can do besides replace it? The entire dash has to come out to get at the heater core, so I would like to avoid that if I can.
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

Insert import comments here :-P

How does that thing mix cool/hot air? Simple cable/knob, electrical, vacuum? Maybe it's something like that

Yep, it shoots fireballs!!! stealthy1ss's Avatar

I had to put a heater core in my 94 last year. It is a total pain in the ass but I had to do it because my windows were fogging up and it left a film on the windows from the coolant I suppose. I would just replace it because it is just going to get worse.

The switch is fine, the air just doesn't get hot. The line going into the core support is hot, the one coming out is just warm.

Anything with 160k miles is going to have problems, import or domestic.

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

It is very common on these trucks. I believe ther is a procedure to flush it with some sort of acid. I don't have acces to service bullitins anymore and I don't recall the exact procedure. Normally you can get it to flush out with a garden hose.

I'll replace it for $650 parts and labor
    GM World Class Certified Technician

I can replace it myself, I just don't want to. 650 is way to much money, the truck is hardly worth 1500 bucks.

Considering it's near $200 for parts, and book time on alldata is about 9 hours, I thought $650 was pretty cheap.
    GM World Class Certified Technician

Thumbs up

Had the same thing happen on my 2000 S10. I took the lines off of the heater core. Held a garden hose onto the outlet (to send water through it backwards). Turned on the hose and held it tight against the core tube so the water only had one place to go. A few seconds alter, a big blob of dexcool slime came shooting out of the inlet. I let it run for a while until the water ran clear.

Did the same with the rest of the system - radiator, overflow tank, etc. Flushed it all with water untl it ran clear. Then filled it all back up with water and a can lf cleaner. Ran for 15 miles without a t-stat. Emptied the whole thign again, and put the stat and new Prestone back in. I had more heat than I knew what to do with.

Takes some time and is messy, but a lot easier and cheaper than a new core.

Good luck!
    Scott Braemer
    2000 NHRA Edition Trans Am
    2006 TrailBlazer SS
    2008 GMC Sierra Denali

Quote Originally Posted by brotherbenn83 View Post
    Considering it's near $200 for parts, and book time on alldata is about 9 hours, I thought $650 was pretty cheap.
    It doesn't take 9 hours, I've done it before. Thanks anyways.

I've flushed it both ways, there is a ton of resistance and it just wont break. I'm likely going to have to replace it.