Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Truck won't start...

I have a 96 ford ranger 4-cylinder. I've been messing around with it trying to get it to fire, but i'm stumped. The alternator took a shit, so I replaced the alternator, bought a new batter, serpentine belt, and even battery terminal clamps!

Now its turning over like the motor is seized up. It turns over like the battery is dead, but its not that.

So i thought maybe one of the accessories that runs off the serpintine belt was locked up, so i took off the belt and tried turning it over, and it struggles to turn over.

I'm starting to think that this trucks last leg finally gave out. What do you guys think?

Play PS3 with ME!
    Hooray for tuning!

First are you getting spark If so are you getting fuel? Start there. How many miles? .... Could be anything. Timing Belt ?

Getting spark. Getting fuel. Timing belt is practically new. New starter, new alternator, new battery. I checked all the grounds. Whats wierd is that I can turn the crank pulley on it, so that means that the motor isn't seized. Also, i can push it down my driveway and pop start it.

It can't be the starter because I litteraly just put a new one in. For some reason its turning over very very hard and slow...

Play PS3 with ME!
    Hooray for tuning!

95k miles...i'm stumped...

Play PS3 with ME!
    Hooray for tuning!

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    just because its a new starter doesnt mean it a good starter. Where did you get it from?
    1969 Torino

NEW BEST TIME
    12.8@105...if only my convertor wasnt a slipping pile of ^$(@

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    make sure you check all your grounds for that system,a bad ground equals high resistance and a slow crank,the starter could be junk also.

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

I take it is a manual trans....? Is it possible the problem is in the hydraulic clutch? Where the clutch isn't releasing when you are trying to start it, does the truck start ok when in Neutral? If it does, then I am thinking there is a leak in the hyd clutch system or air in it.

Also, on the checking all the cables thing.... I had one the other day that had an almost broken off terminal on the + batt cable, starter end.
    Last edited by Coops Brother; 10-11-2009 at 12:10 AM.

Second Amendment = Reset button for the Constitution.
    17 Yr. GM Master Technician, (Ret.)
    Type 01-Federal Firearms License Holder
    Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Contact me with your firearm needs
    '02 FLHTCUI- 95"- 106HP

Ok i know this is a bit off topic, and i know my signature pic is way to large, but i gatta know...

Who is that chick puttin on pants in your signature gif. ?

if thats your girl your a lucky man

oh also check the battery terminal clamps.

sounds dumb, but sometimes they get messed up and less conductive/weak and dont pass enough juice along.

Starter i bought from autozone.

I checked all the grounds that i could find. Cleaned them up.

clutch wise, idk, because the truck starts when I pop start it. if the clutch wasn't fully engaging, then it wouldn't turnover at all correct?

Battery terminal clamps are brand new. I bought them when i replaced the battery. I thought it was the battery clamps at first, maybe not getting the right connection where the wires clamp in, but those are fine....

The chick in the sig is not my gf, but i sure as hell wish she was

Play PS3 with ME!
    Hooray for tuning!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo-Triumph View Post
    Ok i know this is a bit off topic, and i know my signature pic is way to large, but i gatta know...

Who is that chick puttin on pants in your signature gif. ?

if thats your girl your a lucky man
    Everyone knows your one hand surfing right now...

On topic:

How's your engine wiring harness? Maybe you have a sort some where and no power to the PCM or timing sensors (crank or cam).
    Last edited by OxmanWI; 10-12-2009 at 03:10 PM.
    -Josh

Tork Tech Thunderbird

God Bless the men & women who have served and serving to keep us free

sounds like somethin stupid to me... i mean if it runs when you pop start it, somethings just not giving the starter enough juice.

OR, you bought a faulty starter.

my dad was helpin this guy put a starter in a firebird one time, 3-4 hrs later, they realized (after shimming it 600 different ways) the starter was faulty, and got it replaced.

if i remembor correctly, the starter just "clicked", though.

are you handy with a multimeter / amp meter?

Check the starter (see if it is junk, hitting the flywheel propperly), the connections to the starter, as well as the connection from the battery cables to the terminal clamps.........if it was anything else, you wouldnt be able to clutch start it.
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

Quote Originally Posted by Coops Brother View Post
    I take it is a manual trans....? Is it possible the problem is in the hydraulic clutch? Where the clutch isn't releasing when you are trying to start it, does the truck start ok when in Neutral? If it does, then I am thinking there is a leak in the hyd clutch system or air in it.

Also, on the checking all the cables thing.... I had one the other day that had an almost broken off terminal on the + batt cable, starter end.
    Doubt it, the clutch is not needed to start a vehicle, you only need to push in the clutch because of the neutral clutch saftey switch. disable it and you can start the truck all day like a automatic.....however it COULD be the neutral clutch saftey switch
    Last edited by Waver; 10-12-2009 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutwaver View Post
    Doubt it, the clutch is not needed to start a vehicle, you only need to push in the clutch because of the neutral clutch saftey switch. disable it and you can start the truck all day like a automatic.....however it COULD be the neutral clutch saftey switch
    dummy,he said releasing the clutch all the way. read then post.

I found the problem!!

It was a rusted out ground towards the back of the motor I'm suprised i found it because it was hidden like a mofo. Truck runs great now. And i have a ton of new(er) parts on it now, so hopefully i should get another year or two out of my 250 winterbeater lol....that i bought 4 years ago....

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it.

Play PS3 with ME!
    Hooray for tuning!

Your welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend Cooper View Post
    make sure you check all your grounds for that system,a bad ground equals high resistance and a slow crank,the starter could be junk also.
    Good call, brother.

Second Amendment = Reset button for the Constitution.
    17 Yr. GM Master Technician, (Ret.)
    Type 01-Federal Firearms License Holder
    Class 3 NFA Dealer
    Contact me with your firearm needs
    '02 FLHTCUI- 95"- 106HP

dummy,he said releasing the clutch all the way. read then post.
    No dumy, he dosnt say that anywhere in his post when you release, YOU REREAD THE POST. I own a 97 with a manual dummy, I think I would know how the damn thing starts.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutwaver View Post
    if the saftey switch was faulty, it wouldnt even attempt to crank.

reverend cooper ftw!