T-56 Question...

So, after having this termi for about 2 weeks now, I love the car, no regrets at all.

Wheel hop is def a problem, but one I hope to fix before next summer.

My only gripe is the damn T56....are they all this noisy? Sounds like a rock tumbler when starting off from a light or stop sign, and then the clutch/tranny is just plain noisy when driving in any gear with the top & windows up and the stereo off.

From what I read, this seems to be normal, but just looking for more opinions!

Seems to have gotten louder with the install of my MGW shifter last night too, but def more solid and better feel to each gear!

Thanks!
    John
    03 Cobra Vert - Mostly Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Exitspeed View Post
    People are so lazy. They don't even want to work at a relationship. They just give up.

johnny....You will notice that the trans sounds louder with the MGW or any other short throw shifter since they dont have the isolators that the stock shifter does. As far as the t-56 its self, well you will have to ask someone who actualy has one.
    Quote Originally Posted by HITMAN View Post
    stew - continuing confirmation of the hypothesis that marbles aren't sharp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
    Jim you build... break... and rebuild cars faster than I can put one together.

Race Transmission Rebuilder twicks69's Avatar
    John, what is the mileage on the transmission?

Which clutch?

Worst case scenario, I can replace the bearings in the transmission and give it a rebuild if you wanted this winter. I can do T-56's (as well as DSM's and SRT-4's, T5's, etc).

What trans gear oil are you using? It should be ATF Dextron/Mercon III or IV. 4 quarts.
    Last edited by twicks69; 08-18-2009 at 02:07 PM.
    Tim Zimmer
    1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    9.49@148mph, street trim.
    ----------------------------
    2005 Subaru Outback Limited
    -- Winter Beater --

Tim, the car has under 9000 miles on it, stock clutch, old man driven. I have a feeling it's just normal for the t-56 to be a bit noisy, I have talked to a few other people between work and a few other forums and it seems to be the norm....

I would like to change the tranny fluid though, it is almost 7 years old.

People are so lazy. They don't even want to work at a relationship. They just give up.

it shouldnt be too loud. i guess id have to hear it to tell for sure. one of reasons they are loud is the fluid. if it is a summer only car you can run like half the dextron and half a real fluid like gforce sells. the thicker fluid is actually better for it and will quiet it down a lot. just not for winter use as its a bit notchy when the trans is cold cannot imagine how bad it would be in winter temps. this is what gforce owners and high hp viper guys do including me.
    96 Viper GTS Underground Racing Twin 78mm Precision turbos, Proline 510 stroker-1483RWHP
    73 Challenger Bickel Chassis, Indy 572 HEMI-860HP
    67 Plymouth Fury Police Pursuit, Indy 505-600HP
    94 Stealth RT/TT built 6G72, 13G, FMIC
    75 Trailduster 440 Convertible
    92 Galant VR4 #848
    04 Neon SRT4 Mods!

So, a fluid change with a mix, maybe 70/30 using a thicker fluid should help with the noise then. When could you come out to hear it? I may go up to oscars tonight if anyone wants to take a listen! I put a thread up in the events section just a few minutes ago...

the noise is normal for that T56. once you ditch the factory exhaust and put a nice aftermarket exhaust on you can't really hear it. When you installed you MGW did you put on the factory rubber boot? I have a MGW in my car as well if you want to take a ride let me know you can listen to my car.
    I'll keep my freedom, my guns, and my money. You can keep your change.

yes, and the MGW additional boot as well to help with the heat and noise. The only thing I didnt do, which I am now regretting is the Bob's Mustang shifter gaskets....then again, they are only $8 and it's a pretty easy job to do...so I may do that over winter while the car is sitting and while I am hopefully ordering parts to put on....

I would like to see your car though, get an idea for exhaust options, etc...

If you can make it, we are having a Ford Only show at Uptown (2111 N Mayfair Rd, right by mayfair mall) on Saturday the 22nd (in two days). 8AM to 4PM, food and drinks free, live music, door prizes, raffle prizes, and trophies.

I'll be working, but hopefully it will be slow so I can chat for a bit!

They are normally quiet, depending on the shifter, it may kinda make a scuffing or slight whine noise through the shifter... Rattling in nuetral at idle is normal though.
    2012 Cruze ECO M6 - Crystal Red- Just a little more boost than stock!
    2001 Camaro SS - Rallye Red - In process.

mine isn't very loud. i have an MGW shifter, and GM/penzoil synchromesh in the transmission. stock clutch here, with 18k miles and 600 rwhp.

R.I.P. BCM Jawashoot Champion Toby and Kiki Champion GTSLOW's Avatar
    I had a pro 5-0 in my 02 T/A and it wasn't noisy at all. Only time you could tell is cruising at 80mph. Dunno exhaust was way to loud to hear taking off.
    All posts from the above author are expected to be 100% BS. Thank you and have a nice day.

it should not be very loud. i would at least change the fluid in the tranny. i use penzoil/gm synchromesh from advance auto in my cobra, and synthetic mobil 1 in my GTO---both shift like butter and are quiet. my cobra has a catback, and a catted midpipe, so i would definitely hear the transmission over the exhaust if it were a problem. GTO just has a catback.
    current rides:

'13 nissan GTR
    '13 GT500
    '09 c6z-06
    '09 escalade
    '85 GT

I have a MGW shifter and no bob gasket, and my transmission is loud and always has been. Sounds like an old engine lathe running at full speed.
    Pretty sure this transmission was sources from a per WW2 farm tractor.

Its a helluva car and I would not trade mine for a new Challenger or Camero and those are both hot wheels.

52k miles checking in.

25k miles. Bob's gasket and MGW. It did get louder than stock shifter but its normal. I dont mind it. These cars make a lot of noise as it is lol

That's what I'm figuring. I dont have a bob's gasket set, but it's easy enough to get it apart and do it at any time. Might do it over winter if I get bored while the car is sitting. It's a cheap easy mod, and seems to be well worth while!