Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I actually just found out about the 05+ Subaru Legacy GT. 250 hp, AWD, heated leather. Sounds like a damn nice car. Didn't someone on here use to have one?
    Daily Driver: 2009 Camry
    Weekend Car: 2006 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by SSLEVO View Post
    Haha, can you go 11's on the stock turbo? How about 10's?

I'm not starting a pissing match but i do think the evo will go faster for less. My car made 347 whp 370ft-lbs on the stock turbo, cams and intercooler. lets see your subi do that
    Well good for you. Stage two STI (intake turbo back exhaust and a tune) gains 60-75whp and 100-110 wtq over stock. huh thats a big increase considering the biggest mod would be exhaust and a few more pounds of boost. both cars are two close to compare.

formerly known as Madison Dave Cleveland Dave's Avatar
    how about an 01 Audi S4....ive been looking at a few for 10-14k?

Post whore
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison Dave View Post
    how about an 01 Audi S4....ive been looking at a few for 10-14k?
    I've always thought those were neat cars. I haven't heard good things about their reliability though, at least with the 2.7L Bi-turbo. I'm sure there are forums out there that can tell you what to look for though.
    2005 DSOM Corvette, Z51, M6, Z06 Mufflers

My friend has an S4 that's in that generation. Decently fast, comfortable, kinda pricey though for repair bills and mods.

Or, as I posted, look at a Caliber SRT4. Same GEMA motor as the EVO X, Getrag 6 speed, no AWD but very decent suspension and brake package, rim and tire package, and most importantly probably ONE HALF TO ONE THIRD the price...

I got mine brand new for less than a used EVO or STI. For that kind of performance to cheapness ratio, I can live with the cheap assed plastic Dodge interior.
    96 Viper GTS Underground Racing Twin 78mm Precision turbos, Proline 510 stroker-1483RWHP
    73 Challenger Bickel Chassis, Indy 572 HEMI-860HP
    67 Plymouth Fury Police Pursuit, Indy 505-600HP
    94 Stealth RT/TT built 6G72, 13G, FMIC
    75 Trailduster 440 Convertible
    92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by Moparjim View Post
    Or, as I posted, look at a Caliber SRT4. Same GEMA motor as the EVO X, Getrag 6 speed, no AWD but very decent suspension and brake package, rim and tire package, and most importantly probably ONE HALF TO ONE THIRD the price...

I got mine brand new for less than a used EVO or STI. For that kind of performance to cheapness ratio, I can live with the cheap assed plastic Dodge interior.
    I'm still jealous of the price you paid for that thing. I would LOVE to rock a CSRT-4 right now as a daily. Good on gas, fun, decently quick and can take almost any cargo I need... and the dog would LOVE it back there!

I so far have kept it dog-free lol. My dog (Siberian Husky with hyper-fur) has somehow caught wind of this plan though, and has "deployed fur" remotely somehow - the damn new car STILL has a bunch of Husky hair in it already, I assume tracked in via my clothes or something. It is frustrating, the stuff is pretty vaccuum resistant as well its a bitch to vaccuum up.
    96 Viper GTS Underground Racing Twin 78mm Precision turbos, Proline 510 stroker-1483RWHP
    92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!

speed six's are bad ass to. they are fullyloaded and alot more comfortable than the evo or sti.

92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!

damn, 285 hp?? you learn something new everyday! but I did a quick search around here and finding a caliber srt4 is pretty rare... prices for regular calibers are dirt cheap but where can I find a good selection of caliber srt4s?

.. if only they had a cailber srt4 with awd

Post whore
    Quote Originally Posted by VroomPshhTsi View Post
    damn, 285 hp?? you learn something new everyday! but I did a quick search around here and finding a caliber srt4 is pretty rare... prices for regular calibers are dirt cheap but where can I find a good selection of caliber srt4s?

.. if only they had a cailber srt4 with awd
    Thats what i'm saying, i'm sure they are nice cars but FWD+HP=FTL. My little civic si with 200 hp has no problem smoking them in 2nd or 3rd while turning, and that even has an LSD.

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by SSLEVO View Post
    Thats what i'm saying, i'm sure they are nice cars but FWD+HP=FTL. My little civic si with 200 hp has no problem smoking them in 2nd or 3rd while turning, and that even has an LSD.
    A) The second you get to a straight piece of road the CSRT-4 will catch whatever little distance you put on it, and come flying past.
    B) Crusing around if you want it to accelerate you don't have to rev the CSRT to the moon. Torque is nice.
    C) It is a MUCH more usable hatchback. More passenger space, more cargo space, 5-door hatch. The same shape that makes it not handle as well as the civic is also what makes it so nice as a daily driver.

But yea.. everyone was pretty bummed when DCX decided to make the new SRT-4 another FWD. There were LOTS of talks about it being AWD before it was released.

