Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Dependable/Fun/Affordable Turbo Cars

What turbo cars are out there that are dependable, fun to drive, and not too expensive? Obviously I have already thought of ones like an Evo 8, STI, etc. but those are out of my price range. I don't want a dsm (pre-Evo ones). I'm looking for something in the year of 2002 or newer. Price range is under $14k and nothing with more than 60k miles. I'm not looking for something that is going to be heavily modded. Just intake/exhaust and maybe a couple more psi than stock.

The only ones I can think of are WRXs, VW Golf GTI, and SRT-4s.

I have been out of the turbo community for a while so I want to know what's available (and affordable) these days.
    Daily Driver: 2009 Camry
    Weekend Car: 2006 Corvette

srt-4

Mazdaspeed 6 - Turbo, AWD, 6 speed... Probably a lil bit north of your price range...
    ----------------------------------
    '11 Jetta TDI ...
    '07 Avalanche...
    '67 Firebird 400 4 speed... <-- Brew City Muscle
    '11 Honda CBR250 <--- 74 MPG!

BCM Cruiser
    Good thread. I'm interested in this too. I've been doing some research, but
    it's nice to have opinions from people who have experience with them.

Quote Originally Posted by tbarsch View Post
    Mazdaspeed 6 - Turbo, AWD, 6 speed... Probably a lil bit north of your price range...
    I've looked looked at couple of MS6's. They seem pretty cool. It, and the
    Legacy GT, are things I'm also considering.
    '14 550 M-Sport
    '04 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Senior Member..now yer posting! JBs92Lude's Avatar
    Subaru ftw
    '02 Suzuki SV650
    '92 lavender prelude

Legacy GT = Slow and not fun
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Unfortunately the owner group of these cars is changing (I think for the worst) but for your wishes and price rangei dont think anything is a better fit than the nSRT-4. Practical, fast, inexpensive, and most of all tons of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by WhatsADSM View Post
    Unfortunately the owner group of these cars is changing (I think for the worst) but for your wishes and price rangei dont think anything is a better fit than the nSRT-4. Practical, fast, inexpensive, and most of all tons of fun.
    Ah but he also said dependable, which is a term that is not used too often with a neon
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

Quote Originally Posted by Nutwaver View Post
    Ah but he also said dependable, which is a term that is not used too often with a neon
    Bone stock up to about 300HP they are simply unbreakable.

I vote for the SRT-4 also, if you can find one that has been used but not abused, which can be a needle in a haystack type of proposition. Go for an 04 or 05, the 03's didn't have have LSD and other small things.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    SRT-4's, especially stock ones, are utterly reliable. North of 300hp, and all you really worry about is breaking half-shafts on hard launches.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Jetta gli
    EMT/Fire fighters- " this ain’t a job. It ain’t an occupation. It’s a calling. A need. A desire that you feel in your bones and your brains and your nut-sack."Tommy Gavin(Denis Leary)

Quote Originally Posted by xxtremeteam View Post
    Jetta gli
    I agree with this one^^^^^^^
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

I've been reading that Neon SRT-4s have some oil leaking problems. Not a huge fan of the look of them cuz they are still Neons, but I guess for the money it's good performance.

I've seen a couple Golf GTIs that have some nice zip to them with a little added boost (but I think they are slow as balls stock, if I'm not mistaken).

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    You must be confused Nick SRT-4s are VERY reliable when you keep them reasonably modded. The only real issues are stuff you see once you push them to their limits (which is fairly high)

The Yellow Tie Fighter
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    SRT-4's, especially stock ones, are utterly reliable. North of 300hp, and all you really worry about is breaking half-shafts on hard launches.
    Even broken axles aren't much of an issue if you run slicks. On a street tire on a hard launch I agree axles don't like the abuse, however on a slick with the same power they hold up much better.

Wheel hop kills axles in those cars... Rarely is it sheer power.

Worst part of the SRT-4 without a doubt is the fact that it is front wheel drive. Otherwise I think for that price range and turbo my next choice would probably be an earlier WRX. Not quite as bullet proof but if you keep them fairly stock they do well and they are AWD which is great.

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    04-05ish WRX hands down. As a daily driven, you can't beat it. I took mine out in 12" of snow last year during the worst snowfall of the season and even lowered it still made it through. Granted as a snowplow but the AWD is great. They are easy to work on, make great power with bolt ons and are a lot of fun to drive. I would recommend a wagon since they are super versatile cars. I have hauled 2X4s, landscape retainer wall bricks, wheels you name it in the one I had. Plus averaged 24mpg with city/highway mix on the Cobb
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

WRXs are easy to work on? I always thought their engine bays looked like a cluster fuck, especially with that intercooler on top blocking half the stuff. Then again I've never owned one.

Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar
    Easy. Turbo swaps are easy, removing the intercooler is easy. Exhaust is easy. Oil changes are a snap. Fuel filter is right on top in the engine bay held in with a spring clamp. No stupid fittings to deal with. Spark plug changes can be a pain if you don't have a variety of extensions and universals but do it once and the next time is a snap also. 02s had the weak 5-speed, 03s are still somewhat brittle but it depends on what you do to it. Mine had 90k+ miles and shifted like new
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

Post whore
    Dude, save up a little extra coin and go for the evo. You can find decent 03-04's for around 15k these days.

Check out evom, lots of good deals: http://forums.evolutionm.net/sale-cars-sale-134/

IMO it's a waste to have 300+ hp in a fwd platform. Not to mention they look like ass.
    2005 DSOM Corvette, Z51, M6, Z06 Mufflers

SRT4 Neon or Caliber. I got my brand new 08 Caliber for $13500 or so with a cash for clunkers trade in....
    96 Viper GTS Underground Racing Twin 78mm Precision turbos, Proline 510 stroker-1483RWHP
    73 Challenger Bickel Chassis, Indy 572 HEMI-860HP
    67 Plymouth Fury Police Pursuit, Indy 505-600HP
    94 Stealth RT/TT built 6G72, 13G, FMIC
    75 Trailduster 440 Convertible
    92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!