Formerly known as Yellow Wagon jbiscuit's Avatar

Your ideal motor

What motor is the hot set-up in your mind? Doesn't even have to be a motor you own. Uniqueness is a factor, HP:cubes, or just overall cool

I think some of old Firedome Hemis are really cool lookin motors. Some came in Desotos and other Plymouths

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n...P/firedome.jpg

Whatcha got?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    2012 Subaru WRX STi 5-door
    1964 Biscayne 2dr - 4-speed

I'll touch your apex PureSound15's Avatar

Chicayne by Rad Rides by Troy - well, actually - ANY engine bay/engine that Troy has done in any of his cars. I know not everyone likes the pro-touring/mod style, but I love it!

Every engine is customized somehow. Whether its cutting down an intake to make it work without a cowl hood or just making sure that everything is poweder coated/painted/polished.

PLUS - Twin Turbo Small Block that makes 1200 Hp, 700 RPM, 18 MPG AND has air conditioning? Yes please.

Ford 427 Cammer from back in 64 only engine banned from nascar

They were rated at 615 horsepower (459 kW) at 7,000 rpm with a single four-barrel carburetor, and 657 horsepower (490 kW) at 7,500 rpm with dual four barrel carburetors.

in one of my current cars... turbocharged 350 Olds based on a Diesel block

64 or older full size Olds 394 with an 8-71

If I went the ford route, I like animal's choice
    Jamie

01 F150 Screw 5.4 4x4 99 VW Jetta 64 Olds Cutlass
    83 Cutlass Gbody Wagon 85 Suzuki GS700ES needs some new parts now

Honeywell AGT1500 (its the M1 tank engine)
    1500 Shaft Horsepower
    2750 Ft lbs at 3000rpm
    Runs on just about anything(diesel, jet fuel, gasoline, veggi oil, moonshine.....)

And technicly it doesn't have a red line, they just limit it for longevity and safety. So it can actualy put out a ton more power than rated, lol.
    Kevin
    Daily Driver: 1999 Chevy Tahoe w/ Vortec 350
    Wifes DD: 2003 VW Passat Wagon w/ 1.8T, 5 speed auto
    Plow Truck: 99 Chevy K3500 Pickup w/ a Vortec 454
    Toy 1: 98 BMW R1100R
    87 Camaro Iroc Z28, SOLD, Gone But not Forgotten

I like the old chevy W motors and the nail head buicks.

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    World makes a pretty bling aluminum BBC block that is good for 540-630ci. Forced-induction is cool and all but there is no replacement for displacement and it's relatively lightweight. Otherwise, probably the neatest is the old VW 1600cc 4 banger. Used for just about anything, including air compressors.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

Quote Originally Posted by wrath View Post
    World makes a pretty bling aluminum BBC block that is good for 540-630ci. Forced-induction is cool and all but there is no replacement for displacement and it's relatively lightweight. Otherwise, probably the neatest is the old VW 1600cc 4 banger. Used for just about anything, including air compressors.

There are more than a few people with '03/'04 Cobras powered my a supercharged 281 CID V8 that will disagree with you. Hang out long enough and you might find a guy or two with a turbo'd 231 CID V6 in his Buick who will disagree with you, also.

Quote Originally Posted by -stew- View Post
    There are more than a few people with '03/'04 Cobras powered my a supercharged 281 CID V8 that will disagree with you. Hang out long enough and you might find a guy or two with a turbo'd 231 CID V6 in his Buick who will disagree with you, also.
    exactly,

hell Supra 2JZ's are 183CID and those go well over 1400+HP

I would like a Neilson 572 BBC TT

http://www.nelsonracingengines.com/p..._572bbc_tt.pdf

572 BBC Intercooled Twin Turbo Dual Fuel Technology
    Big power with this Big Block 2500 HP and 2300 TQ race gas/
    methanol mix and 1700 HP and 1700 TQ with 91 octane pump
    gas/ methanol mix.

2jz240sx
    Quote Originally Posted by BOSS LX View Post

Remember, "if it was easy, it wouldn't be cool!"
    wi240sx.OMGforum.net

Praise the Lord. Reverend Cooper's Avatar
    any 650 hp motor that will never break

special thanks to: Marv @ C&M performance 262-993-6605

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Actually, there still is no replacement for displacement. Altered induction be it super/turbo/or nitrous, sheer volume of the piston/stroke, or even rpm's are just ways to get more into and out of an engine within a given time (IE, displacing the fuel/air w/in a given time).

Whether you say displacement or cubic inches, it the old adage is true no matter how you slice it.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

Grandpa Grocery Getter 2.0 wrath's Avatar
    Sweet. A 4.6L that's good for about 18lbs of boost or a 3.8L that's good for about 27lbs of boost with little work. Neat motors and all, for something that comes off an assembly line. But not so neat when compared to an aluminum BBC that makes the same power without forced induction and weighs less than an all-cast SBC. 650 ponies is pretty sweet no matter what... but when you still have the opportunity to supercharge it for more... a wee bit more sweet.

I'd take an LS7 over the 3.8L or the 4.6L mentioned before... mostly because the LS7 has opportunities neither of those engines have.

And in reality, you should have mentioned the LS9 in with your group of supercharged 4.6L and turbocharged 3.8L.
    Buy made in the United States. Otherwise your job might be next. Unless you already wear black shoes and a visor with golden arches on it to work in which case your fellow american has already failed you.

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    A DB605 with MW50. Maybe a Merlin. I think an R-2800(W) would be sweet also.
    Last edited by MurphysLaw88GT; 08-23-2009 at 01:15 PM.

I'm glad most of these motors suggested are "old school muscle."

A regular know-it-all Tetris Champion Snake Champion Lasagna From Heaven Champion Mac Man Champion Mahjong. Champion Mini Putt 3 Champion Plastic Saucer Champion Ratman Ralph Champion Prince Valiant's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    well, at least most the engines could fit in your engine bay, lol. At least none were radials engines....

I'm surprised by your choice...though I don't necessarily disagree. The firedomes were almost sculpted works of arts against many engines before or since. I can't think of a better looking engine in the bay of a mid-50's car, or sitting out in the open in a rat-rod/hot-rod.

The flathead does come close for simplistic beauty though.

Though the ford SOHC is impressive looking, I'd probably prefer a a 385 series...it has a cleaner look.

Of course, I'm partial to a simple Hemi, orange, with black crinkle valve covers.
    1979 Lil' Red Express -Officially the quickest "bolt-on" LRT in the country.
    1989 Shelby CSX #500/500
    The most powerful production Minivan, ever...

Be sure to check out my weekly adventures on the second page of your Sunday Comics!

I of course have an ultimate favorite with the W-motor however. Nostalgic, powerful, unique and very capable motors both then AND today

But I do like the vintage Hemis. Very cool motors. Love them in traditional hot rods

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    well, at least most the engines could fit in your engine bay, lol.
    Get a bigger engine bay... better yet build something around an engine.
    Kevin
    Daily Driver: 1999 Chevy Tahoe w/ Vortec 350
    Wifes DD: 2003 VW Passat Wagon w/ 1.8T, 5 speed auto
    Plow Truck: 99 Chevy K3500 Pickup w/ a Vortec 454
    Toy 1: 98 BMW R1100R
    87 Camaro Iroc Z28, SOLD, Gone But not Forgotten

Dusting off my knick knack... MurphysLaw88GT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Valiant View Post
    well, at least most the engines could fit in your engine bay, lol. At least none were radials engines....
    Sorry to wreck the list, I listed an R-2800, it is a radial. For its day, quite the monster.