Post whore
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
    A) The second you get to a straight piece of road the CSRT-4 will catch whatever little distance you put on it, and come flying past.
    B) Crusing around if you want it to accelerate you don't have to rev the CSRT to the moon. Torque is nice.
    C) It is a MUCH more usable hatchback. More passenger space, more cargo space, 5-door hatch. The same shape that makes it not handle as well as the civic is also what makes it so nice as a daily driver.

But yea.. everyone was pretty bummed when DCX decided to make the new SRT-4 another FWD. There were LOTS of talks about it being AWD before it was released.
    Haha, i wasn't compairing it to a civic, i was saying it could spin the tires pretty easily. Any FWD car with a little power sucks IMO. Now add 100 more hp and you are going nowhere fast. I suppose its just fine for cruising around town and doing some onramp blasts. If you want to drag or auto x it's not going to be so good though.

How much are those things going for?
    Last edited by SSLEVO; 10-15-2009 at 10:47 AM.

Found some (very few though) within 300 miles of here for around $17k with decent miles (less than 30k). I am not going to drag or auto x it. Just a fun dd that will beat most cars and give faster ones a good run for the money. This will not by any means be a heavily modded/race car.

I'd much rather run a quarter mile that is .5 slower than some car if it means my car will start every time and not give me any big problems.

Csrt-4 ftw.
    Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/ndegroot2
    Twitter: http://http://twitter.com/deggyfresh
    PS3 name: deggyfresh

98 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4x2 - Still ready for some snow drags.

Chrysler Certified Technician Plum Crazy's Avatar
    Weather forecast for tonight: dark. Continued dark overnight, with widely scattered light by morning

I know im going to catch some flack for this, but 05-07 Cobalt SS supercharged cars are selling for cheap.

And also, the reasoning for the Csrt-4 not going AWD is the current PTU used in the R/T caliber cant take more than 215 hp. Plus making the car AWD would add another 2k to the sticker, pushing the car out of its target markets price range.
    Last edited by Plum Crazy; 10-15-2009 at 09:25 PM.
    2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic Plum Crazy Purple
    2003 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab Flame Red
    1967 AMC Ambassador Convertible

The FWD is about the only thing I dont like about it, but it is liveable. The boost is limited in 1st and 2nd so it doesn't spin a ton. It does break them loose but the car is at least going somewhere while they are spinning. It does have a ton of torque steer which I find hilariously amusing, it being 2008 and all... It has torque steer like its a 1985 Daytona lol.

Overall though the thing stops awesome, handles nice for what it is (about .9G on a skidpad) and is definitely fast enought to be fun to drive. I'm averaging like 28 MPG or so, it cracks 30 on the freeway about 25-26 in town. The SRT Kicker stereo system is super nice as well. As someone else said the hatch is really handy I haul my junk around for work it fits a good amount of stuff in the back with the seats down. I threw the stage 1 PCM in it for $350 it makes about 325 HP and it ups the boost from 5 or 7 psi in 1st and second and like 11 or so in 3rd and up to like 11 or so in 1st and second and 15-16 or so in 3rd and up. It also recalibrates the drive by wire for a HUGE improvement in throttle response. That add on alone has made it a real nice, probably mid 13 second car...

They can still be had for mid to high teens I would think if they can be located. I did even better with cash for clunkers and employee discount obviously but its a hell of a car for high teens as well. They sticker like low-mid twenties depending on options, and there should still be thousands of incentives, etc so I'm betting even a person off the street could still get one for high teens.

If anyone was seriously interested in one, it is possible I could line up an employee discount through someone at the engine plant still, just PM me.
    92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!

Everyone moans about fwd, but for the same price find a rwd chassis that doesn't peg-leg down the line, or spin out if you hammer it in a hairpin - and can still go fast. You either need rubber/suspension upgrades or an lsd. Given the fact that most awd cars out there will still push like hell (stock), or come with gumballs that can't touch rain, that shoots down another argument.

The SRT-4's are probably the best performance for the dollar in new cars, but it still comes from one of the worst companies you can imagine - at least regarding documented failures per mile, not just some fanboy's opinion.

IMO all automakers have flaws at the moment (design, power, reliability, etc), you just have to pick which you can deal with. In this case, I'd probably recommend a Mazda - I know a few people with them (one with a GT35), and they really like them in every way imaginable.

It is hit or miss with any car company. It's just some have higher overall ratings than others. You can find a Cobalt that will go 150k+ without anything more than regular tune-ups and find a civic that breaks after 35k miles, it's just not the norm.

I went with my friend to test drive a Mazda Speed 6 (about 30k miles). The clutch went out half way through the test drive. Needless to say, he stopped looking at Speed 6s.