Thread: P71 guys

P71 guys

What exactly do I need to do to put on 2005 and up mustang wheels on a 2001 P71?

What about 2004 and down mustang wheels.

Thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleAron View Post
    Just because you are familiar with the back seat, does not make it lame!

Contact Tom (03CVLX), he’s guaranteed to know the answer......

Crown vic

Wheels

All panthers use a 5x4.5" bolt pattern, and a ~70.5mm hub centerbore

92-02:

All '92-'97s require 15" wheels minimum to clear the front calipers. 'All 98+ require at least a 16" wheel to clear their larger front dual piston calipers. (15" will clear in the rear, however)
    There have been mentions of people grinding down their 98-02 fronts calipers to allow use of 15" wheels. I do not recommend this.
    All '98+ use 16" wheels as standard equipment, 17" if it was a CV Sport (and later Town Cars and 18" for Marauder)
    -97s received 15" steel wheels as standard equipment on base models, 15" alloys on upper models and 16" alloys on 93+ HPPs
    All of the 16" and 17" rims are 7" in width, the 15" wheels are 6.5" in width however I have heard the 'Police' 15" steel wheels may be 7" The primary difference between CVPI and 'base' -'97 15" steel wheels is the police wheels can accept 'dog dish' center caps.
    The offset for all -02 is ~6mm (depending on rim model), though a 0mm offset can be used without any trouble provided you keep the width reasonable.

03+

All came with at least 16" wheels, 17" for LX Sport and Town Cars and 18" for Marauders. All can use the 16" rims, however.
    The width is again 7", Though the Marauder's are 8" to run larger width tires
    The offset is high, ~50mm *Though anything in the ~40-~50mm range is acceptable.

Other Wheel info:

05+ / s197 Mustang, all 03+ panther, and 2002-2005 Explorer wheels are a direct fit for 03+ panthers.
    **Note: There is a clearance issue between the wheel and front calipers when using *some* '05+ Mustang wheels on '03+ panthers. This appears to be limited to the polished 5 spoke "Bullitt" Factory Ford wheels. If you run into this problem, slip-on style 1/4" spacers will space the wheel far enough to gain adequate clearance.
    s197 05+ Mustang / 03+ panther / 2002-2005 Explorer wheels will fit -02 panthers with the use wheel adapters, measuring at least ~30mm/1.25"+. Hub centric adapters recommended
    1.5" preferred. Aero owners may want to use 2" on rear.
    94-04 sn95/5x4.5" FACTORY mustang wheels can be used on -02 panthers, provided a wheel adapter/spacer measuring at ~1/4"+ is used on the front wheels to compensate for increased offset.
    Larger spacers will bring wheels further out to fender well lips. 1/4" is minimum for front ball joint clearance, and is adequate up to (and including) the 8" Cobra rims. 20mm+ preferred all around for the right look. (Aero owners should use a larger spacer in the rear to fill the wheel wells out more)
    Hub centric adapters recommended. Increased rim width will effect offset and minimum spacer size calculation. If you're going beyond factory Mustang wheels just keep that in mind and size your spacers accordingly.
    s95 (94-04)/5x4.5" Mustang wheels have too low of an offset for 03+ panthers, the wheels may protrude past the wheel openings.
    For aero owner's looking for better handling, -02 panther 16" (and 17") wheels are a direct fit, size 225/60/16 tires are closest to the diameter of your original 15" wheel/tire combo.
    Kenny Brown panthers used 18x8" Ronal R-7 wheels, using 245/45/18 tires
    2006+ CVPIs use 17" wheels. These wheels are a direct swap on all 2003+ panthers.
    They can be used on -02 provided hub centric adapters (1.5") are used on all 4 wheels.
    -97 Steel wheels come in two varieties. The standard and the 'Police' wheels which have raised portions/bumps to secure the 'dog-dish' style hubcaps.
    DCX non-AWD LX Platform wheels can be used on -02 panthers. The bolt pattern is slightly off (by .7mm, DCX using 5x115mm vs. our 5x114.3mm) , so vibration may be felt at higher speeds.
    Hub centric rings may be needed as well.
    Offset is ~18mm, so spacers are not required for use on -02s.
    These wheels will stick out too far to be used on 03+ panthers.
    The aforementioned Ford wheel offerings (Mustang, Explorer, Panther, etc.) use the correct 70.6mm center bore.

