Boost went where again? Silver86's Avatar

heres a silly question about oil for you guys. (s197)

the mustang needs an oil change. and being the bone head i was i picked up some 5w30 instead of the recommended 5w20... is 5w20 really needed? being new to Fords i dont know if theres any special reason for using 5w20. so should i try and return this 5w30 and try to find a jug of 5w20... or should i just be fine with the 5w30?

- 86' rx7 - 06' mustang GT - 04' xterra SE -

BCM Rseident Grill Master Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay's Avatar
    Mike, i'd use the reccomended 5w20. I'll take the 5w30 from you. the daily needs an oil change

From what I read years ago on this, they switched to 5w20 to gain a tenth or so fuel mileage. Across a fleet this helped them with epa standards or something.

FTR i've run 5w30 mobile 1 in mine for over 50k with zero problems. Mobile 1 never had 5w20 available until recently. I switched back to it this last oil change only because they were out of 5-dub-30 at walmart.

If you want 5w20... they sell the motorcraft 5w20 semi-synthetic in 5 quart jugs at walmart for like 11.28 (also in 1 quart bottles). Also I know they have it there in mobile 1 as well.
    Last edited by animal; 08-10-2009 at 08:39 AM.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Your car wont even notice the difference, especially given the temps it'll be this month. Use it.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

They sell motorcraft semi-synthetic 5w-20 in a 5 quart jug for 12 bucks at walmart.

Quote Originally Posted by DurtyKurty View Post
    They sell motorcraft semi-synthetic 5w-20 in a 5 quart jug for 12 bucks at walmart.
    ill have to take a ride up to the local walmart... i dont recall seeing any 5w20 motorcraft... i gotta head up that way anyways for some other things.

It's there... just purchased two of them myself. Get yourself some motorcraft filters while your there.

Quote Originally Posted by DurtyKurty View Post
    It's there... just purchased two of them myself. Get yourself some motorcraft filters while your there.
    Just bought some for my truck last week at the new berlin one, and of course a motorcraft filter
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now

BCM Rseident Grill Master Bobby "Big Daddy" Flay's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver86 View Post
    ill have to take a ride up to the local walmart... i dont recall seeing any 5w20 motorcraft... i gotta head up that way anyways for some other things.
    You went to the Saukville location. that's the mistake

Quote Originally Posted by hbgben View Post
    You went to the Saukville location. that's the mistake

im not driving to WB for oil...

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    actually it is not good to run other than the 5-20 the vvti sprockets do not like it,it can change their operation from what they are designed,they work on pressure,heavier oil can affect their operation. Anyone that tells you otherwise is incorrect.the s197 3v is a different animal than a 2v or 4v setup. fuel mileage is a possible issue but prolly not noticeable unless the vvti does not adjust properly thus advanceing pr retarding the cams to much/little. will the motor blow apart,prolly not im sure many have done this,but a engine light or decreased performance is possible.

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy MF'ng Johnson! View Post
    actually it is not good to run other than the 5-20 the vvti sprockets do not like it,it can change their operation from what they are designed,they work on pressure,heavier oil can affect their operation. Anyone that tells you otherwise is incorrect.the s197 3v is a different animal than a 2v or 4v setup. fuel mileage is a possible issue but prolly not noticeable unless the vvti does not adjust properly thus advanceing pr retarding the cams to much/little. will the motor blow apart,prolly not im sure many have done this,but a engine light or decreased performance is possible.
    Aren't 5w30 and 5w20 the same once they heat up though? I guess I always thought they were.

If that's the case it wouldn't really matter once it go up to temp anyway.

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by animal View Post
    Aren't 5w30 and 5w20 the same once they heat up though?
    The 20 is slightly lower viscosity at operating temps...they are essentially the same at low temps.

Coop is right though...certain things can be finicky about viscosity, a variable valve timing devices are notorious for it (most famously, honda v-tech, but others as well including the lastest gen hemi's, etc). It's funny though...I wasn't aware that the 3v's used any sort of device though
    Last edited by Prince Valiant; 08-10-2009 at 09:23 PM.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    The 20 is slightly lower viscosity at operating temps...they are essentially the same at low temps.

Coop is right though...certain things can be finicky about viscosity, a variable valve timing devices are notorious for it (most famously, honda v-tech, but others as well including the lastest gen hemi's, etc). It's funny though...I wasn't aware that the 3v's used any sort of device though
    Ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post

I guess i was ass backwards on this hehe