Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cheapest Place to take a rider course?

What's the cheaper place to take a rider course? I don't own a bike, but rode one for the first time over the weekend, it was a good time.

I just started looking, but so far I found this:

$195 to $350
    http://www.ridersedge.com/1_new/1_new1_basic.htm#

$290
    http://www.ridealive.net/Course%20Information.htm
    Online Drag Racing -------Reaction Time Tester!
    Red 1982 Trans Am MSE Hooker 1 5/8, 3 inches back, 3:73s ---- Red 1990 Formula with ZZ4 motor, Hooker 2055s, American Thunder catback ---- Black 1991 GTA with 3 inch Flowmaster Catback system ---- Black 2002 WS6 Bone Stock

Suck Squish Bang Blow

2006 roadking custom. KF 9000 Champion 0TransAm0's Avatar
    i took mine at gateway tech. in kenosha was about $150 alltho that was about 7-8 years ago.

I just did it at wctc this summer and it was around $200. They say you need a helmet, gloves, jacket and boots. However, they provide helmets (if needed), all you need is long sleave t-shirt, regular boots, and gardening gloves (lol).

I have all the gear, since I got a bike. But, if you are just starting out and don't have any gear, look into wctc.

The classes book FAST! Mine was half full within an hour of the registration opening.

i think i only paid $160 at wctc last year?
    2001 Trans Am WS6, Race car
    [COLOR="Blue"]2006 Tacoma Xrunner

I went to motorcycling enterprises (crystal ridge ski hill) and paid $280 last year and got it done in april

Money Comes and Money Goes,
    But Rat Fink is Forever
    "There isn't a man living who isn't capable of doing more than he thinks he can." Henry Ford

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    I bought a dirt bike, got used to it, then walked into the DMV and took my temps test. 25 minutes later walked out with my temps. 2 months later I returned and took the driving test. All and all I think I paid 260 bucks and I have a dirt bike. lol

An update on the WCTC classes. Just looked at their site and they are $217 now.

Hopefully there's room for me to sign up.
    http://www.wctc.edu/programs_&_cours...de=816&num=420

SNATCH A KISS ORVICEVERSA Junky Giorgio's Avatar
    I wouldn't waste my money at any of those cheaper rider courses listed above.
    If you want to learn from the best, I highly recommend Learning Curves Motorcycle Safety School.

I've taken both the basic rider course and the race school and it was well worth every penny.

http://iwanttoride.com/
    TRIUMPH DAYTONA 675 TRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by murdoc158 View Post
    Thanks to YellowWagon for the pics and JunkGSX for the ladies.
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamZ
    Junk maybe gone, but Tony is Junky Giorgio forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by domokun View Post
    junk, your junking my thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Junky Giorgio View Post
    I wouldn't waste my money at any of those cheaper rider courses listed above.
    If you want to learn from the best, I highly recommend Learning Curves Motorcycle Safety School.

I've taken both the basic rider course and the race school and it was well worth every penny.

http://iwanttoride.com/
    I get that you thought Learning Curves was good, but that doesn't mean the instruction won't be just as good somewhere else. Unless you've had the class at WCTC how can you say it's not worth saving $83?
    Last edited by Exitspeed; 03-04-2010 at 01:38 PM.

Senior Member..now yer posting! Monstr913's Avatar
    I personally know the owner of ride alive good long time family friend and all his instructors are his family he's a good guy and has options for classes you can do it over a weekend or throughout a week. He fills up fast especially at beginning of year.
    DD: 2003 GMC Sierra 3500 Dually, ec/lb, Efi live by Duramax Tuner controlled through Edge CTS monitor, 5" MBRP exhaust, AFE stage 2 intake.

Toy: "My Pet Monster" 2001 Chevy 2500hd cc/sb, 2.6 pull truck, more money in it then I'd like to admit.

SNATCH A KISS ORVICEVERSA Junky Giorgio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Exitspeed View Post
    I get that you thought Learning Curves was good, but that doesn't mean the instruction won't be just as good somewhere else. Unless you've had the class at WCTC how can you say it's not worth saving $83?
    Because the instructors at LCMS are mostly if not all CCS/ASRA & AMA racers & ex racers. I've had several friends that have taken the cheaper courses at WCTC, etc. and said that the course was a joke and the instructors only know whats in the book and don't go above and beyond for the people that need that extra attention to acquire the skill of riding a motorcycle.

