Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Ol' School

OH CRAP! Is This is bad???

Tonight driving home not even being hard on the car at all. The nitrous is not even done being installed so I wasnt running that. Im in the slow lane just enjoying a drive and the car starts to studder real bad in 5th gear. I look down thinking ok just going to slow for this gear so down shift and it doesnt go away.

Turn the radio off and slow down to get a better listen. Driving slugish, almost thought a tire was down so pulled over and nothing but the car sounds like its on 4 cylinders not 8.

Baby it home at 2grand. No codes are throwing but fuel smell is very obvious. I get in the garage, pull the intake no dirt on the MAF. Pull the passenger coil cover cause its there and oil is all around 3rd cylinder (not sure which number it is techically but its 3rd from rear of the motor on passenger side) and there is rubber all over the place.

I pull the coil pack thinking there would be resistance and nothing.....There it comes with the wire all wrapped up on itself. Ok, bad coil.

Pull the plug and when I put the socket on it there was loose feeling. No turns no nothing. Pull out the socket to see WTF and there is the plug in the socket.

The damn thing just blew out. Here are pictures.

I can replace the plugs and the coil pack. What worries me most is those last 3 threads on that plug are mangled and if I have to get head work done now to repair those threads or if that hole if even fubar beyond any backyard repair???

Can it be as easy as running a thread cleaner down in there and just putting in new plugs and coil pack on that cylinder?

Last edited by MoCkiN U; 09-19-2009 at 11:01 PM.

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

I have no idea where I am 94greenbandit's Avatar
    I have no good ideas for you except you shouldn't be surprised because it is a Ford.

In all seriousness i hope it isn't a big issue for you and it is a simple fix

Ol' School
    edited*

nevermind. not worth it. just stressed.

anyone got good info? been there before?
    Last edited by MoCkiN U; 09-19-2009 at 11:32 PM.

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

I wasn't trying to rile you up, like I said I hope you get her fixed.

If you shine a light into the plug hole can you see if it is stripped down there or did you try another plug just to see if it has trouble getting in there
    Last edited by 94greenbandit; 09-19-2009 at 11:35 PM.

Ol' School
    yeah ignore me. just really stressed. its past 10 no parts shops open and my prized possession is all fubar.

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    My father inlaws lightning blew a plug like that. I think you can pull the head and have it heli-coiled.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

Ol' School
    hoping like hell not to have to pull the head off.

Here is a plug pic

Last edited by MoCkiN U; 09-19-2009 at 11:47 PM.

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by MoCkiN U View Post
    yeah ignore me. just really stressed. its past 10 no parts shops open and my prized possession is all fubar.
    No prob I understand. Keep us updated. See if you can look in there of if you have trouble or its too easy to get another plug in there

Ol' School
    Quote Originally Posted by 94greenbandit View Post
    No prob I understand. Keep us updated. See if you can look in there of if you have trouble or its too easy to get another plug in there
    I was gonna run another plug down in there but figured better back off, think about it for a second and run a tap through there first??

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

buy or borrow a lock n stitch kit. you can do it with the head still on to fix it.

http://fulltorque.com/sparkpluginserts.htm

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    First pull all coil packs,use compressed air in the tubes to blow out atny debris,then pull all plugs to see what is going on in the other holes.
    if its just the one the insert would be best if the head is not junk. Start there first

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

Quote Originally Posted by MoCkiN U View Post
    I was gonna run another plug down in there but figured better back off, think about it for a second and run a tap through there first??
    do not run a tap in it,metal filings in the motor are no good

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    I've never seen a running spark plug look like that with the ground strap bent over the electrode and the threads at the end looking like they've been crushed.

I'd pull all the other ones and have a look at them.

There are not a lot of options for on-the-car thread repair.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

I've seen one like that. was from a piece of the piston hitting it and smashing it up.

Political signatures are not allowed

I blew the plug out of my 5.4 in my F150. I use the Timesert kit recommended by the guys on an F series site. it was about $300 which was better than the $3000 the ford dealer wanted to change the head. You can do it with the head on which is what the f150 guys had done and what I did, since on the trucks you have to remove the cab to take the head off. I resold the kit minus one insert on ebay for $200.
    It's been like 45,000 + miles and it still is good.
    http://www.timesert.com/

Timesert > helicoil

at the time it was cheaper to buy it straight from the company than anyone else , not sure if that's still the case.
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now

^^^ Those work very well. We have something very similar at Napa. There is also a tool that is a reverse tap. meaning it cuts from the inside out taking the shavings out too. I would avoid spraying with any type of thread insert though.

being its a 4v head will that same kit work from a triton 2v though? It pays to torque sparkplugs, the calibrated wrist does not always work. I would think if the threads were jacked you would see the aluminum still in the threads.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

Quote Originally Posted by BAD LS1 View Post
    being its a 4v head will that same kit work from a triton 2v though? It pays to torque sparkplugs, the calibrated wrist does not always work. I would think if the threads were jacked you would see the aluminum still in the threads.
    They have kits for all different sized plugs. I called them and got the one that was right for mine. The problem from what I've read was that they only have like 3 or 4 threads in the sparkplug hole, I believe they added more in 04 IIRC but never admitted there was a problem. That's really been the only big problem I've had on my truck with over 140K miles on it.
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now

Ol' School
    OK.

Here's the deal. I pulled the other coils and the plugs and all are fine. Its just on this one cylinder. I didnt make sure to look around the plug before I pulled it last night so thats a oops but the damn thing was running with the plug out of it so heres to hoping that the compression blew the crap out of the hole. LIke rocketpower said this is known to happen in these heads due to the very little thread thats there.

I made a make shift suction tip using a straw and my shop vac to get all the other crumbs from the other cylinders and also ran down in this empty one just in case.

I gotta get this timesert repair kit cause I tried to run a plug down in there gently just to see whats what and nothing....wouldnt take at all. I am really nervous about drilling a hole into a cylinder head so I guess I can ask.

Anyone who has done this before feel like driving down to kenosha and showing me how to do this thing? I will be researching it too but just curious if you have tips/suggestions along the way. Can offer cash and beer.

Would be friday sometime as Im off that day.
    Last edited by MoCkiN U; 09-20-2009 at 10:28 AM.

Wife Approved Toys
    03 Mach 1
    98 GSXR 750

Quote Originally Posted by lit666 View Post
    I've seen one like that. was from a piece of the piston hitting it and smashing it up.
    this is true,but more than likely it is from being pushed up and down from compression and banging on the head or plug tube.