Senior Member..now yer posting!

02' f 350 hard starting ?

Just got the oil pan replaced .
    (2200$ later/ wastgate nipple busted off too which added 150$ as they found a used one)

Now it is hard starting. Doesnt start like before for sure.

Any ideas? I just want to see what some experts say here first before i take it back.

Oh ya, just got done replacing the rear differental cover this weekend as it was also rotted and starting to leak . didnt even hit 70k miles yet

thanks ,
    jake

Make sure your oil filter on top is not leaking. I had a O ring seep and it would start hard. When it did start it sounded like it was flooded when first started.
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

Quote Originally Posted by Sprayaway Fox View Post
    Make sure your oil filter on top is not leaking. I had a O ring seep and it would start hard. When it did start it sounded like it was flooded when first started.
    The filter housing on top of the motor is the fuel filter bowl....

If they had any of the high pressure oil side apart during the pan replacement, that may be causing the hard starts. For instance HPOP pulled off, injector out, etc. this introduces air into the oil side of the injection causing rougher starts. In my truck it takes about 50-75 miles of driving to purge all of the air out in those situations, but until then it will have extended cranks and rough idle starts.

How long have you been driving it since it was done?

Senior Member..now yer posting!
    thanks for the replies.

has at least 200 miles on it since, but not too much.

I checked the glow plug relay and that is working good. Fuel filter is newer and we did the water drain deal on it.

Thing that stumps me is that it starts great at times and some times it dont.

Only thing we are leaning towards is that some of the fuel we ran in one of our tractors had water in it, and some of that fuel made it into the truck. But not 100% on that.

The HPOP i believe is the issue and it needs to be driven more.

WE will see, i will keep everyone who is listening updated from time to time.

thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by jakedrew View Post
    thanks for the replies.

has at least 200 miles on it since, but not too much.

I checked the glow plug relay and that is working good. Fuel filter is newer and we did the water drain deal on it.

Thing that stumps me is that it starts great at times and some times it dont.

Only thing we are leaning towards is that some of the fuel we ran in one of our tractors had water in it, and some of that fuel made it into the truck. But not 100% on that.

The HPOP i believe is the issue and it needs to be driven more.

WE will see, i will keep everyone who is listening updated from time to time.

thanks again.
    Have you scanned for codes? Does it set of a CEL on the rough start ups?

On my 06 I have 2 on top. One is oil (size of a large Dinty Moore soup can)and the one on the driver side VC about the size of a soda can is a FF then another FF on the frame rail... Thats what the carquest boxes have stamped on them. Maybe diff on earlier years? dunno ,but hope ya got it fixed though.
    Last edited by Sprayaway Fox; 07-23-2009 at 12:53 AM.
    If a hammer,crescent wrench,duct tape, or JB Weld can't fix it........Its gotta be a electrical problem

Quote Originally Posted by Sprayaway Fox View Post
    On my 06 I have 2 on top. One is oil (size of a large Dinty Moore soup can)and the one on the driver side about the size of a soda can is a FF then another FF on the frame rail... Maybe diff dunno but hope ya got it fixed though.
    Your 06 is a 6.0l and his 02 is a 7.3l. The 7.3ls have just a filter housing in the valley of the motor.