2006 roadking custom. KF 9000 Champion 0TransAm0's Avatar

odd problem. 2003 Z-71 pick up

OK here is the deal. its an 03 Z-71 with the V8
    problem is that it won't start some times. the starter will just click.
    and then you try it again and it turns over but not enough to start the truck. wait a couple of minutes and it gets a little better and so on.. eventually it will start.

the windows stop working,the clock resets.. so its loosing all power. the battery is good and the alternator works fine..

it only happens every now and then. I'm thinking loose ground or starter going bad.. any idea's??

thank you
    Mike

Same thing happened to my cousin. Replaced the + cable and that solved it... Hopefully it's that simple for you.

this same bullshit happened to me once. I needed a cop to jump start us and even then it took like 10 minutes of trying before we could get it to start. I had the alt, wires, starter and battery checked and all were fine. I havent had the problem again though.
    I offer online scheduling using BookFresh

ok it happend again today.. the starter just clicked and it wouldn't start..
    BUT this time he pumped the gas peddle a couple times and it started right up...

still haven't replaced anything..

Quote Originally Posted by 0TransAm0 View Post
    ok it happend again today.. the starter just clicked and it wouldn't start..
    BUT this time he pumped the gas peddle a couple times and it started right up...

still haven't replaced anything..
    Ok, it clicks but the engine is not spinning over, this correct? Because the pumping the pedal thing was just coincidence then. IF the engine was spinning over and wouldn't start and then you hit the gas and it started, then you probably have a leaky fuel pressure regulator.

Otherwise if it is just a click no crank, then I'd check the pos. cable at the battery for corrosion, if there is a lot of white powdery acid then put a new battery in it and clean, (scrape) off the cable end and reassemble.
    The acid powder comes from battery acid leaking out of pos. post of the battery.

OR if it clicks and no crank can you repeatedly hit start and it clicks then cranks over and runs, then it needs a starter.

that 'bout covers it

Second Amendment = Reset button for the Constitution.
    17 Yr. GM Master Technician, (Ret.)
    Type 01-Federal Firearms License Holder
    Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Contact me with your firearm needs
    '02 FLHTCUI- 95"- 106HP

^^^^ what everyone else said. Yeah high resistance on the pos or neg side. Id love to experiment with a voltage drop test on something that does this sometime, its so bad it cuts power to the fuse block lol. You can also touch the pos or neg cable after holding the key for a few sec, the one with the issue will get really hot.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

coop. yes it clicks but the motor will not turn over.. wait a little bit and it slowly turns over wait a little longer and it starts...

just a couple time hit the gas after it clicks the first time and it starts right up.. battery cables are clean. no corrosion..

Quote Originally Posted by 0TransAm0 View Post
    coop. yes it clicks but the motor will not turn over.. wait a little bit and it slowly turns over wait a little longer and it starts...

just a couple time hit the gas after it clicks the first time and it starts right up.. battery cables are clean. no corrosion..

Coincidence... A high resistance is somewhere between the starter and battery Pos terminal, or between the block and the ground terminal... Or the battery is shit, has it been loaded tested to verify it is indeed working correctly? Being an 03 its drive by wire and that will have no bearing really on if the engine magically cranks over fast enough to start. Diving in further, check the PCM ground on the back of the DS head... That would also cause funky stuff to happen if that was an issue. Really a voltage drop test is the only way to accurately verify how well these noted circuits are allowing current flow or opposing it.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.