Also, to me spending $83 more for something that has more quality and a better reputation is well worth the life long skills that you learn when it comes to something of this status. Just my 0.02
    TRIUMPH DAYTONA 675 TRIPLE
    Quote Originally Posted by murdoc158 View Post
    Thanks to YellowWagon for the pics and JunkGSX for the ladies.
    Quote Originally Posted by WilliamZ
    Junk maybe gone, but Tony is Junky Giorgio forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by domokun View Post
    junk, your junking my thread.

My dad's buddy owns ride alive. my friend took their course and said they we're great instructors. i plan on taking it next summer.
    Brandon
    2004.5 K2500hd LLY Dmax/Allison EC/SB - Minor Mod's
    2005 Trailblazer Lt 4x4 - Wife's - Stock
    PS3HANDLE:SilverStreak82

Quote Originally Posted by Junky Giorgio View Post
    Because the instructors at LCMS are mostly if not all CCS/ASRA & AMA racers & ex racers. I've had several friends that have taken the cheaper courses at WCTC, etc. and said that the course was a joke and the instructors only know whats in the book and don't go above and beyond for the people that need that extra attention to acquire the skill of riding a motorcycle.

Also, to me spending $83 more for something that has more quality and a better reputation is well worth the life long skills that you learn when it comes to something of this status. Just my 0.02
    Good to know.

Took mine at WCTC. Like others have said, easy course, decent price.
    Daily Driver: 2009 Camry
    Weekend Car: 2006 Corvette

Senior Member..now yer posting! deuceWI's Avatar
    Since WCTC has been mentioned, don't forget MATC too. I know they used to run courses, and can't imagine why they still wouldn't.

I personally never took a course, just learned to ride dirt bikes when I was big enough, and learned that falling (just like on a bicycle) hurts a bunch, so don't do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Anakonda69 View Post
    My dad's buddy owns ride alive. my friend took their course and said they we're great instructors. i plan on taking it next summer.
    you and your brother should take it with marsha this summer :thumbups at least go get ur permit so u can steal my bike for a weekend lol

I went to Learning Curves and the instructors were great. Very knowledgable about the motorcycles and HIGHLY skilled rides. My instructor took his goldwing with a trailer through the course to show use it can be done with bigger bikes. Ithought I knew how to ride from riding dirtbikes...but taking the riders course was an eye opener!
    Last edited by WickedSix; 03-05-2010 at 12:14 PM.
    -Patrick

I r teh have da kewl now cuz of that ^^^^^^

"It's not a racecar if it drives to the track and goes home on a flatbed apparently"

I have a question then for the people that have taken the course...

I have never been on a bike. I understand how everything works, I just have zero actual experience. I know this is a learning class, but will I be totally out of place and look like a 'tard (for this reason particularly. Please don't answer that about other things)?

you pay i'll take it pat. lol
    Brandon
    2004.5 K2500hd LLY Dmax/Allison EC/SB - Minor Mod's
    2005 Trailblazer Lt 4x4 - Wife's - Stock
    PS3HANDLE:SilverStreak82

Quote Originally Posted by Exitspeed View Post
    I have a question then for the people that have taken the course...

I have never been on a bike. I understand how everything works, I just have zero actual experience. I know this is a learning class, but will I be totally out of place and look like a 'tard (for this reason particularly. Please don't answer that about other things)?
    Your gonna look like a tard regardless I was the only guy in my MATC Riders course that had EVER been on a motorcycle.

I was also the only guy that rode a piece o shit hardtail bike that leaked gas AND oil, with no front brakes, TO the class every day. Everyone thought I was a bit off

Its probably true.

Anyways, they start you from the very beginning and the class is SUPER easy going. I was riding for over a year by the time I took the class, and I still learned a few things.
    iPedal : AIM:BMXpORK : Milwaukee, Wi : SUICIDEDOORS

"You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves." -Abraham Lincoln

^^^^ what he said.... MOST of the people in my class didnt have day one on a motorcycle before class.... and Gilbert Brown was in my class and he stalled the bike and put his feet down like most everyone there.... so if u make mistakes learn from them...u paid money for the class to learn... don't think u need to look cool or judge yourself against other people there...just focus on your own driving and getn better
    -Patrick

I r teh have da kewl now cuz of that ^^^^^^

"It's not a racecar if it drives to the track and goes home on a flatbed apparently"