Thread: boat painting

boat painting

i may be trading my boat for an older mastercraft, but the mastercraft needs a new paint job, bad. has anyone here ever painted a boat or have an estimate of how much it usually costs?

Post whore
    A boat finish is quite a bit different than a car. Usually the color is under or included in the gel coat. This is the hard outer shell of the fiberglass. You can paint over the gel coat if it is in good shape. If its cracked bad you will need to remove the gel coat and re spray it on. Which is a very costly proposition. I think it's somewhere around $100 a foot, its a nasty chemical so a fresh air mask is usually required. My brother is in the process of restoring a 16' speed boat. I'm not sure what he is using for gel, i think he may be using something less toxic.
    2005 DSOM Corvette, Z51, M6, Z06 Mufflers

Get it wrapped. Stretch in Waukesha does boat wraps.
    Owner of Sunset Self Storage LLC. LET ME KNOW IF YOU NEED STORAGE. 24/7 access. No Contract length. Self Storage/Portable Storage/Vehicle Transport
    Thanks, Brad 262.751.9439

09 Cadillac CTS V Has some stuff done...
    05 Chevy Duramax: Best time in 4wd was 12.22 @ 108
    99 Harley Davidson Ultra Classic: Big Bore, Cams, tune.

any idea how much stretch costs? or have a website for them? do they clear over the wrap?

Post whore
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderPSI View Post
    Get it wrapped. Stretch in Waukesha does boat wraps.
    As in vinyl? I don't think that would last very long. Seems like a half ass fix to me.

┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌∩┐ Super Mario Mushroom Champion Starcastle Champion Korndogg's Avatar
    http://www.signsandlinesbystretch.com/

lol apparently they do my company trucks. I just saw a picture of one on there haha
    Last edited by Korndogg; 09-11-2009 at 03:00 PM.
    1968 Camaro 383

Quote Originally Posted by SSLEVO View Post
    As in vinyl? I don't think that would last very long. Seems like a half ass fix to me.
    i know the wraps on cars last a while, thats kind of why i was asking about the clear over it. i know they make those uv protectant clears for boats.

Post whore
    Have any pics of the area that "needs paint"

uh... the whole boat. its just white with faded blue stripes. i kind of want black and blue with a more modern graphics package.

Post whore
    Quote Originally Posted by lasttimearound View Post
    uh... the whole boat. its just white with faded blue stripes. i kind of want black and blue with a more modern graphics package.
    Ok, here is the deal, if the gel coat is cracked the boat need a lot of work. If it's just faded you can repaint it as i said above.