Other notes:

Backspacing will all depend on the rim width chosen in relation to the offset.
    The use of a wheel spacer or adapter puts more stress on the vehicle's lug nuts and wheel bearings
    Eibach, H&R make high-quality wheel adapters
    Aero panthers have a narrower track width (most noticeably the rear, by ~2") than 98+. If wheel adapters/spacers are to be purchased an aero owner may want to go slightly larger than 98+ for more fender fill-out
    Our cars use a 1/2"-20 RH thread Acorn style lug nut when you go to purchase chrome lugs for your spiffy new wheels
    Factory lug torque spec is ~95ft-lbs
    Many Ford factory wheels share the same size hub cover, thus Ford oval logo covers can be used in place of Cobra snakes, galloping 'stangs, Gods-heads and other designs not suiting for your vehicle.
    Various hub covers can be purchased from FRPP, or on eBay.
    Member gDMJoe has a list of hub cover's with part numbers here: THread Link
    Curiously, Ford recently started remaking the 2003-2004 Mercury Marauder wheels for use on the 2006+ Mustang as a 'Factory Custom' wheel offering. These wheels are for the most part identical, with the exception of a slight difference in the forging around the center cap area; though, the Marauder and all previously mentioned center caps should work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS LX View Post
    What exactly do I need to do to put on 2005 and up mustang wheels on a 2001 P71?

What about 2004 and down mustang wheels.

Thanks for the help.

I looks like you will need spacers...Tom will know for sure ...I got this info on a quick check at crownvic.net

17x8 Bullitts
    SPACERS: 1.5" in the front, 2" in the back

Always wondered if a set of Vic rims would fit my 65 Mustang.

I would run the 17inch steel black wheels with the dog dish hub caps on a P71. I think it looks tits that way!!!
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns, and my money. You can keep your change.

Hmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Feature Pony View Post
    I would run the 17inch steel black wheels with the dog dish hub caps on a P71. I think it looks tits that way!!!
    That is what the car has now. I like the look as well, but a 30 mile drive on the freeway with people that are going 10mph under the speed limit gets old.

I do like the fact that I can take on a curb at 30, and not bend a rim.

I was curious if driving around in an ex-police car would get that kind of reaction......

Quote Originally Posted by Car Guy View Post
    I was curious if driving around in an ex-police car would get that kind of reaction......
    It does.

What Dynotom posted is Gospel. Thats Drocks wheel and tire Faq from CVN. Guaranteed to work perfect. 17" steel wheels didn't come around until the 06-07 model year and would have the same fitment issues as mustang wheels without spacers on an 01. My guess is it still has the old deep dish style 16" Steel wheels on it. 98-02 wheeloffset is +6 mm and 03+ is +50 range.
    2011 Lincoln MKS AWD

Quote Originally Posted by BOSS LX View Post
    That is what the car has now. I like the look as well, but a 30 mile drive on the freeway with people that are going 10mph under the speed limit gets old.

I do like the fact that I can take on a curb at 30, and not bend a rim.
    Vinyl banner at the top of the windshield with reversed letters reading: I'm not a cop.

Fix'd.

Quote Originally Posted by -stew- View Post
    Vinyl banner at the top of the windshield with reversed letters reading: I'm not a cop.

Fix'd.
    That would be great to put on a cop car. Oh he's not a cop. *cue lights and siren*
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now

that reaction was fun the first few weeks i had my car, but it gets old really fast especially when you are tryin to get somewhere. i do kinda miss my car though, it was a gold one..lowered on chrome 20"s and people still slowed down.
    "the never ending project"
    www.projecttwocustoms.com