Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Make sure to do an aluminum insert if you go the insert route. There have been some lightning guys with steel inserts who have had detonation problems from it being a hot spot and it ate away all around the insert on the head. Foxlake said the same thing regarding the steel inserts causing hot spots in the cylinder on a FI engine. It might be fine NA but nitrous or any boost and I would definitely stay away from steel inserts.

Also with the lock n stitch kit there is no chance of the insert coming out like some of the timeserts have during a plug change. Nvr_Spds on SVTP works at lock n stitch and at one point was talking about renting a kit out so might be worth a shot to contact him.

install directions http://fulltorque.com/pdf/Ford%20Tri...structions.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy MF'ng Johnson! View Post
    this is true,but more than likely it is from being pushed up and down from compression and banging on the head or plug tube.
    This is what I was thinking, unless there is another more serious problem......

Ol' School
    I'll be doing some sort of insert. I dont have the money for a new head or even a used head that has the tendency to have the same issue. Cant find any prices on the locknstitch kit yet. Sent a pm to that dude too

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

Ol' School
    Quote Originally Posted by Car Guy View Post
    This is what I was thinking, unless there is another more serious problem......
    car has been running fine. no audible issues, no sluggish throttle responce, no detonating. Oil pressure gauge hasnt moved. Air fuel has been consistent until last night LOL

That thing was having fits

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

That really sucks!!!! Hope you are able to fix her up without too much out of pocket expense. Good luck!
    "LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE IT"

'95 Rio Red Cobra 347 stroked SOLD!!
    '73 Mach 1 351 2v mostly stock
    '07 Harley Davidson Nightster 1200XLN SOLD!!
    '06 GMC Envoy (wifes DD)
    '03 Ford F150 XLT FX4 (DD)

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    i wouldnt use a steel insert on it either FWIW

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

You might want to try and rig up some thing to measure the piston height at TDC and compare that to a few other cylinders. That bent electrode is scary. Also I'd check compression. Just my two cents.

Ol' School
    the bent electrode I am finding is very common on this issue. Typically something goes wrong with the tune and pops the plug out. While its red hot and bouncing around from the comression pushing it around the tip bends down. Will have them check out a ton of stuff just to make sure but its going to a buddies shop tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    it will be fine

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

Ol' School
    im sure your right bud. just freaked a little. Its in great hands now though. I think thats the first time seeing my car on a flat bed. Hope its the last until I put a aluminator on it or something of the sort

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

I have no idea where I am 94greenbandit's Avatar
    Glad to hear she is gonna be taken care of.

What is an aluminator

Quote Originally Posted by 94greenbandit View Post
    Glad to hear she is gonna be taken care of.

What is an aluminator
    FRPP motor.

Hi, sorry to hear about your problem. Can I ask how many miles on the engine, and were these the original spark plugs? I have heard about this on the registry, seems to happen with original and replacement plugs. Makes me want to check mine out. Seems the '04 models had more threads in the cylinder heads to solve this problem. Hope you are able to get it fixed quickly. Thanks.

Mike

Ol' School
    75Kish and yes these are the motorcraft ones. from what I found 04 models dont have the issue of losing the plug if it fouls out.

Bought NGK 55IXs to go in for replacment and a new coil of course

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

Do those NGK's have more threads on them than the Motorcrafts?

Ol' School
    have the same amount. The issue is the 03 head we have has only 4 total threads that actually contacts the plug so when it goes bad like this we dont have an option except repair the hole or a new head if its really bad.

Last edited by MoCkiN U; 09-20-2009 at 09:51 PM.

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

Yeah, I suppose all that can be done to prevent this is to replace and retorque them every so many miles/years with some anti-seize... Let me know how it works out for you. Good luck!

Ol' School
    http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/...ght=spark+plug

That post on the reg has an exact story of mine just earlier this year. Everything the same. Cruising along and POP it goes and the coil is identical to mine. Too bad Ford never owned up to it but did change the heads in 04.

Just really want to know what the hell caused it. Maybe need to get it looked over by a tuner just to see what the WOT numbers are today for air/fuel and such

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

I don't know if it's just the heat cycles that cause the plug to loosen over time or maybe they didn't install them properly (anti-seize and torque) from day one, but if that was the case you would think it would have blown out a long time ago. Maybe the main problem is the total thread count in the head, obviously a few more wouldn't hurt, and it seems they took car of that in '04. That link you showed me, those plugs look like longer reach, they look to have twice the threads as yours, so I wasn't sure if that was an '04 that those blew out of and that's why I asked. Seems nobody has a definite answer on this problem as it is fairly hit and miss.

Ol' School
    Hey.....

good observation. Those are NGKs that blew out of his and I didnt open mine to even look and compare so I assumed so yeah they are longer as they will get put in tomorrow. Guess changing the plugs isnt the fix but yeah agreed its hit and miss. Hopefully your car is more miss than hit and you never see this happen

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750